polarized filter

ironhead

I have been having trouble taking pictures of fish. My problem is the fish are so bright I seem to get a reflection off the water or something. The belly of the fish just seems to wash out. Here is an example
44047d7e7f39c516.jpg

I have asked this question on a couple of fishing boards and they say to use a polarized filter. I am wondering if it's my camera not being set up correctly for the shot. By the way this pic was taken in a completely overcast sky.

Polarized filters are great for reducing the amount of glare....couldn't hurt. overcast skies are tough to shoot around water sources. Positioning of the fish has a lot to do with the amount of glare as well. Fish scales are naturally reflective and when the broadside of the fish is turned slightly upward towards the sky(towards the light source) they tend to wash the color with glare...

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but its worth a try...

a polarizer will help. However, under totally cloudy skies they really only saturate colors, a bit. They do very little to stop scattering light when it's cloudy. Polarizer?s work best when the light source is 90degress from the subject. the type polarizer you need will depend on your camera. If it's a modern digital slr auto focus you will need a circular polarizer. a polarizer also decreases your light by two stops, so keep that in mind.

go buy one. if you shoot around water a lot they are useful and very nice to have during the fall months.

You?re real problem is exposure, and like sneak said, the angle of the fish. your camera is trying to expose for your dark colors and therefore blew out your fish. you need to increase the shutter speed by about 2/3 stop to properly expose for the fish. the fishes belly is pure white so tip the fish's back over rather than its belly up this will reduce the amount of pure white in the photo. No matter what, you need to expose for the fish if you want it to "come out" in full detail. the person will be poorly lit, but that you can fix in photoshop.

Thanks Kelly and TFinalshot- I really appreciate the help this has been a real pain in the a$$. I thought it might have been shutter speed but just wasn't sure the filter should help also, I know my polarized glasses really cut the glare can't wait to try all the new info out thanks very much, Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom