Pigs in Utah

hossblur

Long Time Member
Just leaving Pintail, bottom of Ogden Bay.

Saw a sign from with a number to report feral pig sightings.

We got pigs in the swamp?

Don't Know About In The Swamp?

But We've got A Few in the State!

You Should Start Your Own Org Hossy!

HOSSY'S HOG HUNTS for WILDLIFE!:D

Saw this one down in the Basin today
E44DE4B5-AC64-4265-B62C-124F5463425D.jpeg

Just leaving Pintail, bottom of Ogden Bay.

Saw a sign from with a number to report feral pig sightings.

We got pigs in the swamp?
Yeah there are still a few to be rumored to be running around out there. Supposedly some airboat hunters saw some last month while coming back in the dark. They killed one on the causeway several years ago… if they take hold in the phrag abyss, they will do well in the coming years.

there was a place out in Corrine, I believe, that offered pig hunts a few years back and then they shut down.

Some of those pigs got out of the acreage enclosure so that might be what is happening.

Robb
You are absolutely right… I used to work with a guy that went up and archery hunted a pig on that place years ago. The guy that used to run it was well known around the Hunting Community.. From what I remember he had a sketchy reputation. Not surprised it shut down …?

Last edited:
Yeah there are still a few to be rumored to be running around out there. Supposedly some airboat hunters saw some last month while coming back in the dark. They killed one on the causeway several years ago… if they take hold in the phrag abyss, they will do well in the coming years.

Now that you say that I remember that pig getting smacked on the causeway.

If they eat phrag, I'm pro pig

Unfortunately that’s not the only thing they eat! There a menace you don’t want them in UT trust me
They don’t eat phrag (but I wish they did) and pigs couldn’t survive in utah with the “kill everything that moves” mentality the tards have here. There was/is a very small herd around utah lake. Shot one years ago and there were several others with it. Ran into them hunting ducks, by the time I figured out what I was looking at, all but 1 had run off. It did look just like a little black feral pig that you’d see in Texas. I have seen tracks I suspect are pigs occasionally over the years since in the same area, but haven’t personally seen them again.

Pigs are protected largely by no trespassing signs in Texas and elsewhere in the states. Public land pigs are almost nonexistent where access is easy. With the public land around here, they’d really only do well in the marshes, and even then, the duck hunters would work them over really hard every fall. Pigs in utah just wouldn’t work, even if we wanted them to.

You are absolutely right… I used to work with a guy that went up and archery hunted a pig on that place years ago. The guy that used to run it was well known around the Hunting Community.. From what I remember he had a sketchy reputation. Not surprised it shut down …?
Hmm I’m thinking of a name, did they happen to have hunts on Fremont island????

Turn a dozen pregnant sows loose in the swamps around the lakes, and you'd have an infinite number of live targets in 10 years, when all the deer are gone!!! :)

So you calling yourself a tard Bux???
I willingly get out of a warm bed, with a pretty naked lady sleeping in it, at ungodly hours, to go out into a stinky mud hole, in the coldest months of the year, usually in the worst weather imaginable, using gear, trucks, boats and guns I spent way too much money on, to shoot a bird that is quite honestly, less than ideal to eat when other options for food are endless, for the same price per pound…. What else would you call that type of person?

Selfish,deranged, wasteful, you could save a lot of money buying rotisserie chicken from Costco and maybe mall walking on the weekends

I willingly get out of a warm bed, with a pretty naked lady sleeping in it, at ungodly hours, to go out into a stinky mud hole, in the coldest months of the year, usually in the worst weather imaginable, using gear, trucks, boats and guns I spent way too much money on, to shoot a bird that is quite honestly, less than ideal to eat when other options for food are endless, for the same price per pound…. What else would you call that type of person?

We'll be needing pics of the entire process?

You guys don't want feral hogs in your state! Yes, they are fun to shoot, and make tasty sausage, but have no other positive value whatsoever.

You guys don't want feral hogs in your state! Yes, they are fun to shoot, and make tasty sausage, but have no other positive value whatsoever.
He is right, they destroy everything and are aggressive as well as take over areas. I once was able to go on a private ranch close to my house the ranch manager at first wanted no one to shoot the pigs because he thought it would be good for new growth for grass to grow for the cattle. Well after the first year they took over destroyed everything you would see half as many deer as you would be before the pigs and then the ranch manager wanted everyone to shoot everyone of them! The deer never really came back after that, I’m sure there were a number of issues that made that case but the pigs surely didn’t help.

Who Planted It Hossy?

Some QUACKER Hunter For Cover?
Here’s the best part

There’s many rumors floating around about how it came to be in Utah, but one of the more believable ones is that it was the state, particularly the DWR who brought it in to the GSL ecosystem, as an attempt as a quick fix to restore vegetation in the marshes, after the floods in 83 killed all the native cattails and other reeds in the marsh with rising salt water. From there it spread like wildfire.

Now, if that’s the actual truth or not, I’m not sure. However, It wouldn’t be the first boner move they’ve pulled that backfired hard on them in a knee jerk reaction and not looking at the long term big picture.

I've herd that it was the DWR that brought in the Russian Olive trees as a way to help the pheasant population.

Hey JakeH!

They Did!

But You Got To Admit!

Elk & Deer Like The Olive Patches as Well!

Them F'N Olive Tree's Will Take Nillers Favorite F'N Camo Off Likes It's Nothing!

I've herd that it was the DWR that brought in the Russian Olive trees as a way to help the pheasant population.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom