Plateau, Parker Mtn

PSEbackcountry

I was gonna hold out for the SW desert for goats, but instead go antsy an put in for this unit, if it's anything like last year, it's a 100% draw for archery, with that being said not gonna bank on it due to the youth putting in this year, that could change the whole ball game, but just in case I do pull this tag, I would like to ask a few things, not looking for anything giant just to see some goats and have a good time with the wife, this winter could change things as well, Is there as many goats as people claim down there, I know a few people in the recent years successful down there that live where I do. Just start there, an if I draw i'll post back on this thread to possibly look for a good starting point.

Thanks guys

We've hunted antelope on parker many times over the last 25 yrs.

In-fact, I personally have had LE archery permits there
in 2005, 09, and 2015. 3 permit in 11 years....

And honestly, that lope herd has steadily declined over the
last dozen years. Massive doe hunting and excessive buck
permits have cut the overall herd size at least in half.

In both 2005 and 2009 I was successful,
But 2015 was a different story, we had 3 archery permits,
all went empty.

Here is one of my Parker bucks, It's a good representation
for that units type antelope.

88081100313200.jpg

Keep in mined though,IMO, They are harder to come buy
these days than past years.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-17 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]goofyelk gave it to you about a accurately as it can be given, with one exception, his estimate was the herd is down by half, my estimate is that it's down considerable more than half. I've traveled through all parts of the unit, coming an going, to visit family, at least three times a month, for the last 15 years.

Are there antelope on the unit, yes. Do some get taken each year, yes. But no where near what they once were.

The same pressures have been applied to this herd of antelope that was applied to our mule deer herd in the 1980's and 1990's, and is now being applied to our elk herds, by the same system.

DC

Thanks fellas! Looking for a fun respectable hunt. Hopefully I made the right choice.

Hopefully if I do put the tag I'm able to get into them!

Yep you did. I was putting an exclamation point on it. goofy, you have got your eyeballs on a lot of country. You do get out man. If i ever go some where unfamiliar to park my back side at sun rise, am gonna come looking for you.!!

DC

73714img0058.jpg

My 2013 Muzzy Parker buck. Tough, Fun hunt. Not as many goats as there used to be. They are still there, just have to hunt hard for them. Good luck to you if you draw. I did and have seen bucks bigger than this one.

Thanks fellas for all the input!! Reading past forums. One last question, do they actually hangout on Parker MTN? Or do there hang in the somewhat timber on the north end of the unit? I'd imagine better goat numbers further south?

The antelope are sprinkled from north to south, east to west across the unit. If I had to pick a place where there are a few more, it would be the along south east edge, where the trees and the sage flats intermix.

DC

Thanks Lumpy! Hoping to make it down there a time or two before the draw results come out.

Thanks again to everyone that answered questions!

SW Desert Buck from a few years ago. Scored 76 7/8
41390img0033.jpg

Parker lope. Not a great pic but he actually scored 80 7/8.
26940img5770.png

Lumpy actually scouted up both!

I have hunted, camped and fished the boulder lakes for many years. Close to 40. The numbers of lope are indeed way down. Some have moved up into the timber so look high and low.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom