point creep indeed!

Yeah, seemed pretty spotty. Hell 5 guys said they applied for 67 2nd season (myself being one) just on one of the threads on the site...who knows how many really did.

I hunted 68 - 3rd season last year and I thought it was a tough hunt.

I was disappointed that I burned 8 pts, I can’t imagine burning 12 pts on that unit...

I tried to stay away from main roads and hunt pockets of aspen away from people. I saw a lot of deer but nothing over 155”. Lots of does, fawns, and small bucks.

The few locals I talked to, said there isn’t much of a rut in that area.... I would have to concur, as I didn’t see any rutting activity.

I drew zero in Colorado. Zip. Many people having same problem. I drew zero last year too. Ugh.
Jerry Gold - Windsor, Colorado ?

I drew 77 3rd with 2 points. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Hope to have a fun hunt there. 4 guys going with tags.

To bad Colorado does not square our points for sheep, moose, and Mtn Goat. I am starting to think it’s not worth buying points anymore. I keep buying them Incase the system changer.
Bill

You are correct that Colo's sheep, moose, and mtn goat pts are worthless with the current system. A lot of guys are complaining! Why even have a point system if it virtually does nothing? The CPW is also loosing big pref pt $ because a lot of guys have given up buying pts and just apply for a unit. Maybe some year the CPW will wake up?

I was fortunate and drew a NR mountain goat tag a few years ago. As a high point holder, the only reason I continue to buy the moose and sheep points with the miniscule increase in odds is for the same reason LIK2HNT cited; potential change In the draw system.

The one thing I’ve learned over the years in other state’s draw systems is a single point can make a difference between drawing a tag and never having an opportunity at the same tag in your lifetime.

For now, I will continue to accumulate hoping for a change to the system In the near future. If I didn’t have over two decades invested into the system I would no longer buy the points.

As more NR‘s take advantage of the point opt out due to the cost vs point value and the preference point revenue decreases, IMO CPW will need to increase the NR preference point cost or change the system...

Horniac

This was also my second year passing on a point purchase. Got 3+15 and will sit on that going forward. The fee seemed a bad value. To up my odds I apply for archery when it works with my schedule.

I was fortunate and drew a NR mountain goat tag a few years ago. As a high point holder, the only reason I continue to buy the moose and sheep points with the miniscule increase in odds is for the same reason LIK2HNT cited; potential change In the draw system.

The one thing I’ve learned over the years in other state’s draw systems is a single point can make a difference between drawing a tag and never having an opportunity at the same tag in your lifetime.

For now, I will continue to accumulate hoping for a change to the system In the near future. If I didn’t have over two decades invested into the system I would no longer buy the points.

As more NR‘s take advantage of the point opt out due to the cost vs point value and the preference point revenue decreases, IMO CPW will need to increase the NR preference point cost or change the system...

Horniac
Boy do I know how bad it can be to pass on a year. Happened to me in CO when I had to return a tag due to injury and last year in WY when stupid me did not realize I had to buy a point come July. Now instead of having max deer I am in the next pool of 1400

Boy do I know how bad it can be to pass on a year. Happened to me in CO when I had to return a tag due to injury and last year in WY when stupid me did not realize I had to buy a point come July. Now instead of having max deer I am in the next pool of 1400
That’s sucks dropping out of max pool like that.

Yup, have a lot to keep up on. That’s what makes it interesting. I messed up one year in Colorado. Decided to apply for Desert Bighorn and I did not read the regs close enough to realize you do not get a point if you apply for Desert. Not that being one point behind matters much.
No silver bullet to cure what’s going to happen in the next 10 years.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom