Peak rut in SW Idaho.

Dave32g

I drew a 41 late tag.
I spent sometime in the unit this fall.
If you had limited time to go, what days would you want to be there?

Thanks

Dave

I have heard they are already rutting. Looking at the weather for the next 10 days, I would want to be out there opening week.

Chuck in Boise

Seems too me those deer down there rut the last week in Oct to the first week in Nov. I would be out that entire first week.
Matt

Wack'em and Stack'em

Historically closer to 10th.

You will see younger 3yr and under, nosing and pushing does from late Oct, but they are not the breeders. Big guys get serious in Nov.

Son and I have hunted the late hunt in 32 twice and both times they got real serious around 15th. 32 is quite north of 41, but I have been in unit 40 first week of Nov and seen early, but not peak rut then.

Watched several 2 points in unit 40 chasing doe's on the 20th. I'd be there for the first week if it was my tag. I'll be down there in December looking for elk

>Historically closer to 10th.
>
>You will see younger 3yr and
>under, nosing and pushing does
>from late Oct, but they
>are not the breeders.
>Big guys get serious in
>Nov.
>
>Son and I have hunted the
>late hunt in 32 twice
>and both times they got
>real serious around 15th.
>32 is quite north of
>41, but I have been
>in unit 40 first week
>of Nov and seen early,
>but not peak rut then.

+1

I shot a 17" 3x3 yesterday in 39. He was nosing asses constantly, but he was the only buck I saw, despite seeing 60 different does by the time I got back to the truck. I'm guessing a 2 year old buck.

Wait another 10 days, and those 170+ show up on that late archery in 39. Then you start to see 10-15 4x4's per day. I'm sure unit 41 is similar timing for the real bucks. Mid-November.

There?s always talk about the southern border units rutting a week or so early. Never hunted them enough to know.

I'd be very cautious about basing your timing on what 1.5-3.5yr old bucks are doing.

I've hunted the same low ground the last week of Oct for 15 years. Bucks as young as 1.5 will nose and harass does almost anytime starting mid Oct. 3pt's and even smaller 3 yr old 4x's will start to get into the larger doe groups as early as Oct 20th when we've had enough weather. That is not breeding, that is hopeful thinking.

The bigger bucks will always come later. I assume you want bigger bucks, not any buck.

That said, the timing is not set. Lot's of influences, some I believe no one knows. Clearly big weather that pushes all the deer would make me be early vs late.

Like I said, my guess is your at least a week away and as far as two weeks.

PS Amazing to watch a fully rutted mature buck when the does are thick. They work so hard to run off smaller bucks and frankly it can be the most difficult part of filling a late season tag.

Great. Thank you guys.

I know the bigger bucks are starting to show up in central Or.

I had some unforeseen family stuff come up and I'm trying to make the best of my time.
I think I'll put in a few days this week and maybe I can get back for the last 4 days if needed.

Thanks
Again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom