POLL: Archery Hunting or Nothing???

Archery Hunting Only? Or Nothing

• Total voters

Founder

Founder Since 1999
So let’s say the game and fish decided tomorrow that going forward, there’s only archery hunting available. No more muzzleloader or rifle.
Would you support that?
If you’re not already an archer, would you become an archer or quit hunting?

Whatcha’ think?

I’m new when it comes to archery but would not refer to myself as a bow hunter. I picked up archery to have another chance in my favorite unit. I wouldn’t be bummed if it went only archery but I don’t see that happening.

sorry Founder, no vote from me

I only bowhunt , its really my life. I would not supports this, I would not just through out all of our gun hunting brothers who enjoy using guns.

Nocwalker

How Bout We Change it To SmokePoles Only?

Ya!

I'm Prepared for a Little Whine!

If it Went To Archery Only!

Archery Equipment Would Be Just Like Ammo is Right Now!

You Really Want That?

sorry Founder, no vote from me

I only bowhunt , its really my life. I would not supports this, I would not just through out all of our gun hunting brothers who enjoy using guns.

Nocwalker
Just so you know, this is just a “what if”. Not some serious thing. It’s just a “what if”. It’s not a “would you support this” thing.

God question but highly hypothetical. Could you imagine the firearm and ammo manufacturers and what they'd say?

I do a lot of hunting with my camera and really like that. And I bowhunt too. And rifle and smokepole. I'm old enough I just don't see archery only on a wide scale as a plausible option in my lifetime.

But thanks for the question and for keeping the board active.

Need another option

"Would not support it, but would archery hunt if its all there was"

I mostly archery hunt, but i have a majority of my family that would just give it up all together if this was the case.

That said i would support a bigger shift of tag allocation from rifle to archery/muzzleloader hunts.

I have bow hunted various times throughout my life. I love it (Though, I think velvet antlers are ugly as sin)

I wouldn't support this. No way. Variety is the spice of life.

I'm not sure what good it would do anyway. With a presumed reduction in success rates, the DWR would increase tag numbers anyway, sacrificing the same number of bucks.
Also, I think you'd have to see 1st-4th season, but it would all be in Aug. LOL

I've only rifle hunted about three times in the last 30 years. Every other year has been archery. However I would only support this as a management tool to increase animal numbers. Once herds came back I'd want the rifle hunters to get there turn. I agree unnecessary though. No scopes, only traditional archery and we'd have a lot better hunting.

I wish this was multiple choice. Can you imagine all the deer running around with arrows hanging out?
I drew a CWMU tag last year. The deer there are genetically narrow and tall. I told him I'm hunting for something at least 24". He said there is deer that big running around, but he has an arrow in him. I didn't know I had to tell him I planned to eat the deer also.

Tough call. Some species are not meant to be hunted via stick and string at certain times of the year, if the objective of hunting is for management purposes.

So, in order to meet management objectives, you would see an influx of hunters/permits, or, when it makes the most sense to hunt them - smack during the middle of the rut for whatever species it is - to keep the high permit numbers down.

Yes, I would keep hunting with stick and string because that is way better than doing yard work all the time (like my backyard neighbor does). Maybe I would just get better at my bass game instead...

As I stated earlier in the trail camera ban thread - Decrease rifle tags and increase BOTH muzzy and archery tags. I would be highly in favor. It would help the terribly mismanaged deer herds in UT without the DWR crying about lost revenues (if they were to cut tags altogether).

Last edited:
uh....is this hypothetical situation the result of Wildlife managers trying to conserve game or because the rights to firearms has been changed??

I absolutely would not support this and I would kick up a fuss with the game and Fish, but I would bow hunt if that’s my only option

uh....is this hypothetical situation the result of Wildlife managers trying to conserve game or because the rights to firearms has been changed??
You pick! I was just curious how many rifle hunters would quit hunting altogether or if they’d take up archery.

It would be funny to see late season boom-stickers walking around in August wearing Sitka skinny jeans.
lol.....it would be funny seeing so many lousy bow shooters flinging arrows....

Can you just imagine the complaining??

lol.....it would be funny seeing so many lousy bow shooters flinging arrows....

Can you just imagine the complaining??
At least there are arrows with metric designations already out there. That will bring them flocking in.

Especially the 6.5 mm Acu-Carbon.

They would invent long range bows with ballistic rangefinders and put them on TV shows telling they kill elk at 250 yards with high shoulder shots.

Rambo used highly effective arrows back in the early-mid 80’s.

If we could use Rambo’s arrow selection, combined with drones, and sage brush smashing sidexsides, I’d take back my response in the poles to complain on the internet?

I would support it but would never plan on shooting a deer after the first 30 minutes of the season. Especially a big buck. Your chances of making a successful stalk with 1000 other hunters goes way down. Success rates would drop so maybe we could start hunting in May and go to January. Lots more opportunity. haha

POLL: Muzzy or Rifle Only : or Nothing - Like below
Start a new POLL. I personally would keep hunting regardless of the firearm. Rifle and muzzleloader would be easy to take up compared to archery that typically requires much more time investment for the success rate, that's why I posted the question. I was curious how many gun guys would convert to archery or just quit.
But I suppose the same could be asked of archery guys. If they could ONLY rifle or muzz, would they do that or quit?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom