Pole smoker saving the bears!!!

elks96

Long Time Member
Watched the Governor of Colorado… He is throwing money at the issue but not a solution.

Everyone, especially hunters in Colorado should be pissed at the failed management of bears…

Until they reduce the number of bears into balance with the habitat, this will be an issue. When CPWS goal is 9,000 to 12,000 bears. And the state is somewhere around 30,000 the bears face starving to death in the wild or conflict with man to live.

It is a shame, allow hounds for bears, allow spring bear hunts, allow the fall hunt to start I. Mid August when the bears are in the open on berry patches.

But no we are going g to waste only on grants and actions that will only make the bears more desperate to find food…

I’m pretty sure the CPW is bound by the restrictions that were laid out in the referendum passed by the voters years back… No spring hunts, no bait, no hounds and the hunt couldn’t start before Sept. 2. Unless the voters overturn that, the state can only manage within those boundaries.

Someone please confirm or correct me, but that’s my understanding. Besides unlimited tags, I don’t think there’s much that can be changed.

I’m pretty sure the CPW is bound by the restrictions that were laid out in the referendum passed by the voters years back… No spring hunts, no bait, no hounds and the hunt couldn’t start before Sept. 2. Unless the voters overturn that, the state can only manage within those boundaries.

Someone please confirm or correct me, but that’s my understanding. Besides unlimited tags, I don’t think there’s much that can be changed.
Yeah you are correct I got it mixed up with another issue. I thought the legislature did it but it was voters. There is a path where we could pass the season to be earlier.

Sadly there needs to be a massive information campaign to get people to realize that today in Colorado we have more bears than what they likely had be fore white man settled the areas.

Sorry I was mixing up my issues…

CPW could fix the bear problemin a minute without any involvement from the guv.

In fact, they made it easier to kill bears down here a couple of years ago by putting more tags in pockets. IMO we have fewer bears now, but that might be a highly localized thing.

And I’m no more a biologist than polis.

CPW could fix the bear problemin a minute without any involvement from the guv.

In fact, they made it easier to kill bears down here a couple of years ago by putting more tags in pockets. IMO we have fewer bears now, but that might be a highly localized thing.

And I’m no more a biologist than polis.
They could issue unlimited tags, and it still wouldn’t fix it. There’s really only about 10 productive days to kill Bears in early Sept. before they get much harder to come by.

Know what else happens in early Sept? Elk, Deer, Grouse, Antelope, Moose, Sheep, Goat hunts and every other damn thing. There’s just not enough guys that will prioritize the Bear hunt, to really knock back the numbers like they need to.

If the CPW wants more revenue to control more bears rather than dealing with complaints that use up taxpayers $ they will allow spring bear hunts. Why not have hunters buy tags to harvest more bears in spring?

Not only will more bears be harvested but also bears will be spooked from being around humans that many more months in the spring. Just about every Western state has spring bear hunts but Colo! Makes a heck of a lot of sense to me!

If the CPW wants more revenue to control more bears rather than dealing with complaints that use up taxpayers $ they will allow spring bear hunts. Why not have hunters buy tags to harvest more bears in spring?

Not only will more bears be harvested but also bears will be spooked from being around humans that many more months in the spring. Just about every Western state has spring bear hunts but Colo! Makes a heck of a lot of sense to me!

El Gringo

Active Member​

Messages615

That’s why….. The general voting public in Colorado are well-meaning idiots when it comes to wildlife management

I wonder if there are enough fed up citizens that would vote to allow spring hunts. The CPW could have a campaign where they mention there is no feasible way to control the booming bear population that are causing damage breaking into vehicles, cabins, and homes.

I’m sure the CPW has numbers of human-bear conflicts and how much $ they have spent mitigating bear problems snd damage claims. I’m also sure the livestock industry would back spring hunts. That’s the time when they are calving and lambing. Spring hunts would benefit harvesting more bears and making them more skiddish for several additional months around humans.

It would take a well thought out plan that makes a lot of sense to the public, wildlife, hunters, livestock industry, etc.

I wonder if there are enough fed up citizens that would vote to allow spring hunts. The CPW could have a campaign where they mention there is no feasible way to control the booming bear population that are causing damage breaking into vehicles, cabins, and homes.

I’m sure the CPW has numbers of human-bear conflicts and how much $ they have spent mitigating bear problems snd damage claims. I’m also sure the livestock industry would back spring hunts. That’s the time when they are calving and lambing. Spring hunts would benefit harvesting more bears and making them more skiddish for several additional months around humans.

It would take a well thought out plan that makes a lot of sense to the public, wildlife, hunters, livestock industry, etc.
You must not have spent any time in Denver, Colofornia

Bear tag with every deer and elk tag sold.
If they had given me a bear tag with every tag I’ve hunted the last 10 years, and I killed every bear I saw during those hunts, I would have successfully killed zero bears! When we go on vacation in the spring and summer, we see lots of bears. Go back and hunt during 2nd, 3rd and 4th and I’ve literally seen 0.
If they had a spring bear hunt, I’d buy a tag and go

Yep, they’re very hard to come by after Mid September or so. The CPW is caught between a rock and their stupid voters….

The good news, is that it’s a good place to go Bear hunting the first week of September.

gawd....it is refreshing seeing you guys flounder around in the same BS us Californians have endured with zero sympathy.....

on the bright side.....it won't get better
Colofornia and Calirado are pretty much the same state when it comes to predator management.

You can bet a few bears would get shot in spring just like every other neighboring state. They aren’t spooked by all the archery/muzzy guys plus hunters would be seriously targeting them. You can be guaranteed that they also would be a lot shyer to humans!

My brother and I will have a bear tags In our pockets for Muzzy season. But of course, want to kill an elk first!

For those that have bears in their back yards and show no sign of fear of humans they are a problem.

More bears = fewer fawns is what I've always thought? There are obviously other factors but bears tend to be one of them in the West 1/2 of Colo.

What problem are you trying to solve. Fawn recruitment and fawn mortality they are very much a major issue…
Well it only took you to post 28 to say it’s the issue you want to address.

You’re worse than the anti hunters. Trying to tell us the bears are going to starve? So it’s in their best interest to be hunted?

There’s no way to sugar coat this, you’re clueless.

It is disappointing CO doesn’t have a spring season. But honestly there’s so many people people out in the spring baiting or hounds are a terrible idea.

Don’t worry, wolves will fix your problems!

More people = no deer
The study completed by CPW over the past 5 years showed contrary to this. Hence CPW hired someone to reduce bears and mountain lions in the Piceance Basin. The environment movement blamed people and Oil/Gas and were found wrong. Dead wrong. Of course the enviro groups fought this and did ultimately loose. Predation on fawn/calving grounds is the #1 cause of mortality.

The study completed by CPW over the past 5 years showed contrary to this. Hence CPW hired someone to reduce bears and mountain lions in the Piceance Basin. The environment movement blamed people and Oil/Gas and were found wrong. Dead wrong. Of course the enviro groups fought this and did ultimately loose. Predation on fawn/calving grounds is the #1 cause of mortality.
??????

On the properties where I work we are also finding quite a few lion killed calf elk. When you start adding up fawn/calf kills from all the predator species the numbers start to add up.

What's silly is lions can still be hunted with dogs in Colo but not bears.....I shouldn't say that too terribly loud because it may just be a matter of time? Having public vote on game management options and decisions is a stupid idea! Hopefully that doesn't happen in the future in Colo or any other states!

On the properties where I work we are also finding quite a few lion killed calf elk. When you start adding up fawn/calf kills from all the predator species the numbers start to add up.

What's silly is lions can still be hunted with dogs in Colo but not bears.....I shouldn't say that too terribly loud because it may just be a matter of time? Having public vote on game management options and decisions is a stupid idea! Hopefully that doesn't happen in the future in Colo or any other states!
The guys I know who hunt lions with dogs value lions over deer considerably.

And I don’t see a lot of sympathy for the rich folk who occupy trophy homes in the urban interface.

Like SS said, best learn to live with bears until the woofs get here.

My guess is that bears don't know the difference between poor and wealthy subdivisions? How about all the bears around Trinidad and other small town communities that are a far cry from "trophy homes?"

On a positive note, lion dogs likely spook cats in areas where they can be hunted. My guess is homeowners in those areas welcome their dogs! I'm sure they would welcome bear dogs as well!

If you don’t understand the point I was making, it’s not worth the effort to explain. Take comfort in your myopia.

Colorado; a state where you can chop off your Weiner and be a hero in a woman’s track meet or merely tuck it between your legs and use a woman’s bathroom because you were feeling a little confused that day. But you can’t kill a tick infested fawn/calf killer in the spring.

I'm curious if wolves have any effect on bear and lion numbers. My hunting buddy has video of 3 wolves in my hunting area this last weekend.

I’ve never seen what exactly the ballot initiative that was passed back in the 90s says but I wonder if there is some leeway for things like allowing electronic calls for bears? There’s bound to be some more out of the box ideas that would allow bears to be harvested. CPW still uses bait to trap trouble bears, maybe hunters could apply to be a “predator control” contractor and still be able to use bait and hounds?

Shall there be an amendment to the Colorado Revised Statutes to prohibit the taking of black bears by the use of bait or dogs at any time, and to prohibit the taking of black bears by any means between March 1 and September 1 of any calendar year, and subjecting violators to misdemeanor penalties and a loss of hunting privileges?[2]

Here is the language if anyone is interested, in what it actually says

I'm curious if wolves have any effect on bear and lion numbers. My hunting buddy has video of 3 wolves in my hunting area this last weekend.
Was it the north central/west part of the state where the pack is established? I’ve had friends see some more in the central part of the state, where they supposed don’t exist

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom