Payson cow/spike archery tag

Flamingmuley

I bought a cow/spike tag for next weekend and can hunt in any general bull area. I have heard good things about payson canyon, but have no idea where to go or look. This is my first archery hunt and I would really like to get some opportunities. Anyone willing to give a kid some advice on where to go?

Elk sometimes move a fair bit and can cover a lot of ground. There are elk in most canyons along the Wasatch, but no particular one seems to hold more than others in my experience. They are in one place one day and gone the next. One constant is they generally need a fair amount of water, and they will usually be away from the roads. When it's hot like it is now they will also need the cover of dark timber. Ultimately you really do need to just get out and look, because of how mobile they can be.

I bought a cow/spike tag for next weekend and can hunt in any general bull area. I have heard good things about payson canyon, but have no idea where to go or look. This is my first archery hunt and I would really like to get some opportunities. Anyone willing to give a kid some advice on where to go?

I’ve seen elk as low elevation as pole canyon on the Nephi side clear in canyons all the way to the top and down the Payson side. Elk are all over that mountain. Just a matter of turning them up... there is a lot of people up there around this time and it is very very steep. It can be an easy hunt IF you get lucky.. 9 times out of 10 it’s a very very tough hunt. No walk in the park that’s forsure. Very steep unit. Like said above. Go find a vantage point and glass your tail off. Good luck. Aim small miss small.

Hahahahaha you’re just now worrying about where to go hunting? Why didn’t that thought cross your mind in May?? These are my favorite posts.

good luck. You’ll need it. Especially if you’re worrying about where to go a week before it starts. Tons of people, very rough country.

Hahahahaha you’re just now worrying about where to go hunting? Why didn’t that thought cross your mind in May?? These are my favorite posts.

good luck. You’ll need it. Especially if you’re worrying about where to go a week before it starts. Tons of people, very rough country.
I didn’t think about or realize I wanted to do an archery hunt until the end of july.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom