Pine Valley Mule Deer?

Hunted it last year. I did not think it was that great . Lots of pressure. It was my first time hunting it though. I’ve had better hunts on OTC tags in Idaho. FWIW

Yep. Last year was slow. Very few good bucks seen.

However, F&G keeps issuing more tags each year. ?

I don't think there are any units in the state that are as good as they were five years ago. I grew up in St. George and hunted that unit for over 20 years. Last year was the first time I've hunted it (early rifle) since 2006. It's not like it once was. You also need to remember asking a question like this on a public forum is only going to get you one answer from people that hunt it, a negative one.

Pine valley is one of those units that could be incredible if the DWR would ease off the throttle. Could be a great limited entry unit, right up there with the best of them.

We hunted it last year in the early rifle season. We scouted it for 3 days before the season and hunted hard all 5 days of the hunt. We went 1 for 3. I killed a 22" wide 4 point opening morning and my friends never had a real chance at filling there tags. I am sure guys that really know it do well, the unit clearly has potential. But don't think you are going to drive around and look over dozens of bucks looking for a shooter.

10-15 years ago I got real lucky and would draw Pine Valley every other year as a non resident for deer. 5 years in a row I harvested a decent 150-170 class ever year I hunted. Just loved hunting up there. Then something the next time I hunted there everything changed. I would go a few days before the season to tie one up, but this time, when I would normally see 8-12 taker bucks pre scouting to 1-2 bucks. Wow! That is the first year I came home empty handed. The following time I hunted I did the same as always, saw small bucks and 3 or 4 doe that had 3 fawns. Still no real taker bucks. If I draw this year I hope to see some decent bucks, but we'll see. Good luck to everyone.

Yep, good Gene's in unit for years. Use to be at least three draw units (Pine Valley, Comanche and Browse). Now it is all just a general unit and number of quality bucks are noticed.

However, still a fun hunt and probably as good as most general units throughout the state.

In all honesty it’s down right now. Still some good bucks to be had but you gotta get lucky.

it’s been over hunted the last few years and that late muzzleloader Hunt has taken a lot of top end bucks off the unit.

there are easier to draw units that you can have success in.

Hey ox?

There Any Sage Still Standing?

In all honesty it’s down right now. Still some good bucks to be had but you gotta get lucky.

it’s been over hunted the last few years and that late muzzleloader Hunt has taken a lot of top end bucks off the unit.

there are easier to draw units that you can have success in.

I get to go into a lot of homes here in southern Utah. I have seen some huge Pine Valley bucks. That I believe have never been seen by the public. They have some cool stories behind them. I just wish I wrote down some of them. But since the time of cell phone cameras. I have been taking some pictures of them. Some of the older ones I didn't get pictures of didn't usually pack a camera everywhere we went in the good old days. Those 35 mm cameras where pretty big. :)

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom