Pass along

joesikora

Long Time Member
I’m watching SOA on a big horn sheep hunt in OR it took him 26 or 28 years to draw tag. I’m going into 2022 UT elk draw with 17 points will be 18 hen I apply. So that buts me about 42 when I started. So my question is I think we need to have a chat with the DNR’s about being able to will these points to someone in case of death or your in no physical shape to hunt anymore.
Now I know there will have to be a lot of rules to keep people from cheating by selling their points to rich people but even at that if we spent all this money and time drawing maybe the hunting should be able to sell his points because legally these are the property of the individual.

What say you!?

Last edited:
Majority of people dont understand the point system in Utah, they all say they have max points when you talk with people and when you ask them what max points is they are usually way off and have no clue.
That being said how many people actually look at stats and how long it would take them to realistically draw a tag. For instance if you have 20 LE elk points right now and you want to draw the SJ unit it would or could take you another 12-14 years to draw the tag. The younger generations are only going to hope that we die off so that they can draw tags, because its that bad. My suggestion is find units you can draw and go hunt, or we push for more hunting opportunity to be able to hunt elk more often.
I would prefer they take the rifle hunt out of the rut, double up the archery permits but break it up that you have 2 week hunt, and a 2nd 2 week hunt, then end of rut you have muzzleloader 5 day hunt and a 2nd 5 day hunt. Late rifle hunt that is 5 days and a 2nd 5 day hunt. You only have to wait the waiting period if you harvest an animal, if you dont harvest you can enter the draw the following year, if you harvest then wait the 5 years.

You're welcome to have a "chat" with the DNR about your points but I'll wager that you'll never see points being transferred. Shared, yes. Transferred by any means, No.

Let us know how that chat goes.

Study the draw odds and pick a unit you can draw (soon) and go hunting.

Zeke

It'll end up in the courts at some point. i.e. somebody becomes paralyzed and can't utilize the points they have invested years and $$ in. I do believe eventually there'll be some way to transfer points as not doing so will create a liability to the state. When the points to draw exceeds the life expectancy of a kid.
It's a tough situation.. Utah's point system is envied by many but it does have its difficulties.
My advice... stay healthy. And make sure your grandkids/great-grandkids start earning points at youngest age possible.

You're welcome to have a "chat" with the DNR about your points but I'll wager that you'll never see points being transferred. Shared, yes. Transferred by any means, No.

Let us know how that chat goes.

Study the draw odds and pick a unit you can draw (soon) and go hunting.

Zeke
Hi Zeke, I bet not very good lol!
I wasn’t talking about myself transferring points I was just talking in general because so many people have spent so much time and money over the years! I don’t mind waiting

Transferable points are a horrible idea. It will only lead to more point creep etc. Hell tell me today I can do transferable points and tomorrow my mom, dad, uncles, anyone I can will be buying points that someday would transfer to me.

IMO the points game to many people is sometimes misconstrued. Buying points is a personal choice and does not carry any guarantees or value. Yes points can be used to improve your odds at drawing a tag but there are still way to many factors that can change all that very easily. It seems many times people feel since they have bought X amount of points they are entitled to something.
Transferable points should never happen and I doubt ever will. It would create a terrible situation for all hunters.
In regards to sharing points I think it should be allowed by every state that sells points.

Hey Joe, Just so you know, there are no sheep points in Oregon. It might have taken that guy 27 years to get the tag but he had the same odds as everyone else that put in for that unit. Ask me how I know? I am 0 for 42 in Oregon sheep draws

The thing I like about the Utah draw system is I seen someone drew a premium tag such as the Desert Sheep tag with 0 points how cool is that!

Hey Joe, Just so you know, there are no sheep points in Oregon. It might have taken that guy 27 years to get the tag but he had the same odds as everyone else that put in for that unit. Ask me how I know? I am 0 for 42 in Oregon sheep draws
Hi again hill. Oregon is some very extreme country though isn’t it?

Such a system would make all high-demand tags infinitely harder to draw, not easier to draw. Point creep would blast into the stratosphere. People who don't "inherit" several caches of points from various non-hunting relatives, would thenceforth never be able to draw. This should be easy to understand, yet this idea keeps getting put forth.

Hell No! Point creep is bad enough as is. A dude spends $10 on McDonald's for lunch, doesn't bat an eye. Same dude spends $10 on an elk point once a year and thinks he has purchased a golden Willy Wonka ticket. Utah could take that sh!t away at any time and you can use those points as toilet paper. If ya have 17 points go hunt...sheesh...it ain't that hard of a decision. Not being rude or nothing but passing down points is not a good idea.

What if the state went back to a 100% lottery system, like it is for the Sportsman permits? Then each year everyone would be on the same playing field, some would draw tags on their first year and others could never draw a coveted tag... With all the issues in creep we face, it is always possible to research a different unit with better odds to satisfy the itch. That said, OIL tags are another issue entirely, there is too much demand for a finite supply.

What if the state went back to a 100% lottery system, like it is for the Sportsman permits? Then each year everyone would be on the same playing field, some would draw tags on their first year and others could never draw a coveted tag... With all the issues in creep we face, it is always possible to research a different unit with better odds to satisfy the itch. That said, OIL tags are another issue entirely, there is too much demand for a finite supply.
You make some very valid points. I do not want to get rid of point systems because I have 15ish points for most everything in the western states. If I had no points I would think point systems were horrible. I will find units that I can draw with the points I have when I am ready to hunt. I wont get the premium areas but I like the fact I can plan for the future knowing when and where I may draw a tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom