Pecos Burn

Zim

Very Active Member
Was curious if anyone has been in the Mora/Cleveland area recently. Saw this Hermit Peak fire torched a lot around there. I applied for both elk & deer 45 hunts this year. I only hunt that Eastern side of the mountain. Looks like my trailhead and entire pack in route burned. Along with the forest service road up to 10k. Was curious how bad it is. If homes burned there. If forest service roads are washed out from lack of ground cover. I’ve never had an area I knew so well burn like this. Expecting this to make the dismal draw odds even worse due to this. ? Thx

Most roads on east and north sides washed out, maybe the FS will fix the roads by the time your hunt starts but I would say they will probably close them on you, the fire burned hot and the snowpack is about 130-150 of normal so hopefully it doesn't get hot too quick this spring or the residents will have more flooding problems, lots of fawns and elk calves were lost in the fire, I ate my bow deer tag last year to help with some of the loss.
You should have posted this a couple weeks back.

Most roads on east and north sides washed out, maybe the FS will fix the roads by the time your hunt starts but I would say they will probably close them on you, the fire burned hot and the snowpack is about 130-150 of normal so hopefully it doesn't get hot too quick this spring or the residents will have more flooding problems, lots of fawns and elk calves were lost in the fire, I ate my bow deer tag last year to help with some of the loss.
You should have posted this a couple weeks back.
Although I live in Indiana, I know the Pecos better than any unit in any Western state. I have backpack hunted it five times since 1998, twice from Iron Gate TH, and three times from the East side TH's. Half of the area I know well was not in the fire. I'll be fine if I draw either tag. Would just need the info to form an ingress/egress strategy.

No on elk, but did just end up drawing the Pecos muzzleloader deer tag Sept 27-Oct 3. I expect it's not much worth seeking road updates until August. I do know of one TH that was not in the burn. But bet that will be swamped.

No on elk, but did just end up drawing the Pecos muzzleloader deer tag Sept 27-Oct 3. I expect it's not much worth seeking road updates until August. I do know of one TH that was not in the burn. But bet that will be swamped.
everything in Pecos is good unless you go into the wilderness towards Hamilton Mesa, Barrillas Peak. Other than that everything is pretty accessible

Thanks, I'm going to pull out all my old USGS & trail maps to get reacquainted with the unit layout, then contact the forest service for updates as time gets closer.

Does anyone know what is a shooter buck these days for my time period, late Sept/early Oct? I have a lot of elk experience, but just been on four mule deer hunts. I'm not nearly experienced nor skilled, just wanted to return to my beloved Pecos. I do have some experience archery hunting burns in the Arizona Kaibab. Those hunts were a blast. I know this is just an opportunity hunt, but I would like to have an idea of quality, so I know when to pull the trigger. I've not seen a Pecos deer since 2011.

Thanks, I'm going to pull out all my old USGS & trail maps to get reacquainted with the unit layout, then contact the forest service for updates as time gets closer.

Does anyone know what is a shooter buck these days for my time period, late Sept/early Oct? I have a lot of elk experience, but just been on four mule deer hunts. I'm not nearly experienced nor skilled, just wanted to return to my beloved Pecos. I do have some experience archery hunting burns in the Arizona Kaibab. Those hunts were a blast. I know this is just an opportunity hunt, but I would like to have an idea of quality, so I know when to pull the trigger. I've not seen a Pecos deer since 2011.

kinda depends what you consider a shooter buck, most likely youll see quite a bit of forks and some three points. But if your patient and willing to put some miles on the boots theres some pretty big bucks in this area, The unit is pretty big and loaded with deer. Best of luck to you. try and get away from the main roads, and you should be good

kinda depends what you consider a shooter buck, most likely youll see quite a bit of forks and some three points. But if your patient and willing to put some miles on the boots theres some pretty big bucks in this area, The unit is pretty big and loaded with deer. Best of luck to you. try and get away from the main roads, and you should be good
Back then I saw some bucks up to around 140" during my September elk hunts. I remember the locations. I am used to passing on a lot of elk & whitetails, and am willing to eat my tag if I don't see one I like. I'm pretty excited just to return and get to hike around up there.

180” or bust

If you know a particular area well and have seen deer in it in the past, don't give up on it just because it was part of the burn. From what I've seen, ? and elk move right back in to those areas, sometimes even more so, as soon as the new growth starts. Seems to me like they like it even better.

If you know a particular area well and have seen deer in it in the past, don't give up on it just because it was part of the burn. From what I've seen, ? and elk move right back in to those areas, sometimes even more so, as soon as the new growth starts. Seems to me like they like it even better.
Right, I know and am quite pleased the area will benefit. I expect I’ll try hunting it the same way I bow hunt the Kaibab deer. I am wondering if the bigger bucks will feed in the burn in daylight hours, or stick the the timber given the dates. It will be nice if I tag out early on my WY elk hunt, as I’ll have more time to scout the Pecos.

Zim,
In the next month I will be packing in the area you shot your 45 bull, not the exact trail but close enough to get a condition assessment. Will keep an eye out for deer

Zim,
In the next month I will be packing in the area you shot your 45 bull, not the exact trail but close enough to get a condition assessment. Will keep an eye out for deer
Oh thanks! Take a few photos too if possible.

Zim,
Zia, those are some good looking mules bud! Don’t get better than that!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom