Pine Creek

Hitch

Quit by accident we drew Pine Creek late November cow tags. Thinking of heading out west of Cornucopia but Im guessing, never been out there and scouting might prove impossible this year.

Well even the lowest camp site I scouted was unreachable ,snow everywhere. We set up 40' off the pavement. Quite a few hunters near the main road as the interior was too snowy.
Sunday we tried the BLM land a few miles south and out of the snow. Climbed a ridge and were blessed with the sight of a cow nearly a mile north. then two ,three eight altogether. We were already above but climbed to about 800' higher than the cows and managed to circle in above and behind. Took the closest clear shot, around 125 yds , had to stand with no rest to keep them in sight, 65 degree slope. Dropped my first elk by 9;30. She tumbled down the bank 50 yards so we wrangled her on down to the bottom of the canyon. Field dressed only 1/2 miles from our truck. Still took until 5 PM for the last load. Ninty-five pound daughter packed out the small quarters, head, and tools.
Phones dont work out there so it was left in camp and I lost my bet the Halfway store would have memory cards so no camera...
Daughter will send some in a few days.

Great! Sounds like you made the best of a hard year! It can be a blast hunting in the snow but too much and it gets tough quick!

Back
Top Bottom