Peak weight and let-off

snoodafruff

I'm considering buying a new bow this year and need some insight about peak weight and let-off. I currently shoot a 65 pound Prime Alloy bow with 80% let-off. At a 30" draw length I'm getting around 300fps with a 385 grain arrow. I'm really interested in the new Mathews V3X 33," and the Hoyt RX7 Ultra. My question is, would I be better off staying at around 65 pounds and 80% let-off or bump up to 70 pounds and 85% let-off? I feel like I can comfortably pull 70 pounds, but holding 70 pounds with 80% let-off might get tough especially if I have to hold it for 10 seconds or longer. What are the trade-offs?....holding weight?.....arrow speed?.....comfort?.....draw cycle?.....Any thoughts, opinions, or experiences would be helpful. Thanks

Would the difference of 14lbs over 13lbs hold weight be too much for you?....sounds like no worries...

Am I wrong on 20% of 70 and 65 ?

Bump up to the 70 and increase your arrow weight to low 400s. Just jumping to the next stiffer spine will get you well over 400 grains. Will get about the same speed but heavier arrow. As long as you do not have any shoulder issues holding a 70lb with 85 percent let-off is not uncomfortable. What are you hunting with it ? I use one bow for everything deer to elk and bring a back up for when I eat shi# walking across a rockslide. What your shooting now ( 65lb 385 grain) is fine other than elk 9 (my opinion).
One thing to consider is that V3X 33 is 4.7 lbs, almost a pound heavier than the Rx7 Ultra at 3.9 lbs. The Ultra is more $$, however I hate heavy bows in the mtns myself.

Agree with the points made.....hold weight for the examples are negligible. You won't notice any difference there but it would be smart to pull both bows back. Depending on the draw cycle, the 65 lb bow could actually feel harder to draw (something else to consider). Some bows even have different cam settings that produce a smoother draw but less speed and vice versa. Carrying a bow almost a pound lighter in the woods all day will add up as well. Lastly.....I would definitely agree with building a heavier arrow. You could simply go to a Goldtip Kinetic Hunter (smaller diameter but more grains/inch shaft)....use a 125 grain broadhead and I bet you are in the 470-480 grain area without doing anything else. Good luck....always fun getting a new toy.

The Hold weight on the RX7 Ultra is adjustable from 80 to 85 with a simple allen wrench. 5lbs of draw weight will increase your speed more than 5% difference of let off will.

Here is an arrow speed calculator that you can use.

https://archerycalculator.com/estimate-bow-speed/

I can hold 80b draw weight at 80% or 85% a long time. I have a few Bowtechs that you almost have to push the arrow forward to let them down.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom