Personal carry

MountainSqwabler

What's yalls personal carry in the woods?? Caliber? Semi auto or wheel gun (revolver). Why do you carry what you carry?

I personally carry a CZ-P10C 9mm, and run just basic FMJ's. All I have to deal with in the woods are black bears and snakes normally....and the occasional a$$hat lol.

Rossi 351, Revolver, .38
snakes and hog trap dispatch , it’s 5 shot wheel, 2 cci #6 , 3 wadcutters
light compared with my 1911 Remington .45acp

How picky is that Kimber with ammo and being dirty? I've heard they love to run super clean.
I haven’t noticed it being picky with several brands of ammo I’ve ran through it. I’ve cleaned it after approximately 250-300 rounds and haven’t had a problem. Love my Glock as well but really like how compact the little Kimber micro is to carry. Killed a mature mountain lion with it last month that my hounds treed ?

I ran the the Buffalo bore with regular 115 FMJs practicing this last summer. Shot the with the same accuracy, but Buffalo bore had allot better ballistic performance at 30 feet.

Just my 2 cent. Glock 17.

While I often carry in town, I haven't carried regularly in the woods in many years, with a few exceptions.

In Alaska I often carry when packing meat, leaving the rifle or bow in camp.
Along the AZ/ Mexico border, I carry anytime I don't have a rifle, simply because of the illegal issue.

Throughout the remainder of the west, I simply don't carry when hunting. Perhaps I will choose to carry if just on a scouting trip in grizzly country, but honestly rarely bother. I'm just not worried about critters in the woods. And I have had numerous encounters with black and grizzly bears over the years, and even a few mountain lion encounters. The chance of a problem from wild animals is less than getting struck by lightning.

Now in some cities, the risk is entirely different.

Bill

I haven’t noticed it being picky with several brands of ammo I’ve ran through it. I’ve cleaned it after approximately 250-300 rounds and haven’t had a problem. Love my Glock as well but really like how compact the little Kimber micro is to carry. Killed a mature mountain lion with it last month that my hounds treed ?
Congrats on the cat man!! I've looked at the micro and love the look and feel but was always told to watch the cleanliness of them....I will have to give it another look!

While I often carry in town, I haven't carried regularly in the woods in many years, with a few exceptions.

In Alaska I often carry when packing meat, leaving the rifle or bow in camp.
Along the AZ/ Mexico border, I carry anytime I don't have a rifle, simply because of the illegal issue.

Throughout the remainder of the west, I simply don't carry when hunting. Perhaps I will choose to carry if just on a scouting trip in grizzly country, but honestly rarely bother. I'm just not worried about critters in the woods. And I have had numerous encounters with black and grizzly bears over the years, and even a few mountain lion encounters. The chance of a problem from wild animals is less than getting struck by lightning.

Now in some cities, the risk is entirely different.

Bill
I do carry in town, because people suck mainly haha.

I have had a few bears that gave me some issues but nothing that some yelling and a rock thrown at their heads didn't cure. My main issue is like you said, while I'm hauling meat. Otherwise snakes are my biggest worry. I've had a few nope ropes WAY too close for comfort. God was for sure looking out for me on those days.

it’s a 10mm. I love it but that being said it’s not that popular of cal. I wish I had a 9mm a lot cheaper amo and all the militia boys are using them. That way if crap hits the fan everybody can share amo if need be. Makes sense.

I do carry in town, because people suck mainly haha.

I have had a few bears that gave me some issues but nothing that some yelling and a rock thrown at their heads didn't cure. My main issue is like you said, while I'm hauling meat. Otherwise snakes are my biggest worry. I've had a few nope ropes WAY too close for comfort. God was for sure looking out for me on those days.
You won’t need anything for snakes in 61

In Western Colorado I have no need to carry, never have.
Ditto. I’m looking for crap to take out of the pack.

We have a few rattlers here, but they’re little guys - not like them booners down in AZ.

I never needed a gun to defend myself against sneaks.

I carry a S&W scandium alloy .357, with oversized grips, loaded with 38 +P hollow points. Works great if a finishing shot is needed, and less traumatic than my daughter going point blank on a deer's head with her .243.

Carry nearly every day in town, mostly my Kimber micro 9, but sometimes a .38 S&W. Occasionally in the spring when rattlers are coming out of den, I will carry the .38 with 7 1/2 shot shells to make rattler elimination easier when I find them coming out from under barn. Rarely carry in the field otherwise unless I want to use .22 to head shoot hogs in trap or similar.

Same hear tri.but in the spring and summer when I’m just screwing around in the hills I’ll carry one. Just for fun

I used to carry a 357 titanium revolver, killed a lot of Bears and Cats with my dogs. I can’t stand hiking with a pistol on my hip.

Ditto. I’m looking for crap to take out of the pack.

We have a few rattlers here, but they’re little guys - not like them booners down in AZ.

I never needed a gun to defend myself against sneaks.
Defending oneself from those rattlers that chase you down is definitely a necessity here. The other ones are often referred to as 'whoops, too late' snakes. Walk softly but carry a big...

machineun.gif

I eat iron, spit nails, and hunt bear with a tooth pick. And I still carry a 357. Not to afraid of the animal critters but more so the weirdo humans roaming the hills. Some real creapers have been found hanging around these parts hiding or evading for some reason.

Ruger single six 22 mag . I don't remember ever pulling it on anything. Ive killed a lot of rattlers. All in my yard, with a 20 gauge.

1911 with some really “stout” hard cast loads. Or a short barreled 12 gauge with buckshot. Depending on the situation.

What's yalls personal carry in the woods?? Caliber? Semi auto or wheel gun (revolver). Why do you carry what you carry?

I personally carry a CZ-P10C 9mm, and run just basic FMJ's. All I have to deal with in the woods are black bears and snakes normally....and the occasional a$$hat lol.
I’m curious where y’all from with your snake phobia?

Taurus Tracker 44 mag with buffalo bore. Long hard debate between that a 10mm. But just like the feel of the tracker better. Light weight 5 rounds is more than most people get off when under bear attack.

Usually nothing. In griz country, I go with Chester's lead. I always take a rifle in case I see a coyote. I did kill a coyote with my 41 mag in the Grey's River last year, but it was a fluke deal.

My daughter and I like to live catch snakes, I really can’t imagine shooting a high power pistol at one.

The rifle stays in my pickup unless it's place where somebody might steal it. Then I leave it at home or pack it with me.

.44 mag in the hills

And a hellcat in town or any public setting. I like the hellcat cause it's basically a micro and their new magazines hold 15 rounds

There’s some ornery ones up there for sure. I killed a nasty one with a 5 iron by Browns Park once.:ROFLMAO:

I pack a Glock 19 9mm on most strolls through the woods and downtown, not that realistically Ill have to use it but to make my self feel better :ROFLMAO:
Is that what CHANG takes with him? Or your buddy Chesser?

I’ve never even considered taking a side arm. Hell I don’t even own a pistol.

I have never understood the killing snakes when your out in the woods thing. See snake walk away from snake, the end. Around your property with your dogs around, different story.
Normally if i kill a nope rope, it's because they are too close to me, and backing away could get me bit.

Is that what CHANG takes with him? Or your buddy Chesser?

I’ve never even considered taking a side arm. Hell I don’t even own a pistol.
Good god man, I say I like a guy and you make it seem like I’m calling him daddy.

I don’t doubt you don’t own a pistol, hell you wear Patagonia, probably too scary for ya?

In the summer while camping, or fishing I carry a 45 ACP just for methsquach.
They are by far the most dangerous animal in the back country. Those who say their state doesn't have them is fooling themselves.

it’s a 10mm. I love it but that being said it’s not that popular of cal. I wish I had a 9mm a lot cheaper amo and all the militia boys are using them. That way if crap hits the fan everybody can share amo if need be. Makes sense.
The 10mm is finally making its way back, it should have never taken a back seat and you can blame those FBI snowflakes for that. There have been quite a few new 10mm models come out in recent years. Smith & Wesson just came out with the M&P in 10mm.

While most factory ammo is nothing more ballistically than a 40 short & weak, the loads it was originally designed for are pretty great. Best all around semi-auto cartridge imo. I got my first 10mm in 1990, an LAR Grizzly.

Heck after seeing that snake I'm going to carry a bigger gun.
that thing would be at least 4 hat bands and 2 belts. LOL

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom