Poaching Question

SoloHNTR

I wanted to reach out to others to get some thoughts on whether what I found was a sign of poaching or something else. Sorry no pics. I am kicking myself now.

Last week scouting I came across a dead head with pretty much full skeleton still attached. It looked to be no older then the end of last hunting season as between the joints and in certain others area there was still flesh. It did look to be at least several months old.

The interesting thing was that the antlers had been sawed off clean right after the burr. I've never seen this before. My three thoughts were: 1 poaching, 2 shed hunter who didn't want the deadhead or 3 maybe some guys do this to pack less weight out?

we were probably 3 miles from the nearest road or hiking trail.

Any thoughts as to what this was?

Last edited:
My guess is a poacher would have taken the head. A shed hunter finding it 4 months ago and you saying there’s still flesh on it may have found a nastier carcass and didn’t want to stink up there pack/clothes. But who knows

I think most back country hunters don’t want to carry out a bunch of bones. Usually there just after the meat and horns.
As far as the antlers being cut off just below the burr, that is the way you would do it if you were going to do a euro and use one of those plastic skulls.
I’m guessing a hard-working and legitimate successful Hunter.

I think he’s describing antlers sawed off individually. Which would be peculiar. I’m a back packer myself and the only bone I carry is antler/skull but there always intact. Euro or cape

I think most back country hunters don’t want to carry out a bunch of bones. Usually there just after the meat and horns.
As far as the antlers being cut off just below the burr, that is the way you would do it if you were going to do a euro and use one of those plastic skulls.
I’m guessing a hard-working and legitimate successful Hunter.
he said above the burr

Anyone here ever try to saw an elk antler in half with a Wyo saw? Or does everyone else also carry a sawsall in their pack?

I found a nasty, stinky buck hit by a car once. Only had 1 antler on it. I cut the remaining antler off just below the burr. Had to put it in the bed of the truck it stunk so bad. My wife made me put my boots in the bed too.

Could be poaching. Could be legit. Could have been a lion kill or some other reason for death like finally succumbed to an injury or bullet/arrow that someone found and cut off the antlers.

he said above the burr
After rereading the original post I believe he said after the burr. I just assumed that meant below the burr as in instead of the entire scull plate. I can’t imagine why anyone poacher or legit would cut antlers off above the burr?

Sorry I actually did mean below the burr.

I appreciate all of the reply's. I have backpack hunted for over 20 years and have packed out 30+ of my own animals and helped many others. I had just never seen this before. I do like the thought of the stinky carcass and cutting them off to limit the smell. that makes sense to me as I've packed out a stinky dead head before.

Sorry I actually did mean below the burr.

I appreciate all of the reply's. I have backpack hunted for over 20 years and have packed out 30+ of my own animals and helped many others. I had just never seen this before. I do like the thought of the stinky carcass and cutting them off to limit the smell. that makes sense to me as I've packed out a stinky dead head before.
I know this is probably a dumb question and don't be insulted......but it was definately sawed off and not a freshly shed pedicle???......they are certainly clean and smooth right after shedding......

Good question. I would say sawed. It had grooves across the flat area consistent with marks made from a saw going back and forth. One of the nubs had a small part of the burr left similar to when you have sawed almost all the way through wood and break the last little bit off by hand.

sometimes there are just some odd ball people out there doing odd ball stuff......not sure how'd you'd ever come up with a logical story

Yes I have sawed them off with Wyoming saw before. A few times did not have saw and had to use a large rock to break up skull cap and cut hide around to retrieve the horn. Sometimes I wonder if it was worth it for the stinky horn. What some of us will do!!!! :)

I would agree that the antlers were most likely collected legally. No way to know for sure though. It could have been a hunter or someone that found a dead head that didn't want to pack the skull or saw off the skull plate.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom