Penn reels

I don’t see many guys using Penn reels anymore. Probably 30 years ago I bought 3 Penn 209 level reels for about $15 each, and put lead core line on them. I’ve used them a lot and they still work great. I don’t need anymore but I certainly have enjoyed the ones I own.

I think they were really popular and made to last back in the 50s and 60s.

Just got 2-140 Squidders and 1 Jigmaster 500.
Going to put in new carbontex drag washers and stainless gear sleeves.
Top off with 40lb Trilene Big Game.
Looking at the Okuma Battle Cat Rods.
About to start hunting Flathead Catfish.

Hey Lumpy!

Them Older PENNS are Still Some of the Best Ever Built!

AND MADE IN THE USA!
That is a fact BC. Sure seems it’s mostly throw away products today.

Kind of wish I was able to see that collection in person, might be tempted to buy a smaller model, just for the sake of nostalgia. I’ve got a small basement windowsill collection of some old antique fishing gear I’d add to.

I was using squidders and jig masters growing up in the '70s. Newell made upgrade kits for Penn reels before they started making their own reels. Aluminum spools, bases, and support bars. I still have a few of those old reels.

Last year I took a 10 day long range trip out of San Diego. I purchased a penn fathom 25n 2 speed reel for the trip. That was my go to rig for most of the trip. I put 65# braid with a 25 yard 40# fluro top shot. Landed tuna, dorado, wahoo, and marlin up to 180 lbs.

My grandpa left me an old Penn reel still in the box from the 50's there are a couple of guys here in California that want it bad... Collectors I guess but not for sale.....
I use the new Shimano Talic 10, 11

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom