pentax dcf sp

martinc

I would like to have opinions on these binoculars, ie pentax dcf sp 8X43 or 10X43. Anybody uses them ?
They got a very nice review from betterviewdesired.com and the price is fair. I understand that they may not be leica or Zeiss but money is an issue, and since I'm from the East, where we don't hunt open terrain, I will not use them as regularly as most of you.
And would you go for 8X or 10X, whatever the model/make ?

Martin

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-05 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-05 AT 10:26 PM (MST)

I'd suggest you do a search, as you'll find the subject has been covered numerous times. From my own experience with two pairs of SP's, an 8x43 and a 10x43, they're lacking somewhere around 5% to 7% of the optical quality of the big four, which I consider to be Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski and the Nikon Venturer/LX's.

John Barnsness, who authored the book "Optics for the Hunter", speaks highly of the SP's. If you want some more reading, log into www.24hourcampfire.com and do a search using either Pentax SP or something along those lines, or perform a search using his user name of "Mule Deer".

If you're a serious hunter and spend a lot of time in the field, it's probably worth it to save your money in order to get the very best optical equipment available. If you're a casual hunter and only spend a weekend or two in the field, you'd probably be tickled with the SP's.

It never ceases to amaze me how many guys won't bat an eye at spending $500.00-$600.00 for a rifle and another $400.00-$500.00 for a top quality scope, but they'll buy whatever binos are on sale for $29.99 at ___-Mart. Think about, which gets used more, your riflescope or your binos? I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have a $300.00 rifle and scope combo than a cheap pair of binos. Afterall, you can't kill what you can't see......and hopefully you're not one of those guys who uses his riflescope to scan the country side for game.

By the way, I prefer 10x binos. I currently own a Leica 10x42 BN and a 10x42 Nikon Venturer/LX. The Nikon's have the best glass of any binos I've ever looked through. Don't know if you'd be interested or not, but if you keep your eyes open, you can find refurbished Venturer/LX's for the same price as the SP's. The only drawback to the Nikon's is their weight, but it's not unbearable with a good strap or harness system. The refurbs carry the same no questions asked warranty as Nikon's new stuff.

www.ewins.com for refurb Nikons. (Currently out of stock, but they get new stuff in all the time).
www.17photo.com for SP's.
www.hotbuyselectronics.com for SP's. Some guys haven't had the best of luck with Hotbuys, but I've made two purchases that were flawless.

Another good site with reviews is www.optics4birding.com

My buddy has a pair of these Pentaxes and I was very impressed with them. We compared them to my Swarovski EL 10X42's. His were 8 power. They performed almost as well as my bino's even in low light. I think you will be happy with them. fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom