Pics/Ideas of Bull Elk Mounts with 10' Ceilings?

DreaminOf200

Finally killed a good bull this year, and I guess I built my house about 3 months too early. LOL! Otherwise, I would have made sure to put a gable in somewhere to hang my elk mount!

So, anyone got any ideas for poses that will work with a 10' ceiling? I'd rather have him on the wall than a pedestal, but I may not have much of a choice. Thanks!

Most elk mounts these days are sneak or semi sneak, or pedestal. There are very few full upright mounts just because of the wall height necessary.
I have a semi sneak which makes the top of the head and the top of the shoulder about the same height. Unless someone knows what they are looking at you wouldn't notice it isn't upright. But even with the semi sneak it's about 5 1/2 feet from the bottom of the chest to the tip of the antlers.
I have it on a on a 10 ft wall with the antler tips about 6 inches from the ceiling and I can walk under it's chin but if I was 6ft 6 I wouldn't be able to. It has 48 inch beams.

They make a 90 degree semi sneak that has the head and antlers tilted back and you might get that height down to 4 1/2 ft.

You can look at Mckenzie Taxidermy and see the different mounts.

Here is a pic of my Dad's bull from last year on a pedestal - turned out great:

IMG_2064_zpsgrqi8hyb.jpg

Here's a few bases I've built for low ceilings. I know you're not looking for pedestals, but this might give you some ideas.

4055ashman005.jpg

346bluestainelk001.jpg

9623moosemount085.jpg

201lanesbull001.jpg

4521euro001.jpg

I built the base for this one but it was put together, and log added by a buddy. Turned out sweet!
1037408bull002.jpg

8017408bull.jpg

Hopefully this will help you out some. Good luck! :)

Thanks Elkster! Don't get me wrong, I really like floor pedestals, it's just the space that they take up. I have a cedar trunk that I made that holds three mounts, and I think it's awesome, but it's also big. My hope is that at least if it's on the wall you can still walk underneath it or have furniture underneath it. I guess I didn't realize when I was designing my house that I did a HORRIBLE job at leaving space for an elk mount!

I love the euro mount and best of all the background scenery.
Very cool

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

The reason their are not that many upright forms is not because of ceiling height it's because the antlers will hit the wall. Even with the semi sneaks those 50 inch main beam bulls you will have to tilt the head down a bit. And please don't tell me you just tip the antlers forward because that is not correct and will throw the entire mount off.

Wow! That was really good mounts, Thanks for sharing those ideas. Keep up the good work! Lincoln Taxidermy Studio has been serving the people of Lincoln, NE for many years. With a team of experts, who are individually specialized across all species of animals, we are here to provide the best service of taxidermy around.

I have 9.5 foot walls and have two elk shoulder mounts. To the bottom of the jaw is 55” off the ground. It is not something to walk under. The form is a 15” right turn. It is a space eater for sure.

It sounds like you would rather not go with a floor pedestal. Would it be possible to lift the ceiling and wall in any of your rooms to offer higher clearance for a wall mount?

I have 10' ceilings. You have to place them where you won't be banging your head on them lol. I would rather have them hung lower so you can look at them better! I hung one above the stairway.

010 copy.jpg

IMG_5078 copy.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom