Partial Knee Replacement

kilowatt

Have any on you folks out there ever had a Partial Knee Replacement done and how did it work for you later? Did it solve the pain problem?

I have been dealing with pain in my left knee for almost 4 years now and after last seasons of hunting decided to get the Dr. to get an MRI done and see what is causing the pain and do something about it this year.

After having the MRI in Jan and then 2 different shots in the knee joint later and see if that helped. The 2nd shot was a "lubricant injection" into the outside of knee area. It worked good for about 3 weeks and then sort of wore off some.

So this past week I went to M.D. after I had an x-ray done the night before and he looked at them and the MRI and we talked about what he could and would do for me. He said that it all looks good except the inside of left knee that is bone to bone and told me that he could do a "partial knee replacement" and showed me an example of what would be done. I went back yesterday afternoon and had a CAT Scan done on the knee to see if anything that could have been missed.

So then we talked about the opening (Appts) and he is about 2 months booked out already. To make this appt. due to vacation trips I have planned, one in August going to Las Vegas and the other one the first 2 weeks of November going back to Vietnam, so I asked if we could do it in first week of December so I would be laid up during the winter only. He said if that is when I want to have it don, fine and will mark their books as such.

So NO HUNTING THIS YEAR....just the two trips and then get the left knee done. Smaller incision, less time laid up and better recovery time he told me.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Sound like a good plan Brian.

Personally, I would send the Doctor's information to the Draft Board. You'll get classified 4F and avoid going to Vietnam. lol

Brian,

Had it done December 14th. I was better in a month than I was prior to the surgery. I am 50 and played too many sports and tore myself up. It hurt constantly. Don't kid yourself though, the first 2 weeks after surgery are a living hell. The pain is unbearable even with taking pain pills like chiclets. I am looking forward to this years hunting season without any pain issues.
1608image.jpg

7557image.jpg

Here is the one month picture. They say 6-9 months rehab. I was better by February 1 then I was prior to surgery.

Rich

I asked a life long friend about Knee replacement. He lives in Petaluma and the surgeries were done in San Francisco. Although he says his first surgery failed, it really did not. He has a tendency to be grouchy, then point fingers. His was a full knee replacement and I understand you are discussing a partial replacement. I have other friends whom had knee, hip, etc... but they don't like to write. Here is what my friend said:

"As for the knee I had a full replacement and I have no pain. My surgery was more extensive because the first surgery to stem cell regrow attempt failed. Tell your friend to look into Smith Nephew Company. That's what I have".

Here is the link: http://www.smith-nephew.com/

I do not know if you are bound to a VA Hospital or may shop around. The best thing any of us can do is research everything possible on any such medical matter, especially when a knife is in play. I have friends who are Doctors and they have a combination of feeling as it comes to Patients + the Internet. In this the mix is based on how much technical information any one Patient can absorb intellectually vs rumors, sales, small bits of information partially understood wherein the Patient is both afraid and trying to make decisions whilst holding tid-bits of confusing information's. In this latter, a little bit of knowledge is worst than zero knowledge.

Good Surgeons appreciate good Patients asking Intelligent questions and options. Hence my feeling to use an old phrase; Caveat emptor (shown below for all to read).

It is sadly often correct that we as Patients instantly fully trust; All Doctors. I am not bashing Doctors but just as in Attorneys who finish last in their class and as so with Doctors, we still call each; Attorney or Doctor. Most do not like me joking in such a manner. However, by posting here on MM's it shows you are doing research. Keep it up. The more you know, the more you'll know you don't know.

I would ask if Arthroscopy Knee Surgery could be an option: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00299

Some Surgeons are biased and strongly lean to cutting because that is what "They Do".

If the machine that you sit in and it forces constant small movements of a joint is offered, it is worth it. The range of movement improves yet; hurts like heck.

Caveat emptor is Latin for "Let the buyer beware" Generally, caveat emptor is the contract law principle that controls the sale of real property after the date of closing, but may also apply to sales of other goods. The phrase caveat emptor arises from the fact that buyers typically have less information about the good or service they are purchasing, while the seller has more information. The quality of this situation is known as 'information asymmetry'. Defects in the good or service may be hidden from the buyer, and only known to the seller.

PS: The Draft Board(s) do exist currently.

Hey kilo!

I Think with My Hatfield!

I can make a Cleaner Cut!:D

And I Won't Charge you as much!:D

Best of Luck!

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

Thank you guys for the advice and well wishes on the surgery later this year. My hunting buddy just had his done last month and is doing great with his full right knee replacement. Yes, he did say it hurt like hell but used the pain pills quite often. Doing the PT and walking around pretty good and exercising like he was told.

Brian

Best of luck to you. Ive worked with guys as part of a team to rehab others from knee, ankle and shoulder surgeries. Aside from having a skilled surgeon, PT was the next biggest deal with respect to better recovery outcomes. Do your PT, just like everyone else has said.

Had both hips done ten years apart, couldn't be happier, knees are tougher to recoup, but I think it's real important to get in good shape before surgery and go by the book on rehab.....Good Luck...RAS

Had my left one done first of last year. As stated first couple of weeks are tough, you keep asking yourself who talked you into it! After that it will get better each week. Do the therapy as they direct no more no less!! I always believed the more you do the better, not on knee rehab set me back a few weeks. Looking like I will have to get the other one done in the future. Sports, weights, hunts with long hard pack outs just wear them out. I will turn 62 this year so its been a good run and its not over yet. Go get it done you will not regret it. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. GOOD LUCK
Magnum

Mag....thanks for the response and this winter I just may give you a call for some answers. I just turned 74 a few weeks ago and this will be my first real major surgery so kind of apprehensive but I need to get it done as still have points in 3 states and time is running out for this old fart as Eelgrass would call me...LOL

Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom