POLL: Nasel Bones or No Nasel Bones??

Nasel bones or No?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

SanPitch

Just wondering what everyone thinks? Personally I think I’m liking it with the inner Nasel bones still intact, what do you think?

(Both European mounts shown below were done by myself)

E3CCC7CB-B05A-4B83-8113-EFF4ADCF75FC.png
3FA7BB92-C3A4-42B1-85BF-4459022B6832.png

Intact, when I see euros with them removed I assume the taxidermist that did it rushed the mount and probably didn’t do a very good job overall.

NASAL... Bones in is nicer, but sometimes they come out with vigorous scraping/pulling flesh/blasting with water, etc. I don't think it detracts much to lose them, but I do it myself and sometimes more time and care goes into the job. If I was paying someone else to do Euro for me I would specify or make agreement with them about expectectations.

If you’ve pulled the nasal bones you are aware of all the crud that’s inside of them that may cause problems with bugs infesting your mounted heads. I say go nasaless!

If the nasals or turbinates are gone then it wasn't done correctly. Just sayin'.
I would have to disagree on that one, it’s really just personal preference, some people think the extra bones sticking out looks trashy. I used to think that way but I’m on the fence now.

My guess is that not many guys even notice. I usually am looking at the horns and antlers and really don’t pay that much attention to the skull. The only thing I really tend to pay attention on the skull is if it is pure white, yellowish, or bone colored.

I would have to disagree on that one, it’s really just personal preference, some people think the extra bones sticking out looks trashy. I used to think that way but I’m on the fence now.
Interesting. I've never heard anyone say "looks trashy" yet. I guess you could do a quality euro and then knock the nasal bones out. Not sure why though. I've done hundreds and have never had a client ask me whether they wanted them intact or not. I do know that when the nasal bones are not present, its usually a sign that care wasn't taken rather than a customer requesting that they be removed.

Interesting. I've never heard anyone say "looks trashy" yet. I guess you could do a quality euro and then knock the nasal bones out. Not sure why though. I've done hundreds and have never had a client ask me whether they wanted them intact or not. I do know that when the nasal bones are not present, its usually a sign that care wasn't taken rather than a customer requesting that they be removed.
I see your point, but having the extra bones doesn’t mean it wasn’t done right, may I ask do you boil or beetle? I boil and usually knock them out unless requested otherwise, so I can make sure it it is completely clean so there isn’t any problems down the road. I’d honestly say it wasn’t done right if you leave them in and can’t get it cleaned all the way (which we both know you can’t unless you have beetles)

I see your point, but having the extra bones doesn’t mean it wasn’t done right, may I ask do you boil or beetle? I boil and usually knock them out unless requested otherwise, so I can make sure it it is completely clean so there isn’t any problems down the road. I’d honestly say it wasn’t done right if you leave them in and can’t get it cleaned all the way (which we both know you can’t unless you have beetles)
The absence nasals may not necessarily mean it wasn't done correctly, but it more than likely means whomever did it doesn't know how to remove all the flesh without damaging them. Beetles are one way, maceration is another. Whichever method, it takes time. Lately there seems to be a lot of folks on the scene using the peroxide boil or pressure washing method. You can thank you Youtube for that I guess. Those quick methods work but it's also very hard on the intricate bones and it doesn't take much to damage them. There are many ways to do a euro. I can knock one out in a day but I prefer to produce a high quality product which IMO takes a minimum of three weeks. Sometimes months, depending on the de-greasing process used.

There are some really classy looking ways to display euros! If you are like me you have several piles of them stacked pretty high with less a less room in your man cave or trophy room to show many of them off. Here's a link to the skull hooker website with some mounting options. https://www.skullhooker.com/gallery/trophy-gallery/

In their gallery you can't even tell if many of the skulls have the nasal saved or removed.

I don't see how you leave it in without beetles. Please tell.
It’s a long tedious process, I usually just slowly pick and pull and then do my best to spray out the rest with a pressure washer without damaging anything. Can’t say I get it all out because you probably can’t but I can get it good enough too where you can’t see any meat

You would be amazed at the tiny places that bugs infest! To me it’s not worth risking having bugs infest my other mounts by leaving the nasal cavity in a bunch of euros.

If I lived in the south and other areas with a lot of bugs I would be concerned. It’s possible to soak euros in borax but bugs seem to still show up even when the nasal areas are removed.

You would be amazed at the tiny places that bugs infest! To me it’s not worth risking having bugs infest my other mounts by leaving the nasal cavity in a bunch of euros.

If I lived in the south and other areas with a lot of bugs I would be concerned. It’s possible to soak euros in borax but bugs seem to still show up even when the nasal areas are removed.
I completely agree! I very rarely leave them in knowing the risk

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom