Pennsylvania record elk - odd statement

brushcreek

“I had seen several bulls that were bigger than my 390 best, but this bull was enormous. I saw him on the second day, and when he came in he was 18 yards away. I held off because I was shooting a 7mm Dakota with a 180-grain Berger bullet and that wouldn’t have been an ethical shot. I wish I had my bow.”

I'm trying to understand what is unethical about an 18 yard rifle shot.

I’m thinking he is talking about bullet performance at 18 yds, however I don’t see anything unethical about putting a 180 grain Berger in the heart of a bull at said distance.

from the pics.....a long range rifle and bullet seems like a poor choice.....aside for the dead elk

I can speak from experience that Berger Bullets explode on contact at these types of ranges coming out of these very capable rifles.
My 30-06 ate those suckers up and killed many many deer and elk from 200-600 yards.
I then shot a doe antelope at 40 yards straight on in the chest. It didn’t penetrate the body cavity. She ran so I shot again and I had the same performance. She ran out to 100 yards and turned broadside. I shot and dropped her.

I can see where this guy is coming from.

Funny this is posted here, I was actually just reading this story right before I got on to MM and was asking myself the same question.

I can speak from experience that Berger Bullets explode on contact at these types of ranges coming out of these very capable rifles.
My 30-06 ate those suckers up and killed many many deer and elk from 200-600 yards.
I then shot a doe antelope at 40 yards straight on in the chest. It didn’t penetrate the body cavity. She ran so I shot again and I had the same performance. She ran out to 100 yards and turned broadside. I shot and dropped her.

I can see where this guy is coming from.
18 vs. 70 yards??

PA elk are dumber and more docile than a yellowstone buffalo. My son walked up to a giant biologic bull eating crab apples on his knees, and it could've cared less. They spend most of their time in fields that are designated by the state, or a rancher trying to grow antlers in food plots. Son was in PA on a mission.

“I had seen several bulls that were bigger than my 390 best, but this bull was enormous. I saw him on the second day, and when he came in he was 18 yards away. I held off because I was shooting a 7mm Dakota with a 180-grain Berger bullet and that wouldn’t have been an ethical shot. I wish I had my bow.”

That was miss quoted. The bull was behind brush and trees and an ethical shot was not presented at 18 yards.

Maybe when he said it was unethical, he didn't mean as a kill shot, but he meant it more like shooting fish in a barrel isn't ethical..? I'm guessing he realized the elk there, especially during the rut, are basically cattle.

I admire that he didn’t take the shot at 18 yards and obviously he would have taken it if he had it. I like reading the jealous comments. Great Bull, he new what he was doing that’s how he got the tag.

I didn't know you could elephant hunt in Pennsylvania. What a bull

“One day, Kramer had the bull he eventually killed at 18 yards, but he couldn’t get an ethical shot as the bull’s cows were milling too close to it. “I thought he was going to come right for us because we were standing right in the game trail,” he said. “I kind of wish I had taken my bow.” They hunted that bull for the next few days. Finally, at 70 yards and with a clear shooting lane, Kramer made one shot with his 7mm Dakota shooting a 180-grain Berger bullet. “

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom