Poaching case botched

You get in more trouble not properly signing or attaching you tag correctly than actually poaching. Thinks need to change. Was this due to improper procedures by Fish & Game?
Bill

Like with most crimes in New Mexico, it is generally the weak DA?S that don't prosecute the case. It sounds like the G&F officer did her job.

Sad that a case that seems so clear cut is having trouble getting a prosecution to have the book thrown at these lowlifes!! But be out there trying to hunt by the rules and make an honest mistake and you will pay for years! Doesnt make sense to me. I WAS a big advocate for NMG & F untill my run in with them and now this type of nonsense just reinforces my new POV about that organization. I know wardens deal with alot of BS but making people that are in the woods feel like they are just out there being mischeivious and breaking the rules is not right either! They need to create allies and not enemies and 95% of people I talk to have the same sentiments about NMG & F, wardens specifically!
All i hope is that the guys in this case get prosecuted to the fullest potential and then some!!

The liberals that run this state sure are criminal friendly ! I always shake my head when I see on the news after some gang banger kills or commits some other felony in ABQ they say a judge will determine if the suspect will be held in jail until trial or be let out on bond.... As far as NMG&F I've never had a bad experience with them.

Excepted behavior in northern NM. Even when they are caught red handed nothing is ever done. Most of the time the Prosecutor or Judge is related to the offender. This behavior is passed down from generation to generation. I was Turkey hunting north of Taos a few years back and we came across these two guys that had run off the road and were stuck... one passed out in the cab with a empty bottle of whisky the other asleep beside the road. We offered to help pull them out and the one on the road woke up enough to say OK. Then he looked at us an said why are you guys dressed in cammo ? We told him we were turkey hunting.... He said O No you guys are doing it wrong... all you have to do is go at night and shine a light in their eyes and they will just stand right there.....
Jack

I'm glad you've never had a bad experience with NMG&F. I hope you don't, because even when you win and think it's over and you are clear the Department will come after you on their own and make you pay whether you are guilty or not.

I dont understand why there was no news about this case on the G&F website under operation game thief....? Most of the stuff on there is old news. They have to be busier than the OGT indicates.

There was a buck poached in Bandelier-no news about that either??

I never have had a run in with NMG&F , only talked to some wardens in the feild a time or two....not saying they didn't give you a hard time just I've never had a run in .

As far as Northern NM I was up there once hunting elk and ran into two guys hunting on horses at 9am they were drinking beer riding around on the mountain ....offered me one too. I also ran into a local who offered to take me that night and kill a big bull if I wanted to. He said you're crazy hiking around these mountains we can just take my truck and go get one about midnight. Turned it down. We got to talking and he told me about getting shot by some guys that didn't like him up there and showed me 4 bullet scares he had on his arms and shoulders. The guys were probably drunk and couldn't shoot straight. Then there's been times I've been hunting up north and never had anything strange happen, met some good folks too.

Do you have to become a member or log in to read it? I only see the first few lines. An someone paste it if not.

>Do you have to become a
>member or log in to
>read it? I only see
>the first few lines.
>An someone paste it if
>not.

Same.

>Excepted behavior in northern NM. Even
>when they are caught red
>handed nothing is ever done.
>Most of the time the
>Prosecutor or Judge is related
>to the offender. This behavior
>is passed down from generation
>to generation. I was Turkey
>hunting north of Taos a
>few years back and we
>came across these two guys
>that had run off the
>road and were stuck... one
>passed out in the cab
>with a empty bottle of
>whisky the other asleep beside
>the road. We offered to
>help pull them out and
>the one on the road
>woke up enough to say
>OK. Then he looked at
>us an said why are
>you guys dressed in cammo
>? We told him we
>were turkey hunting.... He said
>O No you guys are
>doing it wrong... all you
>have to do is go
>at night and shine a
>light in their eyes and
>they will just stand right
>there.....
>Jack

ive had a "run in" with game dept...drove 60 miles to a judge over a $5 stamp for sitting in my pickup on state land with my gun in the backseat with a cast on my leg...just sitting there eating lunch on an overlook...judge charged me the max plus court costs...nm wardens are good...I got what I deserved...northern nm culture is different...the prosecutors and judges are sympathetic to the perps and sometimes kin..the kids in school sometimes play their basketball games with no fans because parents start a brawl...you have to empty your truck into your motel room or they will steal your stuff when they steal your pickup...my uncle stayed in alb one nite and they stole my grandmothers bible out of his car..lew Wallace was the first gov of nm...he once said what works in other places does not work here

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-19 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]I've said it a million times, our officers do more with less.Its not that the dept. picks and chooses who they will get , its all about what they can prove in a court of law. Many people call in efforts to help some with solid evidence , others just trying to get eyes on persons who are poaching without worry or habitual poachers! Not all citations are for poaching but for mistakes made.There are still consequences for those and some times persons even get upset that they are being cited for mistakes , like I said there are consequences and the officers do not pick and choose whom will get the punishment.It is the hunters responsibility to know and understand the law, rules and guide lines to hunt and fish New Mexico. I have cousin who was sited for jumping out of the passenger side of truck and shot a decoy and wanted to fight it as entrapment. I was like seriously? NO ONE MADE HIM JUMP OUT AND PULL THE TRIGGER & and they have him on video...Now its up to the judge, and UNFORTUNATELY so many judges state wide do not do the hard work of NMDGF officers justice....Poachers in NM ARE NOT AFRAID TO GET CAUGHT , until we start taking away all hunting and fishing privileges away and garnishing high penalties , no one will take it seriously!!! I HAVE ZERO SYMPATHY for them , its a choice.....Know if your on public or where private is , have all your required licenses, follow ALL the rules , know what the unit boundaries are and be certain your in your drawn unit, know the fish catch limit to the water your fishing , know the tackle restrictions.... Then there wont be any issues....simple as that...

When a local refers to Nat'l Forest as "their backyard" kinda hard to pursue and make something stick.

And it's these people that make me laugh everytime our idiot state legislature starts to talk about "sensible gun control". Good luck with that...

Simple as that? I dont think so. It's hard to be compliant with game and fish when their GMU boundrie landmarks DON'T match Google earth, USFS maps or their own little cartoon map!! Easy for game and fish to say cerrezo canyon going SE in the word description but the actual boundary is carrizo canyon going NE. How are you gonna be able to know where you are in a new area if this is all you have to reference? Now I use OnX maps since they seem accurate.

I agree NNM has a very bad hunting and littering culture. I grew up in this type if environment and still hunt and camp here, but I am NOT passing those traditions to my kids! We hunt and follow the hunting and fishung rules, obey bag limits and practice pack it pack it out religiously. We even spend time picking up the bud light cans along the forest roads and trash around our campsites when we go campling. It is very disheartening how much trash we pick up that others leave. I agree that the land use restrictions stem from these careless a-holes.

I am pushing the rest of my extended family and friends to join in doing things right and have cut ties with people I know are poaching or abusing their hunting tags by knowingly hunting in the wrong area with a tag drawn for another GMU.

It's not impossible to be compliant with G & F but I dont know every rule detail, even though I go through the proclamation thouroughly, so you could unknowingly be in violation. Honest mistakes are made and sometimes a warning is lesson enough to educate. I am the first to admit I am wrong and with my "run in" with G & F I was following THIER guidelines and I ended up hiding the ##### end if the stick.. threatened with a three year hunting and fishing revocation and having to settle by signing a stipulated agreement! My daughter and I haven't drawn a tag since our "run in" even though I put in for less desirable areas in hopes I can draw and we are stil sidelined! Then I read BS like this and my blood boiles!! I know it's not all G & F fault that this case is where it is but I know they have have something to do with the course it has taken....

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom