Percussion Breach Clean out

chrisamx

The cap clean out plug is frozen on my TC Hawken breech. I have tried many steps:
Soaked three days in liquid wrench
Soaked two weeks in 3 - 1 Oil.
Boiled in water for twenty minutes.

I looked for a impact bit for this, however, the blades are all too thick to fit in screw slot.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Chris

2480621be5b3cb26946f4a46c69d55bff31d7.jpeg

This worked once for me. Heat the breech plug on both sides and back while keeping a little bit of ice on the screw. Don't heat it too red hot. You can always find a small screwdriver bit for an impact screwdriver. Push down hard. If it doesn't work, drill it out and re-drill with little bigger threads. Good luck, that is a hard one.

Here are some afterthoughts: Use an easy-out if those don't work. Better yet, why worry about it. I never, ever used that screw. If I forgot to load the powder, I always used the nipple hole to trickle fine powder behind the charge or used a bullet puller and always completely clean and flush the breech plug area after using the gun for the day. If you're sloppy with your cleaning habits with black powder you're going to have problems.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-19 AT 08:24AM (MST)[p]Supposedly that hole is tapped and plugged after they drill the flash hole. I have a gunsmith screwdriver set that will fit the slot head on mine. You could replace it with a socket head if you can remove it.

You can adequately clean the rifle without removing it.

I carefully drilled down the center of the screw with a very small bit, then increasingly larger bits until the threads came loose. Pulled them out like a coil, put in an allen head set screw like the ones used on pulleys. Now I just leave it in when cleaning. How tough was it to remove your breech?

It was tough to remove. I had it soaking in liquid wrench for a week and then I used pipe wrench to get it off

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom