Pisscuttin'

Long Time Member
Took my youngest out elk hunting. It was on the same sacred ground I'd hunted elk with my dad, shooting a branch antler bull some 30 years ago. Dad has been gone for a couple years now and I did not anticipate the deep emotional response it gave me with my boy there.

20201008_153248.jpg

FB_IMG_1602358302049.jpg

This kid is tough as nails and stronger than his old man by a long shot. We got into some straight up/straight down nasty terrain and he was waiting on me the whole time.

We got set on a nice timberline sat down and began to glass as the sun fell in the western sky. After a short time, we saw three good bulls break out if the timber. With titanium hardware in my back I know my limitations and was very apprehensive to send one. On top of that it was a very long and awkward shot straight down at a 45 degree angle without any good shooting position. Had I been solo I would have passed and been content with the experience. Once my little man ordered me to shoot (he is all about military history and patriotism. Knows more american history by heart than the average college graduate) I sent one. As I was acquiring a followup I felt water falling onto my hand and realized I had just scoped myself for the first time from the awkward position.

imagejpeg_0(13).jpg

To make a very long story short I'll coin the phrase junior also uses, bad-a-bing bud-a-bang, bull down. It was a days long recovery process in some of the most beautiful-hellish country I've ever been in. I was pushed to do things I did not think my back could endure but in the end it is the most treasured hunting experience to date. With the help of some really good friends and Heavenly Father watching over us we got it recovered and out safely. Was the best time spent with my boy and my dad and even Cooper lamented he felt like his grandpa was there with us.

20201009_151901.jpg
20201009_152029.jpg

Last edited:
It's always a awesome experience to have the family along ! Congrats on some great life long memories ! Plus some great eating for the next year !

Took my youngest out elk hunting. It was on the same sacred ground I'd hunted elk with my dad, shooting a branch antler bull some 30 years ago. Dad has been gone for a couple years now and I did not anticipate the deep emotional response it gave me with my boy there.

View attachment 14601

View attachment 14599

This kid is tough as nails and stronger than his old man by a long shot. We got into some straight up/straight down nasty terrain and he was waiting on me the whole time.

We got set on a nice timberline sat down and began to glass as the sun fell in the western sky. After a short time, we saw three good bulls break out if the timber. With titanium hardware in my back I know my limitations and was very apprehensive to send one. On top of that it was a very long and awkward shot straight down at a 45 degree angle without any good shooting position. Had I been solo I would have passed and been content with the experience. Once my little man ordered me to shoot (he is all about military history and patriotism. Knows more american history by heart than the average college graduate) I sent one. As I was acquiring a followup I felt water falling onto my hand and realized I had just scoped myself for the first time from the awkward position.

View attachment 14600

To make a very long story short I'll coin the phrase junior also uses, bad-a-bing bud-a-bang, bull down. It was a days long recovery process in some of the most beautiful-hellish country I've ever been in. I was pushed to do things I did not think my back could endure but in the end it is the most treasured hunting experience to date. With the help of some really good friends and Heavenly Father watching over us we got it recovered and out safely. Was the best time spent with my boy and my dad and even Cooper lamented he felt like his grandpa was there with us.

View attachment 14602View attachment 14603
1911- thank you for sharing such a poignant story. Happy for you and your Son and a very nice Bull there !!

View attachment 14601

View attachment 14599

View attachment 14600

View attachment 14602View attachment 14603
that's great 911 with your son made it even better. Nice bull way to go

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom