Paunsaugunt buck found

Forky

First post here. I’ve got a rifle tag for the paunsaugunt this year. Down driving around trying to get the lay of the land. Found this guy as we were driving around. If he looks familiar to anybody and he got away from you let me know and I can tell you where he’s at. Also would appreciate any suggestions as to where we could put up the wall tent to camp during the hunt if anybody has any tips. Thanks in advance.

564FCD4C-9C77-42C9-A55F-4D6DB0B97944.jpeg

3F2AE7B8-A2D5-48E7-9952-84D4DEACEC2E.jpeg

50846A6F-5C20-40B3-9703-7AACA243BD08.jpeg

Last edited:
First post here. I’ve got a rifle tag for the paunsaugunt this year. Down driving around trying to get the lay of the land. Found this guy over by bald knoll. If he looks familiar to anybody and he got away from you let me know and I can tell you where he’s at. Also would appreciate any suggestions as to where we could put up the wall tent to camp during the hunt if anybody has any tips. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 12209

View attachment 12210

View attachment 12211
Nice buck, and nice post.
Mark

I am sorry, but I just have to say this. If I had shot him and he got away, I would let nature take him as it is doing already. I would feel bad to have lost him, but I would feel bad for years if I got his antlers and hung them on the wall. Just couldn't do it. Don't really understand why someone would want to. The one solace I have on the few animals I have lost is that NOTHING is wasted in nature. Even the antlers are eventually chewed up for the calcium in them. I would have failed in my mission and wouldn't want a reminder of that for the future.

I have a coworker that made a poor shot on a big bull in September, never was able to find the bull. He found the bull during winter still alive and still packing the arrow, watched the bull fade through the winter and found the bull dead in the spring on the same knob. This clown had a major dilemma on whether to do a shoulder mount or just Euro the horns because he had put so much time into watching him throughout the winter. My advice was not kind.

I am sorry, but I just have to say this. If I had shot him and he got away, I would let nature take him as it is doing already. I would feel bad to have lost him, but I would feel bad for years if I got his antlers and hung them on the wall. Just couldn't do it. Don't really understand why someone would want to. The one solace I have on the few animals I have lost is that NOTHING is wasted in nature. Even the antlers are eventually chewed up for the calcium in them. I would have failed in my mission and wouldn't want a reminder of that for the future.
No one is shocked a Texan feels this way

I have a coworker that made a poor shot on a big bull in September, never was able to find the bull. He found the bull during winter still alive and still packing the arrow, watched the bull fade through the winter and found the bull dead in the spring on the same knob. This clown had a major dilemma on whether to do a shoulder mount or just Euro the horns because he had put so much time into watching him throughout the winter. My advice was not kind.
Well good thing everyone isn't like you lol

Man, I love to hunt and I am a flawed human being. **** happens, and yeah we all should have utmost respect for the animal but at the end of the day **** really does happen. If you claim it Never happens to you I claim BS. Unless someone is a serial injurer let them accept and deal with the shame in their own fashion.

Do you think he is too far gone to be a legitimate bow kill,,, time and decomposition wise?.
Who knows with how chewed up he was. He’d been worked over pretty hard. But I would think if someone shot him on opening day or so it could be a possibility.

If it was found in spring it would be a lion kill, found around the bow opener it’s a bow kill, found during rifle season it’s a rifle kill...

Is there more to this story?
Did he shoot another bull?
Not sure why you called him a clown?

Man, I love to hunt and I am a flawed human being. **** happens, and yeah we all should have utmost respect for the animal but at the end of the day **** really does happen. If you claim it Never happens to you I claim BS. Unless someone is a serial injurer let them accept and deal with the shame in their own fashion.

As for me, I am not condemning the hunter at all. If you have never lost an animal, you are really lucky or have not hunted long. That said, IMO a set of antlers on the wall is for a successful hunt only. If the buck in question was killed by a hunter, it was not a successful hunt. So unless he wants to be reminded daily about his failure, why would he want it on his wall?

Heck hunters pick up sheds all the time and mount them, Where is o my god reaction on those who didn't shoot it.
If the guy who shot it wants to do HIS thing let him doesn't matter all if you aren't looking at it in your house.

As for me, I am not condemning the hunter at all. If you have never lost an animal, you are really lucky or have not hunted long. That said, IMO a set of antlers on the wall is for a successful hunt only. If the buck in question was killed by a hunter, it was not a successful hunt. So unless he wants to be reminded daily about his failure, why would he want it on his wall?
I think your alone on this one, but to each his own

I doubt it. But if so, then I am sad for the direction “trophy hunting” is headed.

And as stated, if it isn’t in my house it isn’t my business. Not making these comments for you, or for the the OP, or even the person that might have killed it, but for the many younger hunters who are reading this and may have this happen to them at sometime in the future. Just food for thought.

Well maybe the younger readers might want the rack of a buck that may have perished from an unfortunate circumstance, your message is that they shouldn’t want it? I think you should let individuals decide what they think is best for them

Well maybe the younger readers might want the rack of a buck that may have perished from an unfortunate circumstance, your message is that they shouldn’t want it? I think you should let individuals decide what they think is best for them

They will. Just giving my opinion.Just like you are. Both are valid

Last edited:
I don’t recall anyone asking for your personal opinion on the matter. Someone is trying to be nice to help a guy out who may have lost a buck. And here you are discouraging someone from claiming the buck if they wanted to come forth and tag it. Me personally, would rather have someone tag it and claim it, and not kill another deer, which ultimately would take 2 deer from the area instead of just the 1. But again, I don’t recall anyone asking for the opinions of the most ethical hunters to grace this site with their presence. So my opinion doesn’t mean chit. Just like neither does yours.

I don’t recall anyone asking for your personal opinion on the matter. Someone is trying to be nice to help a guy out who may have lost a buck. And here you are discouraging someone from claiming the buck if they wanted to come forth and tag it. Me personally, would rather have someone tag it and claim it, and not kill another deer, which ultimately would take 2 deer from the area instead of just the 1. But again, I don’t recall anyone asking for the opinions of the most ethical hunters to grace this site with their presence. So my opinion doesn’t mean chit. Just like neither does yours.

This is the WWW. You put it out there, you are going to get opinions. But you are right. My opinion is just that, mine

And worth what you paid for it.

Is this even legal?

Great first post.

Seems 90% or guys wanting info. The of her 9% are butthurt they didnt get to shoot a town deer

First post dude gives more than he asks. Good on you.

My opinion. Unless your real sure it came from this year archery, its natures now.

Or a youtube/IG flatbrimmer will pick it up next spring desperately trying to create some kind of content, complete with the proper amount of "dude, Bro, epic" uses.

Keep the rack as a reminder of my FAILURE. Maybe I would pick a better shot next time. Learn from failure. Don't brush it aside. The rack would be in my garage, not inside the house as a shoulder mount. Deepcolor's story bothers me. Don't know if I could celebrate the slow agonizing death of a trophy bull. It shows major lack of reverence for the animal, and I hope it bugs the guy every time he looks at it. If it doesn't now, it will someday. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but these things are more important to me now than the trophy is. JMO. Carry on.

First post here. I’ve got a rifle tag for the paunsaugunt this year. Down driving around trying to get the lay of the land. Found this guy as we were driving around. If he looks familiar to anybody and he got away from you let me know and I can tell you where he’s at. Also would appreciate any suggestions as to where we could put up the wall tent to camp during the hunt if anybody has any tips. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 12209

View attachment 12210

View attachment 12211

If you can send me a PM, I lost a buck in there last year. Fun and frustrating hunt especially to wound and lose an animal. If I can help you with info for your hunt will be glad to.

I completely agree.
It's one thing finding s big deadhead, but having to stare at a "lost" animal for a lifetime would be tough.

I know there are Officers on this web site and I'll bet one of you can tell us how long it takes for a human body to decompose in an outside atmosphere.
I had a family member pass away and he lived alone. His brother found him in his bed a week later and he was decomposed so far that he was not able to identify him from looking at him.
If that happens indoors what happens outdoors. I'll bet the process is faster.....

I don't that's from last year. Probably a few weeks ago but should be reported to the DWR.
Agreed! I don't know what the law is in Utah, but here in AZ, a person is required to notify Game & Fish BEFORE they can legally pick up a deadhead. Naturally shed antlers are no problem.

Hello Cooper, No, txhunter58 is not alone on this one. I agree with him 100%. To each his own I guess and if someone wants to hang a shoulder mount of a deadhead on his wall, that's his business. I don't! But thats just me!
Several years ago, I shot a 320ish bull with my bow but did not find him for 4 days. Needless to say, the meat & hide were beyond saving but the antlers were fine. The season was still open & I could have continued to hunt but I still tagged him. At first, I intended to buy a cape & have him mounted. But after a few months passed, I just couldn't bring myself to put him on the wall. The antlers reside in my garage as a reminder to not get in a hurry when tracking after a marginal shot.

Hello Cooper, No, txhunter58 is not alone on this one. I agree with him 100%. To each his own I guess and if someone wants to hang a shoulder mount of a deadhead on his wall, that's his business. I don't! But thats just me!
Several years ago, I shot a 320ish bull with my bow but did not find him for 4 days. Needless to say, the meat & hide were beyond saving but the antlers were fine. The season was still open & I could have continued to hunt but I still tagged him. At first, I intended to buy a cape & have him mounted. But after a few months passed, I just couldn't bring myself to put him on the wall. The antlers reside in my garage as a reminder to not get in a hurry when tracking after a marginal shot.
And the rest of the story: you broke all the mirrors in your house so you wouldn’t have to look at failure every time you caught a glimpse of yourself in the mirror.

I hope one day your wounds will heal and you can show “respect” and “honor” by letting the bull inside your house

And the rest of the story: you broke all the mirrors in your house so you wouldn’t have to look at failure every time you caught a glimpse of yourself in the mirror.

I hope one day your wounds will heal and you can show “respect” and “honor” by letting the bull inside your house
I literally spit mt dew all over, that’s the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time ?

The problem is people drawing blood, not recovering the animal due to poor shot/circumstance and then continuing to hunt.

If I were in charge, the law would read once you draw blood; you better find that buck or stop going for another.

No problem with people recovering a decomposed animal and tagging it after endless searching.

In all reality he was probably wounded with a bow. I hope the hunter is found and the buck is claimed. Just hope 2 deer weren’t killed with 1 tag.

Hey Slightly, like I said, to each his own. Compared to a lot of hunters I have met, I really don't have that many "Trophys" on the wall. But I am damn proud of the ones I do. It would be entertaining to walk through someones home that was full of roadkills, reconstructed sheds, and illegally picked up deadheads, and hear some of the stories. I would probably need to be "Slightlysober" too to believe them.

Yea I’d be excited just to find it,even if it was months later, but I get it if your into downgrading it because of the recovery timeline

Yea I’d be excited just to find it,even if it was months later, but I get it if your into downgrading it because of the recovery timeline
Trust me when I tell you that it was bittersweet when I found him. Relieved that I could close the loop, and angry with myself for the poor shot, followed by even poorer judgement for pushing him too soon.
The reason I never bought a cape and had him mounted was I would of had to tell the whole story every time someone asked. I am just not very good at leaving stories half told or lying.
The only reason I even responded to this thread in the first place is because of the potential legal issues that comes with picking up, or possessing, wildlife parts that were not legally taken. As I stated in an earlier post, DEADHEADS ARE NOT LEGAL TO POSSESS IN AZ without authorization from the AZGF!

Obviously didn't look close enough at the pics, definitely not from last year. Wouldn't want the horns just to know where it was found from the spot we lost track. Offer still stands if you are interested in help with your hunt. I do know a good tent camp spot if you can claim it early enough...i know guys for the rifle hunt get out there early to claim camping spots.

Agreed! I don't know what the law is in Utah, but here in AZ, a person is required to notify Game & Fish BEFORE they can legally pick up a deadhead. Naturally shed antlers are no problem.
Is this true? Several years ago it WASN'T as I know for a fact that you could pick up sheep dead heads. AZG&F would plug them for you so you could legally sell them.

If this is true, I know dozens of "poachers". :oops:

Here is a direct copy from this years hunting regulations:
Read it all and then you tell me.

R12-4-322 Pickup and Possession of Wildlife Carcasses or Parts A. For the purposes of this Section, the following definitions apply: 1. “Fresh” means the majority of the wildlife carcass or part is not exposed dry bone and is comprised mainly of hair, hide, or flesh. 2. “Not fresh” means the majority of the wildlife carcass or part is exposed dry bone due to natural processes such as scavenging, decomposition, or weathering. B. If not contrary to federal law or regulation, a person may pick up and possess naturally shed antlers or horns or other wildlife parts that are not fresh without a permit or inspection by a Department law enforcement officer. C. If not contrary to federal law or regulation, a person may only pick up and possess a fresh wildlife carcass or its parts under this Section if the person notifies the Department prior to pick up and possession and: 1. The Department’s first report or knowledge of the carcass or its parts is voluntarily provided by the person wanting to possess the carcass or its parts; 2. A Department law enforcement officer or an authorized Department employee or agent is able to observe the carcass or its parts at the site where the animal was found in the same condition and location as when the animal was originally found by the person wanting to possess the carcass or its parts; and 3. A Department law enforcement officer, using the officer’s education, training, and experience, determines the animal died from natural causes. The Department may require the person to take the officer to the site where the animal carcass or parts were found when an adequate description or location cannot be provided to the officer. D. If a Department law enforcement officer determines that the person wanting to possess the carcass or its parts is authorized to do so under subsection (C), the officer may authorize possession of the carcass or its parts. E. Wildlife parts picked up and possessed from areas under control of jurisdictions that prohibit such activity, such as other states, reservations, or national parks, are illegal to possess in this state. F. This Section does not authorize the pickup and possession of a threatened or endangered species carcass or its parts.

Ok, so is the buck in the first post "fresh"? According to some here it is.

But it isn't illegal to pick up a deadhead.

And thanks for posting that.

Hey. Debates about deer ethics are 1000% better than the news!! So thank you all!.

I dont think a mount of a wounded deer found a year later is to great of an idea. But never know coulda died behind a big sage...and u walked by it 100 times. Coulda died quickly. So theres that. And deer art is better than 90% of the **** they call art in San Francisco galleries...IMO!

Being ashamed from mistakes. We all should be ashamed. Except for JC. But mistakes are how a man grows. Reminding yourself of a mistake is a great way to remind yourself to keep getting better. Probably would keep the horns. And want em. Not sure i would mount em. Be ethical, respect gods animals, do your best, forget the rest.

Ok, so is the buck in the first post "fresh"? According to some here it is.

But it isn't illegal to pick up a deadhead.

And thanks for posting that.
Hello Bluehair,
Your welcome!
Again, I only post this to let people know what the law is here in AZ. I am not familiar with the law in Utah where the OP had found the carcass. Sure would hate to hear about somebody facing prosecution for simply picking up a cool looking deadhead, bleaching it out, and hanging it over his garage.
Good luck on your hunts.

Elkchaser

In utah all dead heads found out of season no matter the condition need to be turned in to the DWR that is if you want a chance to posses ownership and/or you suspect illegal activities might have caused the animal to die and then the DWR will determine if the finder of the dead head can keep it as in his possession of ownership.
Not for sure about during season The exact rule on dead heads. But whomever finds a dead head during season probably should turn it in to DWR if you suspect the animal had died by being shot. I suppose if the hunter that had initially shot the animal wanted to use his tag for current season the DWR probably would have little issue with the hunter tagging the animal, that is unless they suspected something illegal was involved in the taken of the animal (spotlighting, wrong type of weapon for the current season).

Why is a Texan concerned about what’s going on in Utah to begin with?

As if location as anything to do with this discussion.

But to follow thru with full disclosure: back in the 80s I wounded a buck that I didn’t find for 2 days. Between coyotes and buzzards there wasn’t much left of him. Because I found him I had a choice to make. He is still the only whitetail buck I have ever killed that was 20” plus wide. And a nice 10 point to boot.

My decision: I picked up the antlers and punched my tag. The antlers are bare and nailed to the wall of a barn open to the elements. They do serve as a reminder of my failure. I won’t and don’t ever want to forget. I never mention them to people unless they ask and I tell them the whole story. If it ever happens again, which it could, I would still punch my tag, but just leave him to nature.

But that is my decision and others may choose to do something different. Certainly this is not a black and white issue depending on the circumstances. As long as the person is truthful and whatever they do honors the animal, I can’t fault whatever they do with the antlers.

If it was my buck, I would want the rack. No doubt.

If I had waited a lifetime to draw the tag, spent days and days scouting the area, preparing by shooting my bow for years and hunting lesser units for years and years, and then I mortally shoot an animal and after all of that time and effort the only thing I don't get is the meat??? Yeah, I'd want the rack. And I'd put my tag on it too, if I could.

Whether anyway cares to admit it, a buck deer's or bull elk's rack (and maybe it's cape) is the only thing that makes it unique to all other deer or elk. Meat is meat. The deer's antlers are what get us excited, it's what gives us buck fever, it's what we can preserve forever as a reminder of a hunt. Don't get so hung up on trying not to be a "trophy hunter" that you forget that if it was ALL about the meat, we wouldn't bother spending as much time and effort and money on it. It's a package deal. Sometimes, we don't get the whole package, but if I get 90% of what I was hoping for, I'll be happy.

Just sayin

I would also put the antlers in the garage or outside somewhere. Every time I saw them they would remind me of what happened which would make me better in the future. I would be glade to just have closure on the deer to know what happened.

I am in the same camp with browning rage
I’ve killed a bunch of big antlered critters in my time. Some of them I didn’t find until after the coyotes and birds got all the meat but I got the antlers. I wish it hadn’t happened that way but I am proud of them and love looking at them and enjoying the memories.
Do I feel bad about not recovering one instantly? Yes but not guilty.
I’ve been hunting and killing for over 50 years and I know this thing happens occasionally. You can’t learn to not let it happen.
Those big old bucks don’t want to die. It takes all kinds of skill and luck just to get a kill shot. It’s not always perfect.

Several years ago, I shot a 320ish bull with my bow but did not find him for 4 days. Needless to say, the meat & hide were beyond saving but the antlers were fine. The season was still open & I could have continued to hunt but I still tagged him.

Really? I think once you find him you need to tag him. I don't think the rule is that you only have to tag him if the meat is still salvageable.

In my view, if you find a bull you shot that is now dead and you keep hunting you'd be a poacher. Am I wrong?

Really? I think once you find him you need to tag him. I don't think the rule is that you only have to tag him if the meat is still salvageable.

In my view, if you find a bull you shot that is now dead and you keep hunting you'd be a poacher. Am I wrong?
Hello grizzly, I mostly agree with you about not shooting another animal once you have already shot one. Not totally, but mostly. My opinion in that scenario is that a hunter should MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO RECOVER A HIT ANIMAL (honor system here!) before he continues to pursue another.
The bull I refer to in this post took me 4 days to find, and I had two other opportunities to kill a bull during that time. But, I am more stubborn that I am bright! I knew I had made a fatal hit on that bull, , , , and I was determined to find him, which I finally did. At that point, I felt legally, and morally, compelled to tag him.

Elkchaser

Hello grizzly, I mostly agree with you about not shooting another animal once you have already shot one. Not totally, but mostly. My opinion in that scenario is that a hunter should MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO RECOVER A HIT ANIMAL (honor system here!) before he continues to pursue another.
The bull I refer to in this post took me 4 days to find, and I had two other opportunities to kill a bull during that time. But, I am more stubborn that I am bright! I knew I had made a fatal hit on that bull, , , , and I was determined to find him, which I finally did. At that point, I felt legally, and morally, compelled to tag him.

Elkchaser
Gotcha. I misunderstood and thought you were saying after you had found him then you still could've kept hunting because the meat was ruined. That's why I said, "once you found him you need to tag him"

We're on the same page.

View attachment 12209

View attachment 12210

View attachment 12211
Probably got corona

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom