Poacher of 60 deer gets 14 months & $310,234.68fine

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
From Kansas Wildlife, Parks & Tourism:

SHARON MAN SENTENCED TO PRISON FOR POACHING 60 DEER

MEDICINE LODGE, KANSAS – John Blick, Jr. of Sharon, Kansas appeared in Barber County District Court on November 4, 2020. In the one hundred thirty-nine (139) count Complaint, Blick was found guilty of the illegal hunting and poaching of sixty (60) whitetail and mule deer, and being a felon in possession of a firearm during the commission of those crimes.

District Judge Frank Meisenheimer sentenced Blick to serve fourteen (14) months in prison. After Blick completes his prison sentence, he will be on Post-Release Supervision for at least twelve (12) months with the Kansas Department of Corrections. As part of the felony sentence, Blick was assessed three hundred ten thousand two hundred thirty-four dollars and sixty-eight cents ($310,234.68) in restitution that is owed to the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism for the value of the deer killed.

These cases were the result of a multi-year investigation by Game Wardens Jason Harrold, Scott Stoughton and K9 Officer Gypsy of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism. The criminal case was prosecuted by Barber County Attorney Gaten Wood. Additionally Blick was charged and plead guilty to 33 misdemeanors in Harper county and was fined an additional $15,000 worth of fines with Restitutions amount ordered of $17,407.04 for the 3 trophy deer that he killed in Harper Co in 2019 and also the forfeiture of his hunting privileges for 5 years from the date of his conviction.

The criminal case was prosecuted by Harper County Attorney Richard Raleigh. In both counties the charges pled guilty to included numerous counts of Criminal Hunting, Hunting with Aid of a motor vehicle, Criminal discharge of a firearm, Felon on possession of a firearm, Fail to purchase or to tag deer, Exceed bag limits, Hunt with Artificial light, Hunting without a valid license and take Trophy deer illegally. The deer heads will be destroyed in pursuant with 32-1047. All equipment and firearms seized is ordered to be forfeited to the state of Kansas.

KDWPT would like to thank Anthony PD Officer Becky Mendoza, the Barber County Sheriff’s office, and the numerous individuals in Barber and Harper County’s whom provided the much needed information over the years in helping bring this individual to justice. The information provided and discovered during the course of the investigation will possibly lead to future prosecutions of other wildlife violators.

poacher.jpg

poacher2.jpg

poacher3.jpg

Last edited:
I can’t even imagine having the mindset of just killing animals whenever you want and taking as many as you want, sounds like a narcissist, Ted Bundy of the hunting world

I wonder what happens if there is no way even if the government confiscates all your possessions of value you can ever possibly pay a government imposed fine as part of a criminal conviction if there is no financial way on earth you will ever earn enough money for the reminder of your lifetime to repay it?
Life long wage garnishment?

I have always said that for those that so choose a life of crime, laws are essentially utterly and completely meaningless and penalties for violating these same laws are as equally useless and meaningless as a deterrent to prevent the same career criminals from committing crime.
There truly is no way to prevent criminals form braking the law except by raising your children properly so they don't become criminals in the first place.

Laws and locks, only succeed at keeping honest people honest and keeping criminals as criminals.

Wait for it, wait for it, you know hes coming......

The restitution number is at least a start. Although the state probably spent most of tyst in investigation and court costs.

Taking a serial poachers hinter privileges, that will work

I wonder what happens if there is no way even if the government confiscates all your possessions of value you can ever possibly pay a government imposed fine as part of a criminal conviction there is no financial way on earth you will ever earn enough money for the reminder of your lifetime to repay it?
Life long wage garnishment?

I have always said that for those that so choose a life of crime, laws are essentially utterly and completely meaningless and penalties for violating these same laws are as equally useless and meaningless as a deterrent to prevent the same career criminals from committing crime.
There truly is no way to prevent criminals form braking the law except by raising your children properly so they don't become criminals in the first place.

Laws and locks, only succeed at keeping honest people honest and keeping criminals as criminals.

Why not? Dont pay the IRS they garnish.

Your theory is pretty naive. While you probably cant legislate morality, penalties do help curb illegality

Why not? Don't pay the IRS they garnish.

Your theory is pretty naïve. While you probably cant legislate morality, penalties do help curb ill.
I do not understand the intent or meaning of your reply.
Many a person given substantial financial penalties be they from our civil (non-IRS) or criminal court system use the same civil court system and it's laws to escape paying most of not all the fines and or financial judgments assessed to them.

OJ Simpson is an infamous example. After the Goldman family successfully sued him and was awarded millions in damages, OJ had already prior to the judgment hid or disposed of most of his most valuable assets and I could be wrong but I thought I had read OJ had filed bankruptcy/asset protection as well and last I read the Goldman family ended up getting very little actual money from their suit.

My point being is how does even the government get blood from a stone? And if there are ways to escape fines as a form of punishment what good are they.

As I already stated:
Laws are like locks,
They keep the honest honest and the criminal's criminal's.

Last edited:
I do not understand the intent or meaning of your reply.
Many a person given substantial financial penalties be they from our civil (non-IRS) or criminal court system use the same civil court system and it's laws to escape paying most of not all the fines and or financial judgments assessed to them.

OJ Simpson is an infamous example. After the Goldman family successfully sued him and was awarded millions in damages, OJ had already prior to the judgment hid or disposed of most of his most valuable assets and I could be wrong but I thought I had read OJ had filed bankruptcy/asset protection as well and last I read the Goldman family ended up getting very little actual money from their suit.

My point being is how does even the government get blood from a stone?
OJ's money (legitimate source only) comes from his NFL pension which is untouchable. If he were to get a job, his wages would be garnished. I don't recall him filing BK, but sure could have. I remember seeing him at the sports memorabilia shop at Ceasar's Palace in Vegas where Pete Rose and Mike Tyson were hocking autographs. Not sure if OJ did that as well, but that was all done for cash. No garnishing unreported earnings.

Sooo
I thought OJ was proven innocent in a
Criminal trial...Whether we agree or not.
So how could he be guilty in civil court for something that he was found innocent in a criminal trial?

Sooo
So how could he be guilty in civil court for something that he was found innocent in a criminal trial?
Just the way the justice system works. No need to be found "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" in Civil Court.

Sooo
OJ was found not guilty.....big difference. Jury's don't find people innocent....ever

Sooo
In civil court the burden of proof the plaintiff's lawyers must meet is known as "The preponderance of the evidence" weather the jury finds for or against the defendant AND most importantly in America almost 1/3rd of all states the jury need not be unanimous to find against the defendant in a civil case.

Also the fact the defendant was found not guilty (no jury in all of American history has ever found anyone innocent) in a criminal court of law per civil law has no bearing what so ever if they can be re-tried for essentially the same crime in a civil court.

Very often the state will hold off on a criminal prosecution as they know they can not get a conviction without the evidence that will be brought forth in the civil suit until the person has lost a civil suit as evidence brought forth in the civil case for what ever reason(s) was not admissible under criminal statutes now becomes admissible after being used in a civil law suit.

Shoot someone in a case of self defense or otherwise take their life or severely injure them even with nothing more than your bare hands and be found not guilty by a jury or even have the local prosecuting body declare your actions justifiable under that states laws and then sit back and watch as your financial life is utterly ruined by the person or his family (if deceased) sues you into financial destitution in a civil lawsuit.

And another little tid bit for you Fullcry the "Double Jeopardy Clause" of the fifth amendment of the COTUS is now dead as even if you are found not guilty in either a state of federal court of a crime the US government can now try you again in a criminal court of law for the same crime under the pretense you had violated the individuals civil rights and it is a separate crime all unto itself.

You must be a very young fellow fullcry not to remember what happened to the LEO's involved in the infamous Rodney King police brutality trials, trails meaning there were two criminal trials, one by the state of commifornia that the officers were found not guilty and one by the federal government where they were found guilty of violating RK's civil rights.

In criminal court you must be found guilty beyond a "Reasonable Doubt" much much more difficult burden of proof threshold for the plaintiff's lawyer(s) (which will be the state or federal prosecuting body) to meet to meet than the plaintiffs lawyers in a civil suit.
Difference in a criminal trial VS a civil can be over simplified by this statement:
Almost certainly guilty (criminal court) VS most likely guilty (civil court).

Last edited:
In civil court the burden of proof the plaintiff's lawyers must meet is known as "The preponderance of the evidence" weather the jury finds for or against the defendant AND most importantly in America almost 1/3rd of all states the jury need not be unanimous to find against the defendant in a civil case.

Also the fact the defendant was found not guilty (no jury in all of American history has ever found anyone innocent) in a criminal court of law per civil law has no bearing what so ever if they can be re-tried for essentially the same crime in a civil court.

Very often the state will hold off on a criminal prosecution as they know they can not get a conviction without the evidence that will be brought forth in the civil suit until the person has lost a civil suit as evidence brought forth in the civil case for what ever reason(s) was not admissible under criminal statutes now becomes admissible after being used in a civil law suit.

Shoot someone in a case of self defense or otherwise take their life or severely injure them even with nothing more than your bare hands and be found not guilty by a jury or even have the local prosecuting body declare your actions justifiable under that states laws and then sit back and watch as your financial life is utterly ruined by the person or his family (if deceased) sues you into financial destitution in a civil lawsuit.

And another little tid bit for you Fullcry the "Double Jeopardy Clause" of the fifth amendment of the COTUS is now dead as even if you are found not guilty in either a state of federal court of a crime the US government can now try you again in a criminal court of law for the same crime under the pretense you had violated the individuals civil rights and it is a separate crime all unto itself.

You must be a very young fellow fullcry not to remember what happened to the LEO's involved in the infamous Rodney King police brutality trials, trails meaning there were two criminal trials, one by the state of commifornia that the officers were found not guilty and one by the federal government where they were found guilty of violating RK's civil rights.

In criminal court you must be found guilty beyond a "Reasonable Doubt" much much more difficult burden of proof threshold for the plaintiff's lawyer(s) (which will be the state or federal prosecuting body) to meet to meet than the plaintiffs lawyers in a civil suit.
Difference in a criminal trial VS a civil can be over simplified by this statement:
Almost certainly guilty (criminal court) VS most likely guilty (civil court).
You sound like either an officer of the law or an officer of the court. Which one is it? You seem to be spot on regarding the law

Makes me sick!

A lot of lost hunting opportunity right there!

This clown needs to have his eyes removed as punishment!

If anyone has paid any attention, you know that I am at the front of the line for wanting to more seriously punish poachers.

While this guy's acts are certainly egregious, I don't remember the last time I read about someone getting 14 months hard time for poaching. That's a pretty good start, if you ask me. And yes, he'll likely never pay off the restitution, but would you suggest that they don't order it? The hunting privileges for only 5 years is a joke. He should never get to legally kill a game animal again as long as he lives. From the sounds of things, it won't stop him too much, but we as society can still do the right thing even if this dirt ball isn't going to follow the rules.

My question is WHY?
Why would someone kill that many deer etc, were they all BC deer or just nice racks and what would you do with them all if they were? He must have some real problems

Joe

The hunting privileges for only 5 years is a joke. He should never get to legally kill a game animal again as long as he lives. From the sounds of things, it won't stop him too much, but we as society can still do the right thing even if this dirt ball isn't going to follow the rules.
Apparently under Kansas law, 5 yrs. is the max for hunting privilege suspensions. The 5 yr. will apply to all states within the Interstate Violator Compact.

(3) Upon the third or a subsequent such conviction, the court shall order forfeiture of the person's hunting privileges for five years from the date of conviction and: (A) Revocation of the person's hunting license, unless such license is a lifetime hunting license; or (B) if the person possesses a lifetime hunting license, suspension of such license for five years from the date of conviction.

That makes more sense why he only got a 5 year ban then. Looks like Kansas needs to change some laws! Thanks for the education.

All he has to do is file bankruptcy. The fines are going

I can’t even imagine having the mindset of just killing animals whenever you want and taking as many as you want, sounds like a narcissist, Ted Bundy of the hunting world
I know, a,few, people that ,do , laws,rules licences,seasons, limits mean nothing to them their mentality is,if it's brown its,down. Day time night time.
Fawn doe buck bull cow Doesn't matter to them.

What a shame that they will simply destroy the antlers.

Display them at their various offices around the state, with explanations posted that they were confiscated.

Auction them off and use the money raised to go towards pursuing more poachers.

Do something, *anything*, positive with them, but why just destroy them?

Joesikora said:
My question is WHY?
Why would someone kill that many deer etc, were they all BC deer or just nice racks and what would you do with them all if they were? He must have some real problems.

Joe it could be a case he was selling the meat. While a patrol Sgt. in the hill area where I live we had one of the local Indians that was poaching a large amount of our local deer. He was selling the meat to make a living.
He got to the point he was killing more deer then he could sell and leaving the carcass behind. This really upset some of his family members that one of his own relatives dimed him out to me.
I ended up getting into a code three pursuit of him and he fled from his vehicle on foot with his deer poaching rifle in his hand. After putting about 100 yards between us, he stopped and aimed his rifle in my direction and I dropped his sorry butt with a 45 cal. HP to his chest.
RELH

What a shame that they will simply destroy the antlers.

Display them at their various offices around the state, with explanations posted that they were confiscated.

Auction them off and use the money raised to go towards pursuing more poachers.

Do something, *anything*, positive with them, but why just destroy them?
Utah used to have a trailer that they would take to different events and it basically looked like a concession trailer, they called it the wall of shame. Inside were poached animals mounted up and had a description of what the offense was, when and where the animal was poached.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom