Plateau/Fishlake Muzzleloader questions

sambo3006

I hunted Fishlake NF in the Mt. Hilgard area for three years back about 10 years ago for archery deer. I saw some decent bulls including one big boy probably 340+ at 10 yards, that was a thrill. I'm considering putting in for the muzzleloader LE elk season. I've got 9 NR points and know it wouldn't be a guaranteed draw. Is that unit still a decent bet for quality? I would really like a shot at a 300-320 bull or a little bigger but I'd probably pull the trigger on just about any 6x6. I appreciate your input.

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

It took 12 points for the Bonus tag last year so it will be a long shot with 9 but you never know.
Sorry no info on the unit but good luck.

I spent a lot of time on that unit in 2012 as I had two brother-in-laws with tags (One as a non-resident). We saw bulls from spikes all the way up to a 411 inch monster that was shot on the same hillside we were hunting. My brother took a solid 320-330 bull and the other one went home empty but because of missed opportunities. If you find my 'Hunt Adventure Challenge' blog for 2012 on this site you can see several bulls that I got pics of. It looks like a long shot for you but if you do draw, it should be a fun ride for sure! You can message me if you draw and I can help you out where I can. Good Luck!

www.biggamedrawodds.com

300-320 bulls are fairly common on that unit. The Muzzleloader is a good season down there as the rut usually is still going when the season starts. PM me if you'd like more info

Muzzy hunt is an awesome hunt for fishlake if you know the unit and know how to hunt it. Foxskinner is right there was a 411 bull killed on the unit last year but I wouldn't run around telling everybody that because the unit does not produce that kind of bull very often. My hunter was the one that killed that bull and I don't even like to say it was from there because its not something that happens there very often and I wouldn't dare advertise it as a unit for 400 inch bulls. Hell i don't like to advertise it as a 360 class unit. If you want a good hunt that's lots of fun that you will see lots of good bulls and a few great bulls than fishlakes a good choice. I have been fortunate to guide my hunters to some great bulls and If you would like some help shoot me a pm I'd be glad to give you my input. Here are some pics of the better bulls we have killed

www.hightopoutfitter.com

8583image.jpg

2286image.jpg

6996image.jpg

2131image.jpg

I hunted that Unit in 2009 on a Muzzy tag. Fun hunt and a great experience. Hightop Outfitters did me right. I drew the bonus tag with 9 points.

My Dad had a muzzy tag in 2011. It was a tough hunt. The elk would bugle for about an hour after light in the morning, and bugle just before dark in the evening. Then the last 4 days the elk completely quit bugiling.
I completely agree with big6. Fish Lake has quite a few bulls, but it is a 300-330 bull unit, with a chance at a 340-350+ bull.

I hunted the 2012 early rifle hunt for Fish lake. My hunt was DIY but did meet BIG6 while hunting. I would +1 on what he said and if a guided hunt is in your budget BIG6 is the man. It's not an easy unit to hunt.

I was on the Fishlake muzzy hunt in 2012 and had a blast. I used High Top Outfitters and went with Brett Guymon as my guide. I didn't kill the biggest bull on the mountain...had a great chance opening morning at a giant, but I was still happy with the entire hunt.

I have hunted on the spike elk hunt there for the past 5 years so I already knew what to expect on quality and quantity. If I could do it over again, I'd be hunting the exact same area with the exact same guide but not jumping the gun and waiting for someone to say yes or no before I shot. There were a couple other High Top guides on my shortlist that I would have easily picked as well but it worked out pretty good because I would have picked Brett first anyway.

I had an archery tag for Fishlake in 2012, and I am going to restate what has already been said. The Fishlake unit is a 300-330 inch bull unit with a few bulls that will go over that with alot of work and time invested to get to these bigger bulls. Big6 is probably one of the most informed guides for that unit and can tell you straight up what is going on with the unit. I saw a few really good bulls on my hunt and had opportunities at some bulls that topped that 330 range. I connected with a 320-330 inch bull with a week left in the hunt. Great unit and loads of fun.

I should draw the late season rifle for Fishlake this year. This post has been full of great information. Has anyone ever hunted the late season or been there in November?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom