Pole Creek Muzzy tag

tagsoup

Anyone have any thought about this new hunt? I have 6 nonresident points, not sure if that will be enough to draw this year. I looked at the maps and there looks like there is plenty of public land but does any of it hold elk? Anything anyone could tell me would be appreciated. Thanks

It should be a good hunt.........lots of elk, but not many quality bulls. Check out Potamus Creek on the southeast end of the unit, the best bulls in the unit are there or next to the private along the south boundary of the hunt unit.

I finally made up my mind today. I did put in for Pole Creek, don't know if I stand a chance with one point? It will be interesting to see how popular this one is.

DZ

Tag Soup,

If you draw the tag, post again and I'll send you a PM. I live and ranch in the area.

>Tag Soup,
>
>If you draw the tag, post
>again and I'll send you
>a PM. I live
>and ranch in the area.
>

I will let you know if I draw. Thanks.

A guy I know who is a non-resident put in for pole creek and he had 11 points.

Well I guess I don't need to worry about drawing this year then. Thanks for posting.

"Go hunt for meat at Wall Mart."

sorry tagsoup, im the lucky guy i hope this hunt is as good as i think it is. any feed back on this hunt would be appreciated.

>sorry tagsoup, im the lucky
>guy i hope this hunt
>is as good as i
>think it is. any feed
>back on this hunt would
>be appreciated.

How many points did you use?

"Go hunt for meat at Wall Mart."

It will be interesting to see the white bible next year and see how many points it took to draw. Show us some pictures of your bull. Hope you get a good one.

DZ

i burned 11pts, i may regret it but with the research i have been doing prior to the draw it should be a good hunt. and yes pics will come up if its worthy.. thanks j

>sorry tagsoup, im the lucky
>guy i hope this hunt
>is as good as i
>think it is. any feed
>back on this hunt would
>be appreciated.

One of the most over hunted units in the state. There will have been 4000 - 5000 hunters between archery and then deer rifle in there before you. I would shoot the first legal bull you see or be willing to eat the tag.

i knew that going in but im tired of not elk hunting, i will have a good hunt. you make the hunt the hunt don't make you. thanks for the input elkocd.

I know this is a "Trophy" site but some of us like to see em all and hear the stories.

11 points? that's insane for this hunt- why wouldn't you do An Ochoco rifle or Murders creek rifle hunt? I'm not up-to-date on Non-res points, but I would think you could have drawn either of those with 11?

but like you said- You make the hunt and can have a great time no matter the outcome. Good luck and that potamus creek area is where I'd start!

im all over it hangingmeat, i like a challenge and yes i could of drawn both tags mentioned easily. but someone has to be the ginnie-pig. tag im it. along with 21 residents, 300 and some residents put in for it the first year. and only 10 nonres. it will b fun. thanks for the input jason

Jason, You're going to have a great hunt, with all of the pressure from the deer hunters from the week before it will push the elk into the dark little nooks and crannies that most hunters won't get out of their trucks to hunt. The bulls will definitley be cranked up, the deer hunting pressure interupts the elk rut and they fire back up after the rifle close. Ryan

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-12 AT 07:22AM (MST)[p]With 11 points you could have drawn some really good tags. At least one of them I hunt and there is no comparison with it and Heppner. 300-340 bulls available with good rutting action in the other unit. Heppner has 5 points running cows :(

I hope you smoke a monster, but as someone that hunted heppner for 20+ years it's going to be tough. Just too many people in there all season(s). Good luck! Look in the fringes of the unit with tougher access, but there still will have been plenty of people in there as well.

4runner,

If you check the hunt area description in the game regs, it states "all public lands within the unit". This makes all of the isolated BLM tracts that are outside the boundaries of the Umatilla NF legal to hunt. There are some smoker bulls up the Northfork of the John Day on the isolated tracts of BLM. I have seen several bulls in the last few years that would bust 300 coming out of the private after deer season.

Good Luck ? PM me if you would like, I'm local to the area.

4 runner, I'll be there the same time you are,if you need help finding a decent bull make sure to get ahold of me before the hunt

im done 290 6by6. when pics get back i will try to post and tell story just got home family time for a while. thank you to all that helped. ill be back thanks jason

Hey jason
It's john, met you at shell station thurs before opener. Congrats on a great bull.
Stopped by your camp and saw rack in back of truck but you weren't around.
Good job

were either one of you guys the ones in the blue dodge truck with Washington plates?

We didn't end up taking an elk. Was a tough hunt, only active bugler we could find was living in pole thickets and couldn't get a shot off in that jungle.
That's hunting.

>tag soup you have my number
>if you draw i will
>hook you up..and thanks to
>all

Thanks. I will be putting in for it again next year.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

Greetings I was researching Pole Creek ML info and came across your post. I am new to Monster Muley as I was fortunate to draw this year the non resident tag with 18 points. I want to make the best of this opportunity. Any info on areas to research or scout prior to October? I truly appreciate any information.

I decided to bounce this old thread back to the top in hopes someone had some current info to share. I got too lucky this year, (if that's possible) with three tags to scout for so any positive information anyone could share would be much appreciated.

The Heppner unit has good elk numbers but don't expect to see many big bulls. it's an opportunity unit not a quality unit.

A couple friends had your tag last year and they saw a few branch bulls and took one spike. you'll be following an oh my god amount of archery hunters and rifle deer hunters so the elk will be spooky and in the heavier cover for the most part. they said they tried a cow call a couple times and the elk scattered like they'd been shot at.

Still a good hunt with plenty of bulls , fun country to hunt and very low hunter numbers will make it a blast I'm sure.

My wife has one of the 10 late deer tags in there at Thanksgiving so tie one up for her.

Will definitely keep my eyes open for big bucks. I have a friend with 21 or 22 buck points who was holding out for the Juniper muzzleloader tag, (I took a 210 3/8" buck there years ago) but now that the Juniper hunt is gone, he's looking for a decent chance at a great muley. I'll be very interested in what you see and how well your wife's hunt turns out.
I'm not really going to hold out for a big bull. At this point in time, I don't know if I can enlist any help and I'm 68 so won't be shooting any monster bulls in hellholes. My dream hunt would be a spike close to and slightly above the road. I didn't expect to draw the tag this year (3% chance) but when it rains, it pours and I ended up with buck, bull, and antelope tags. With the gas prices climbing like they are, it's going to be tough to do much scouting, especially with three different hunts to scout for. I've only got two months to find a rich widow, so I'd better get after it. ? Good luck to your wife, hope she finds a whopper.

_AAQ7449.jpg

I hunted the Ditch Creek hunt a few years ago which overlaps your hunt and one thing was for sure that year anyway, hunt the higher country. in the lower traditional deer country we were in there were no elk at all. up Alder Creek and Texas Butte is where I'd start.

Yes there's a lot of private land in the unit. but most of it surrounds where you'll be hunting it's not mixed in so that helps.

Very nice bull. Like most hunters, I'd like to get a big bull but at this point, it looks like I'll be going alone and at 68 I'm not getting too far from a road. I'll be happy with any bull. Still trying to find some good maps, my GPS is ancient so OnX Hunts isn't an option. Any areas you could suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Preparations have been minimal so far, took a spill and wrenched my back so haven't gotten much accomplished. Then my desktop died so I had to get my laptop organized, since I had only used it for photo editing. I've been studying OnX as much as possible to familiarize myself with the area.

Preparations have been minimal so far, took a spill and wrenched my back so haven't gotten much accomplished. Then my desktop died so I had to get my laptop organized, since I had only used it for photo editing. I've been studying OnX as much as possible to familiarize myself with the area.
How did your hunt go?

Back
Top Bottom