Paramount Pro Colorado

3TOE

Very Active Member
Previously I had posted asking if anyone had installed open sights on a CVA Paramount. At the time the Paramount was not drilled and tapped for open sights, only for a scope mount.
Well I’m happy to say that I held off on purchasing one last year because I just preordered the Paramount Pro Colorado. It’s a.50 cal that comes with a set of Williams open sights. I can also remove the rear sight & install a base to mount a scope if I choose to apply / hunt in a state that allows them.
I sold my “bad luck” Knight Ultralite the day that I ordered the Paramount. Goodbye Knight!!!
I can’t wait to get my hands on it. I was told by an employee at CVA that they are behind on the release due to everything going on with Covid-19, but he expected the first shipments to start going out at in early May.

3AE9FA79-9D5C-4139-8F20-3F80FC7E5058.jpeg

If your trying to make us feel jealous well you accomplished it. Congrats on the gun. Let us know how it shoots and what load/bullet/set up you will do

If your trying to make us feel jealous well you accomplished it. Congrats on the gun. Let us know how it shoots and what load/bullet/set up you will do
Lol.. no intention to do that at all... I had a nightmare of bad experiences on 2 different hunts with my Knight last year & I’m convinced that it just had bad JuJu on it or something. Not to go into great length on all of the specifics but on one hunt, I missed an opportunity on a buck because when I raised my rifle for a shot my rear factory sight had fallen off. On another, my ramrod broke while trying to reload for a follow up shot. On a 3rd occasion I had a hang fire that caused a poorly placed shot requiring me to go into panic mode to reload and get another shot on the deer before I lost him. I’m fully aware each event was circumstantial, but I got to where each time I took it out I was like... what’s going to happen today?
I had contacted CVA about putting open sights on their older model of the Paramount at the end of 2019 & they informed me that they were releasing this updated model with the open sights. I’m just as happy to be rid of the Knight as I am with getting the new Paramount Pro.

3TOE,

I've been looking at the Paramount Colorado and 45 cal. Let us know what you think when you get a chance to shoot it.

3TOE,

I've been looking at the Paramount Colorado and 45 cal. Let us know what you think when you get a chance to shoot it.
Hey Brian ID! Will do... I would have preferred the .45 but they only offered the version with the open sights in the .50. I’m aware I could have had it drilled & tapped, but it’s no big deal. I’ve shot a .50 cal for 25 years or so.
I will let ya know what I think. ??

Congratulations 3 TOE that’s a great looking gun. If it shoots as good as it looks you will be good to go.
If that particular Williams Peepsight doesn’t give you the range you want you may have to go with the Williams FP with the target knobs.

Congratulations 3 TOE that’s a great looking gun. If it shoots as good as it looks you will be good to go.
If that particular Williams Peepsight doesn’t give you the range you want you may have to go with the Williams FP with the target knobs.
Thanks buckhorn! I sent you a private message asking about your sight set up. Get back to me as time allows. Thanks!

Never mind buckhorn, I just saw your reply. For some reason I didn’t get a notification that you had responded. Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will be here waiting at the house for me when I get back from my trip to UT.

I’m still in wait mode... I contacted Muzzleloaders.com last week & they are telling me the same as CVA. Late May to early June shipments. ??
I’m glad I didn’t draw a muzzleloader tag this year. Lol

I really want one of these iron sight paramount pro’s for Colorado antelope muzz tag I should draw this year in 3/301. If Colorado would do the rest of the draw —one animal per day....Like really just hit enter and let people know already !!!

I really want one of these iron sight paramount pro’s for Colorado antelope muzz tag I should draw this year in 3/301. If Colorado would do the rest of the draw —one animal per day....Like really just hit enter and let people know already !!!
If you order one now, you “might” get it before the hunt you hope to draw. I’m still waiting on word that the shipments are arriving. Good luck to you in the draw. ??

Latest update on the Paramount Pro. I’M STILL WAITING!!! Lol
I contacted Muzzleloaders.com a few day’s ago & now they are giving me an estimated arrival by the end of July.
I’m “almost” happy I didn’t draw a muzzleloader tag this year.

I drew a random unit 102 Wyoming Deer tag so Iam going to turn in my CO 3/301 Pronghorn tag an keep my points for next year most likely. To much on my plate with two tags already. good problem to have however. I will get one of these sometime this year hopefully and start practicing for next year or get comfortable with it for whitetails in November if I can get one by then and get it out some.

3Toe....I debated long and hard between the Paramount and the Ultra-lite and ordered the Knight, although the CVA is a prettier gun. Sorry about your rough luck with the U=Lite........curious, how'd the thing shoot, when you actually got to shoot it??

3Toe....I debated long and hard between the Paramount and the Ultra-lite and ordered the Knight, although the CVA is a prettier gun. Sorry about your rough luck with the U=Lite........curious, how'd the thing shoot, when you actually got to shoot it??
Hi how are ya? It’s not that big of a deal since I didn’t draw any muzzy tags this year, it would just be nice to have it in my hands after waiting several months.
As for the Knight, the gun shot very well with several different bullets. I had a few strings of bad luck with the gun including breaking a ramrod in an attempt to get in a follow up shot on a deer. (Don’t buy the Knight Bloodline bullets!!!) My front sight fell off on another outing. I only took it on 2 different hunts but I lost confidence in the gun because it seemed like something happened every other day. It really wasn’t the gun at all, however if you plan on shooting open sights, I would make damn sure you red loctite them & a back up collapsible ramrod wouldn’t be a bad purchase.
I did have to relax the tension on the part that secures the ramrod. The POI was different with and without the ramrod mounted under the barrel. After several attempts, I found a sweet spot that secured the ramrod & didn’t affect the accuracy. I hope you have far better luck than I did. I hate it , because I really liked the gun.

I Checked Sportsmans Warehouse in Heber today!

They Had 2 Paramounts!

Both Non Pro model though!

And Zero of the EL Bullets!

Hey Brian ID! Will do... I would have preferred the .45 but they only offered the version with the open sights in the .50. I’m aware I could have had it drilled & tapped, but it’s no big deal. I’ve shot a .50 cal for 25 years or so.
I will let ya know what I think. ??
No idea why CVA would not drill and tape the 45 for open sites. Seems stupid.

Glad you posted it. Had a friend that was getting ready to drop a bunch on a Gunwerks in 45. Now he went with the 50.

No idea why CVA would not drill and tape the 45 for open sites. Seems stupid.
I totally agree... When I first contacted CVA about the Pro I asked why they weren’t providing open sights on the .45 & I was told they just decided to offer that option for the .50.
IMO they would sell more guns if they offered every gun with open sights & drill / tap the receiver for a scope mount.

For those who aren't aware. There are no muzzleloader restrictions if you hunt the rifle seasons. You can use a scope, sabots, pellets, and even smokeless powder if your muzzleloader is made to use it.

My elk hunt this year is a 2nd rifle hunt and i'll be using a Barnes sabot because it's a better choice than the conicals that fit my bore.

So I contacted my friends over at Muzzleloaders.com & they informed me that the Paramount Pro Colorado will be delayed hitting the shelves of the US for at least 2 more months. That is crazy!!!

Finally got an email from CVA saying they are available. I will probably get one this winter and play with it for next fall.

Lol.. no intention to do that at all... I had a nightmare of bad experiences on 2 different hunts with my Knight last year & I’m convinced that it just had bad JuJu on it or something. Not to go into great length on all of the specifics but on one hunt, I missed an opportunity on a buck because when I raised my rifle for a shot my rear factory sight had fallen off. On another, my ramrod broke while trying to reload for a follow up shot. On a 3rd occasion I had a hang fire that caused a poorly placed shot requiring me to go into panic mode to reload and get another shot on the deer before I lost him. I’m fully aware each event was circumstantial, but I got to where each time I took it out I was like... what’s going to happen today?
I had contacted CVA about putting open sights on their older model of the Paramount at the end of 2019 & they informed me that they were releasing this updated model with the open sights. I’m just as happy to be rid of the Knight as I am with getting the new Paramount Pro.
How much did it set you back? It's sure is pretty.

The overall price with the muzzle brake & a few accessories after a 10% discount was slightly over $1,500.
I’m seriously considering canceling the order and looking at building my own or having one built for me.

It's definitely a nice gun but that is a little more than I am willing to pay for a Muzzy. I can get 2" group at 200 with my Encore.

Well... after talking to the guys at Muzzle-loaders.com last week & they informed me that the Colorado may not hit the shelves for 2 more months, I was surprised when she finally arrived yesterday. I didn’t get everything that I ordered, but at least I got the gun. ??
A12192C8-29F6-4B3A-8480-A8DC87AF3F25.jpeg

Please let us know how it groups. My buddy just bought one from Gunwerks. Cant hide money with that gun.

Please let us know how it groups. My buddy just bought one from Gunwerks. Cant hide money with that gun.
Will do! I just ordered some Thor Hammers for it, so hopefully I will get to take it out soon.
I have one of their rifles & you aren’t joking at all with that comment. Lol

I thought it came with a rear peep did you take it off? or are they not installed? Did it come with all the accessories they claim on the CVA website?

Yes it came with the rear peep. I ordered a picatinny rail for it so I can also mount a scope when I hunt states that allow it. I have a picatinny style rear peep sight from NECG that I plan to use so long as the height is correct when mounted to the scope rail.
It also came with all of the accessories. A ramrod for the range, a collapsible ramrod for hunting. A funnel, some Variflame pockets, an accessory pouch & a pack of ELR’s.

Yes it came with the rear peep. I ordered a picatinny rail for it so I can also mount a scope when I hunt states that allow it. I have a picatinny style rear peep sight from NECG that I plan to use so long as the height is correct when mounted to the scope rail.
It also came with all of the accessories. A ramrod for the range, a collapsible ramrod for hunting. A funnel, some Variflame pockets, an accessory pouch & a pack of ELR’s.
Be careful with the collapsible ramrod, not very stout. Mine snapped

3TOE
Curious what your thoughts were on the paramount pro Colorado? Have you tested it out yet
Hey! Actually no I haven’t. I’m trying to locate some Large rifle Magnum primers so I can go shoot. I can’t locate any here in Vegas & none are to be found online except for in Canada & the UK.

Hey! Actually no I haven’t. I’m trying to locate some Large rifle Magnum primers so I can go shoot. I can’t locate any here in Vegas & none are to be found online except for in Canada & the UK.
If your ever up to st George area hit me up if got some

Hey 3TOE, just curious, what are your thoughts on this muzzy? How did it shoot? I just walked out of a shop here in Utah with one. Wish I would not have went in there, again!!?

Picked one these up for my dad. He's been interested in a CO muzzy hunt for a couple of years. This is his first 3-shot group using 112gr BH209, with 330gr powerbelt ELRs at 100 yds off a bench.

Installed the Williams Western Precision peep sight. And an Arrowhead rifles muzzle break.

This isn't too bad for a 74 year old guy with bad vision. With just a little tweaking and some more practice, he should be good to go for elk out to 150yds with this muzzleloader. I want to call something in even closer though if possible.

Dad Muzzy.jpg

Awesome. I’m g live in Utah so can use a scope, but, I think the years are limited! Either way, I’m pumped for it. I’ve had two of the .45’s and sold them both before shooting them. Walked in basin sports last week, and told myself today that if I walked in there and this was there, I was buying it. And, it was there. Anyway, I’m stoked. Going to get the brake ordered up. Thanks!

Picked one these up for my dad. He's been interested in a CO muzzy hunt for a couple of years. This is his first 3-shot group using 112gr BH209, with 330gr powerbelt ELRs at 100 yds off a bench.

Installed the Williams Western Precision peep sight. And an Arrowhead rifles muzzle break.

This isn't too bad for a 74 year old guy with bad vision. With just a little tweaking and some more practice, he should be good to go for elk out to 150yds with this muzzleloader. I want to call something in even closer though if possible.

View attachment 107825
112 grains by volume, or weight?

I gave him a pack of the 270 gr power belts to try also. He started off with a few shots with them shooting 84 gr by weight of BH209. Didn’t have as good of results but he was just getting used to the gun and sights.

For elk hunting he wanted the extra energy of the 330s.

I gave him a pack of the 270 gr power belts to try also. He started off with a few shots with them shooting 84 gr by weight of BH209. Didn’t have as good of results but he was just getting used to the gun and sights.

For elk hunting he wanted the extra energy of the 330s.
when using powerbelts, that 270gr platinum would have been a disaster on elk. Very poor choice of bullet for an elk. I suggest you do some research on the lighter weight powerbelts so you have a successful season.

when using powerbelts, that 270gr platinum would have been a disaster on elk. Very poor choice of bullet for an elk. I suggest you do some research on the lighter weight powerbelts so you have a successful season.
The 270s are ELR's, not platinum. They would be used on deer not elk anyway. That is why he is using the 330s for elk. It was more for comparison of how they shot out of the gun to see if they would work for deer or not.

I have not looked at the platinum bullets so I know nothing about them.

I shoot 122gr by weight out of my muzzy. I think that’s about 180gr by volume. Never checked I guess.
The max load I have seen published was 160 by volume. So I feel comfortable with the 150 by volume load we worked up for my dad. I don't think I'd want him shooting 122 gr by weight, lol.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom