Pentax DCF SP 10x43 Good?

oregonmuley

Very Active Member
OK, sorry to post another question on binoculars, I tried searching for other posts on the Pentax but can't find them.

Anyway, anyone out there use these? How do they stack up against other stuff in this price range. I know it all depends on each persons eye and how things look, and I know it would be nice to own a pair of Swaro 10x43 EL's but at $1779 I just can't swing it. It seems that from what everyone has posted these are great - for the money. I'm having a hard time finding them in my area so can't see them to try out.

The other ones that I'm intrigueg with are the Zeiss ClassiC 10x40 that you can get from cabelas. Anybody use these, at $799 they seem like a good deal for a Zeiss.
Appreciate any good/bad imput on these.
Thanks
Frank

I have the pentax DCF SP in 12.5x50 and they are awesome glass. But they are not Swaros! but they were also not $1700, the pentax are very good and just lack a little of brightness compared side by side with the swaros in low light. When I have the money I will be buying some Swaros.

Thanks - I realize they are not the same as $1700+ binoculars. The problem I have with some of the cheaper ones is that the focus seems really narrow, you can only focus on one thing and are always trying to focus when glassing. I have a pair of Minox 8x32's that really for the money are OK - for just looking at some things but when you are trying to pick apart a clearcut like we hunt its tough to see the finer details, brightness isn't the biggest issue for me its the eyestrain from the focus issue.
Thanks for th imput - I think the Pentax might be a decent option.
Frank

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-05 AT 06:11PM (MST)[p]You pretty well hit the nail on the head; the Pentax DCF SP's are great for the money, but they're not Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski. If you can swing $799.99 for the Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC's, that's what I'd suggest you get. I'll bet if you got the Pentax you'd be looking to upgrade sometime down the road...not with the ClassiC's.

The design of the ClassiC's might be a little old school, but they're still the binos all others are judged against because they have such a good reputation for quality and durability.

I by no means advocate a person skimp on optics, but I also don't think it takes $2000.00 to get a great binocular. Take it for whatever it's worth, but I've owned a bunch of different binos including Leupold Wind Rivers, Pentax DCF SP's, Leica BA/BN's, Zeiss ClassiC's, Zeiss Victory II's, Nikon Venturer LX's, and both Swarovski SLC's and EL's, and the ones that remain are the Nikon Venturer 10x42's and Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC's...

Just my .02$

As has been said many times over, the best glass is the high end Germans, at the accompanying skyhigh price tag.
That said, I own both the Pentax DCF 9x63 and Zeiss 8x30 binos and have used them for years. They give the big dollar guys a real run for the money. Bright, clear to the edges, and easy on the pocket book...

Stop Global Whining

I recently purchased the DCF SP 10x43s. I think they are great glass for the money. There crisp and clear and have performed surprisingly well in very low light conditions. In fact, my buddy has the older Swarovski SLC 10x42s and my Pentax gather just as much light in low light conditions and are jsut as clear. Granted the new Swarovski SLCs or ELs with the Swarobright are most likely better in low light, but there is roughly a $700 to $1100 difference in cost between the two binoculars. Some on here have suggested that with the Pentax you get 93-94% of the optical quality of what you would get from Swarovski's, Leica's or the high end Nikon's, but if you don't have the money to go high end - I don't think you can go wrong with the Pentax. I compared the Pentax's with Kahles, Zeiss Conquests, and Cabela's Alaskan Guide and found the Pentax to be superior in both clarity and specifications and for $473.00 shipped I couldn't be happier.

Thanks everyone, I know this has almost been talked to death but never know if someone found something new and improved - I'm leaning toward the ClassiC Zeiss but still need to look at the Pentax, can't seem to find anyone here in the area I live that carries them but will keep trying before I order the Zeiss.

Also, Foreman4x4 sent you a PM.
Thanks
Frank

Oregonmuley:

I just ordered a pair of 10x43 DCF SP from Camerland for 410.00 shipped. They should be on my doorstep when I get home. That price is almost 200 bones cheaper then Cabelas, or just about anyone else for that matter. I can't wait to try those puppies out!

FALCON, as I said before, you won't find better prices or better service than Doug at Cameraland offers. Let us know what you think of the SP's after you have a chance to check them out. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with them.

I have used the Zeiss 10x40 classics for a long time now, and can't be happier with the performance. They are rugged and take a lot of punishment. I think for the money I would get the Zeiss Classics. I read somewhere once that said with optics, look at what you can afford, and buy what you can't afford. I dont agree with that, but if there is any way possible for you to save and buy the best first you will never have to upgrade and you'll be happier in the long run. I have also looked through the Pentax binos in the 10X and liked the ziess classics better. The zeiss seemed to have a greater field of view. Other than that, the pentax seemed to be plenty clear and have a fairly large focus range. Best of luck to what ever you decide.

Foreman:

Took the Pentax out yesterday on a late buck hunt in SE Wa. Didn't see any bucks, but the glass is awesome, especially in the timber where it is think and dark. They feel good in my hands, and they don't weigh as much as some other high end brands. I am pretty sure I will be more then happy with this brand.

I have a pair of Swaro EL 10 x 42 bino's and my buddy has a pair of Pentax 8 x 42's and I was very impressed with the quality and the visibility in low light conditions. If I was gonna buy a pair of bino's in the $500.00 range the Pentax would be the top choice on my list. fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom