Planning a Caribou Hunt for 2024

bjn7f0

So I'm planning a caribou hunt for 2024 and would like any helpful information.
I am leaning towards a guided hunt only because of all of the logistics to work through on a DIY hunt but have not ruled it out yet. My research is showing that the caribou numbers are down in many areas, so where could I expect to find good numbers of animals?

Can you please share your experiences with any quality guides or charter services that you have used. (preferably within the last 5 years).

Thanks

Rod Schue with R &R Guide service on the peninsula. Not big numbers of bou but they are giants and you stand a great chance if getting one. Hunt isn’t cheap though. Here is my bou and a few others in the background from last August. They were in velvet and were cleaned off.
4D72ED15-6C10-44BF-B486-D798DE31320E.jpeg

Rod Schue with R &R Guide service on the peninsula. Not big numbers of bou but they are giants and you stand a great chance if getting one. Hunt isn’t cheap though. Here is my bou and a few others in the background from last August. They were in velvet and were cleaned off. View attachment 74034
Rod’s brother works for me. Rod is great guy and has a beautiful lodge. Congrats on your caribou.

A lot can change by 2024. Plenty of drop off DIY hunt options out there. I would look at the southern brooks range herd. I could help you out with logistics etc. drop off hunts all in you’re going to be in it 6k. Guided hunts are about double that these days.

I took some monstermuley members last fall. We had a decent trip:

0C71D492-A995-42A6-ABA5-7CB80D677991.jpeg

They were able to do the trip about as cheap as possible.

You only live once, make it happen!

So I'm planning a caribou hunt for 2024 and would like any helpful information.
I am leaning towards a guided hunt only because of all of the logistics to work through on a DIY hunt but have not ruled it out yet. My research is showing that the caribou numbers are down in many areas, so where could I expect to find good numbers of animals?

Can you please share your experiences with any quality guides or charter services that you have used. (preferably within the last 5 years).

Thanks
The Alaskan Peninsula is a magic place for huge bulls ! Fairly good numbers too. Look for big shovels that are uniform & wide, very long top points, plus back points are another big plus.
Don’t mess up the cape - they are so beautiful & have amazing contrast. Enjoy ?!
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado ????

The Alaskan Peninsula is a magic place for huge bulls ! Fairly good numbers too. Look for big shovels that are uniform & wide, very long top points, plus back points are another big plus.
Don’t mess up the cape - they are so beautiful & have amazing contrast. Enjoy ?!
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado ????
The ak penn caribou pop is in the shitter. Not many opportunities to hunt bou there these days.

The ak penn caribou pop is in the shitter. Not many opportunities to hunt bou there these days.
How sad to hear that bad news ! My how things change there & all over hunting grounds . ??
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado ?????

My how things have changed..?
I did a DIY Caribou hunt up there 20 years ago..we hunted the Mulchatna herd back when it was flourishing and easily found 4 nice bulls.
A fantastic experience....hope you find a good hunt.

Screenshot-20220712-064036-Instagram.jpg

Screenshot-20220712-064029-Instagram.jpg

Screenshot-20220712-063959-Instagram.jpg

I’m booked with deadhorse outfitters for next year. They are a transporter only, but might be something to look into if it would work for you.

I also just got back from DIY Caribou hunt North of Brooks Range.. Its Doable just have logistics figured out..
I killed a Good bull hiking away from the road circus hunting..

I also just got back from DIY Caribou hunt North of Brooks Range.. Its Doable just have logistics figured out..
I killed a Good bull hiking away from the road circus hunting..
We did a fly in drop camp, so we were way far away from people. Had some grizzlies move into camp on day 3 and stay until we flew back out.

What did that end up costing? That's what I want to do.
the outfits I looked at ranged from 3500-5500 per person.

We settled on an outfit that charged $4,000 per. Tags are $855 rental car for 14 days was $1,800 flights to Fairbanks were all over the place but we got our round trip for $690 (from SLC), fuel was $4.58 in Fairbanks, $7.09 in cold foot and $8.09 in dead horse.

he outfits I looked at ranged from 3500-5500 per person.

We settled on an outfit that charged $4,000 per. Tags are $855 rental car for 14 days was $1,800 flights to Fairbanks were all over the place but we got our round trip for $690 (from SLC), fuel was $4.58 in Fairbanks, $7.09 in cold foot and $8.09 in dead horse.
Thanks for the info. How was the experience? Were you able to get into caribou? Would you recommend doing something like this to others?

Thanks for the info. How was the experience? Were you able to get into caribou? Would you recommend doing something like this to others?
It’s was exceptional.

I am not lucky enough to be invited by SS?.

But I have already signed up to go again. I would highly recommend that everyone do this hunt, and I would do it younger then older, the tundra is no joke. It’s like spending everyday and every step in the marsh.

We were seeing a lot of caribou out of the gate, but we had three bears (1 young boar and a sow and cub) move into our area around day 5. And weirdly enough it seemed as though the caribou knew it, and seemed to avoid our area after that.

It’s was exceptional.

I am not lucky enough to be invited by SS?.

But I have already signed up to go again. I would highly recommend that everyone do this hunt, and I would do it younger then older, the tundra is no joke. It’s like spending everyday and every step in the marsh.

We were seeing a lot of caribou out of the gate, but we had three bears (1 young boar and a sow and cub) move into our area around day 5. And weirdly enough it seemed as though the caribou knew it, and seemed to avoid our area after that.
So cool. I've got to get serious about saving up some money and making this happen. Thanks again.

I did a drop camp with dead horse last year. We had 4 hunter in my group we all got our caribou no giants though we hunted the last week of the season and think it was still a little warm for them to migrate but im no expert. I’m going back with them in 2024 with my brother in law who missed out last year gonna hold off this time for a giant and hopefully see a wolf too as they had a hunter bag one just last week up there. It’s a fun hunt plus the fishing is outstanding

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom