Poll: should drones be legal for shed hunting?

Should drones be legal for shed hunting?

• Yes

Votes: 29 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 141 82.9%

• Total voters
Hell no! All I find is boot tracks May 1 when shed season starts here in CO. Nonhunters are always posting the sheds they find (before May 1) on Facebook. They don't even know there is a closure. They have nothing to lose anyway. There is no penalty or enforcement unless you are a hunter. Glad I found so many years ago. I tried to steer clear of the wintering herds but I support closure to protect herds. Wish everyone understood the closure reasons and followed rules.

I personally like to hike around the hills to antler hunt, but I tend to do a lot of glassing for antlers. So, how much different is the sitting and glassing for antlers than sitting and looking through a camera on a drone???

I’ve never toyed with a drone, so I don’t know how much you can really see through a camera mounted on one, but I’m thinking it’s not a lot. Nor do I know the flying range of a drone. I guess if a person still needed to hike around in order to fly one, which they likely would in order to pick up the antlers, then it may not be much different than hiking around and glassing.

Tough one on this question I think. I’d need to know just how much easier it is using a drone versus binocular.

I’ve been told that spotting antlers from a chute plane is much easier, but I don’t think cameras mounted on a drone work as smooth as the human head and eyes scanning the landscape.

So after all that........I don’t know.

Like I said months ago!

wait till the 1 man drones come out and people are hovering all over the hills harassing wildlife!

During shed season,

During hunting season,

During off season!

Try to Regulate that battle when ignorant people are hovering all over the hills for any reason they can!

How would it be to fly into a remote, nasty hunting spot, hunt on fresh legs for the day, fly out and still be home in time for dinner?!

It’s coming!

Hopefully DWR has a plan in place now to keep things primitive in the hills!

Of course they should be legal. While most don’t like the idea of it, that’s not why we should create rules and regs. If the reason to ban them is because they harass wildlife, well we already have those laws. No reason to ban things because most people don’t like the idea of it. If that was the case, what wouldn’t be banned?

So you’re okay hiking into a hell hole to hopefully kill a monster buck you spotted only to have a drone fly in and ruin your opportunity by blowing everything out of the canyon that’ll take a couple hours to hike back out of?

I see a guy using a drone, I won’t think twice about dealing with it. Let’s see if Mr. Idaho Fish Game pipes up about how great they are. Your name will always be Little Bull if they allow drones.

So you’re okay hiking into a hell hole to hopefully kill a monster buck you spotted only to have a drone fly in and ruin your opportunity by blowing everything out of the canyon that’ll take a couple hours to hike back out of?
No I wouldn’t like it, but that’s not the point. I wouldn’t like the same situation with someone shooting from 1000 yards killing a buck I was about to shoot at 300. But I don’t think long range guns should be banned. (A lot of people do) I just don’t think we need more unenforceable laws. HARASSING WILDLIFE IS ALREADY ILLEGAL!!

Nope. Spring turkey hunting via drone "looking for sheds" shouldn't be legal.

But I go further. I fully support an April 1 shed opener.

Ive heard all the excuses, and they are just that. We can leave the deer/elk alone fir a month, tgey wont miss us

LittleBull,
I understand your point that harassing wildlife is already illegal.

I understand that harassing wildlife laws seem unenforceable.

So do we gladly bow down to the rich and entitled ignorant generation currently among us and let them fly their drones, twist their turrets and lob lead over our shoulders, rip their sidexsides through closed ground and over sage, etc. because they can afford the fine if they get caught?

Or do we push for a more equal playing field for all?

All....meaning sportsman and the game we respect and manage appropriately.

It is a losing battle to step back and let technology assist the opportunist in his/her quest to “obtain the prize” with as little effort as possible.

The easier we make it/allow it to become, the less opportunity there will be to harvest quality for everyone who enters the field in the future.....the very near future.

I saw something in passing that mentioned new FAA regulations for all drones. I want to say they all had to have some kind of identifier signal. I should have read it closer.

I don’t think drones should be used, but I don’t really want a microchip in my gun either. We are being squeezed.

I'm not much of a shed hunter. I pick them up when I find them during hunting season or scouting. My only concern about regulations and new laws is where does it stop. Soon dogs will be illegal to use while shed hunting. You'll only be allowed to pick up 2 antlers or two pounds of antlers. I'm sure the list goes on and on. Personally, I have no skin in the game of shed hunting, but yes BLoodDTRaCKeR, I'd be pissed if someone flew a drone into a spot that I was hunting.

I think using a Drone for deer sheds would still be difficult to see them, but white ones will stick out.

Elk sheds are a different story though. You could easily see elk sheds from a drone with a good camera, which they all pretty much have these days.

That wouldn't be my cup of tea. I love hiking about looking for sheds. No guarantees.

Nope. Spring turkey hunting via drone "looking for sheds" shouldn't be legal.

But I go further. I fully support an April 1 shed opener.

Ive heard all the excuses, and they are just that. We can leave the deer/elk alone fir a month, tgey wont miss us
ok that makes total sense, no shed hunting till april 1. But you can hike, bike, atv, and every other form of recreation. FFS. So stupid.

If I am in the wild looking for sheds.......and a drone shows up......Are they in season ? Does one require a tag to take one?
Or do I just consider it predator control? What is the limit?

I can see the guy flying a drone during the fall season saying “ I am only looking for sheds”. The problem with laws that aren’t specific is that some a-hole will always find a loophole to do what they know dam well the spirit of the law was against.

LittleBull,
I understand your point that harassing wildlife is already illegal.

I understand that harassing wildlife laws seem unenforceable.

So do we gladly bow down to the rich and entitled ignorant generation currently among us and let them fly their drones, twist their turrets and lob lead over our shoulders, rip their sidexsides through closed ground and over sage, etc. because they can afford the fine if they get caught?

Or do we push for a more equal playing field for all?

All....meaning sportsman and the game we respect and manage appropriately.

It is a losing battle to step back and let technology assist the opportunist in his/her quest to “obtain the prize” with as little effort as possible.

The easier we make it/allow it to become, the less opportunity there will be to harvest quality for everyone who enters the field in the future.....the very near future.
So this is your line? Drones for shed hunting? Long range guns, binoculars, range finders, trail cams, 4 wheelers, side by sides, spotting scopes, expensive boots, any high end gear........ not everyone can afford everything! Is your push for socialized hunting? Should drones be illegal because everyone can’t afford one? Should they be illegal because it will harass wildlife? Should they be illegal because only lazy pieces of sh!t would use them. (Whom by the way would still have to hike their big lazy a@@ over to pick up said shed). Should they be illegal because it’s just too much technology? These are mostly serious questions? I’m really curious. Why a usually “keep your government out of my business and away from my guns” hunting community, is so eager to make sure that no one is using a technology that they don’t personally like. There will always be people using technology you don’t like. Just remember, one day it will be something you use. If your problem is with the rich, entitled, turret twisting, drone flying, trail cam using ignorant generation... remember, you are exactly that to the generations before.

Those are all fair points, and I’m struggling for answers to a few. But something about drones crosses a line for me. Maybe I’m just sick of all this new age bu!!sh!t and saying enough is enough.

I say ban them before they become another entitlement.

So this is your line? Drones for shed hunting? Long range guns, binoculars, range finders, trail cams, 4 wheelers, side by sides, spotting scopes, expensive boots, any high end gear........ not everyone can afford everything! Is your push for socialized hunting? Should drones be illegal because everyone can’t afford one? Should they be illegal because it will harass wildlife? Should they be illegal because only lazy pieces of sh!t would use them. (Whom by the way would still have to hike their big lazy a@@ over to pick up said shed). Should they be illegal because it’s just too much technology? These are mostly serious questions? I’m really curious. Why a usually “keep your government out of my business and away from my guns” hunting community, is so eager to make sure that no one is using a technology that they don’t personally like. There will always be people using technology you don’t like. Just remember, one day it will be something you use. If your problem is with the rich, entitled, turret twisting, drone flying, trail cam using ignorant generation... remember, you are exactly that to the generations before.
There is a whole truckload of busy bodies on the internet that know exactly what you should be doing.

Have you seen a drone around wildlife, or heard a drone and the noise it makes. This is commom sense you really think the wildlife deserves this. I’d rather see hunting banned and I live to hunt, then see all the crap a guy has to drag into the woods to be successful these days. I sure am glad I learned to hunt. Why don’t you go to the photography thread on drone footage and see how well it went for the Jack Ass that posted it

Have you seen a drone around wildlife, or heard a drone and the noise it makes. This is commom sense you really think the wildlife deserves this.
Yes I have seen all that and it's no different than a guy and his dog stomping around looking for sheds.

Now we base our decisions on what wildlife "deserves". I thought the use of the word "fair" has been a disaster for society, but now I have to consider what animals deserve.?

A man who knows all he ever deserved was death isn't going to care a bit about what someone thinks an animal "deserves".

Have you seen a drone around wildlife, or heard a drone and the noise it makes. This is commom sense you really think the wildlife deserves this. I’d rather see hunting banned and I live to hunt, then see all the crap a guy has to drag into the woods to be successful these days. I sure am glad I learned to hunt. Why don’t you go to the photography thread on drone footage and see how well it went for the Jack Ass that posted it
Guys keep trying to equity using drones to look for antlers is harassing wildlife and at times it might be but.
It is already a law you can not harass wildlife!
It is illegal to drive your ATV/UTV off road to look for antlers but people still do it.
So I suppose we should make it illegal to drive ATV/UTV in the hills, because they might drive off road.
I have an idea if you see someone use a drone to harassed wildlife get some information and then TURN THEM IN.
Pepole that use drones are lazy.
What is different using a dog and a drone they bolth allow you to cover more acreage without you personally hiking that acreage. Atleast the guy using a drone he will need to hike to the antler that the drone finds. If you come upon deer/elk and you do not approach them usually the deer/elk will move away from you but not be spooked to the point of running to the next canyon but if you have a dog them same deer/elk will naturally be more spooked from a dog than a person and run a fare amount of distance. There is also a large percentage of dogs if not controlled will chase the deer/elk.
I don't have a problem with dogs helping look for shed antlers just the same I have no problem with pepole using drones as long as they are used respectfully, ethically and lawfully.

Guys keep trying to equity using drones to look for antlers is harassing wildlife and at times it might be but.
It is already a law you can not harass wildlife!
It is illegal to drive your ATV/UTV off road to look for antlers but people still do it.
So I suppose we should make it illegal to drive ATV/UTV in the hills, because they might drive off road.
I have an idea if you see someone use a drone to harassed wildlife get some information and then TURN THEM IN.
Pepole that use drones are lazy.
What is different using a dog and a drone they bolth allow you to cover more acreage without you personally hiking that acreage. Atleast the guy using a drone he will need to hike to the antler that the drone finds. If you come upon deer/elk and you do not approach them usually the deer/elk will move away from you but not be spooked to the point of running to the next canyon but if you have a dog them same deer/elk will naturally be more spooked from a dog than a person and run a fare amount of distance. There is also a large percentage of dogs if not controlled will chase the deer/elk.
I don't have a problem with dogs helping look for shed antlers just the same I have no problem with pepole using drones as long as they are used respectfully, ethically and lawfully.
I do have to agree, if me and my dog are walking out across a sagebrush flat, we’re going to spook the deer no different than a little buzzing drone.
And you do have a point with using a trained shed hunting dog to get antlers. Combine that with high power optics, and I’m not so sure the drone flyer really has an unfair advantage.
I understand sportsman resisting new methods and technology that threatens their future successes, but there’s a lot of the same sportsman who are resisting some methods and technology while buying up and supporting other methods and technology that increases their advantages over other people and game.
I’m sure it’ll be an ongoing struggle as sportsman battle over who is doing it “the right way”.
I don’t really want to see drones buzzing around ahead and above me, but I’m not sure that a law is needed right now.
Is it even a thing yet? Antler hunting with a drone?

Last edited:
You're going to have to be pretty dang talented to find sheds with a drone. I have a pretty nice drone and 1 your going to have to fly so low to see the shed that you'll probably end up hitting brush cause youre either looking at the ground or infront of you, you cant do both.. 2 even a I pad or a tablet isn't very big so again seeing a shed in a 4 ft area (what your camera is going to see because you're so low. Unless you have a 55" floating around in your truck which who doesn't?) isn't very good odds either. I can guarantee I can find way more sheds with my binoculars than I ever would with a drone. So ban it sure don't ban it sure.

LittleBull,
Apparently I struck a nerve with you. Please don’t misinterpret what I said just so you can expel your pinned up emotions that you’ve been hiding from your loved ones. It’s okay to cry every once in a while. Heck, you can use my shoulder to cry on if needs be.

Take a minute, breathe, sip on a cold snack or two, and just relax. Everything is going to be alright.

There’s already a lot of regulations. I agree. “HARASSING WILDLIFE IS ALREADY ILLEGAL!!!” I agree.

The laws need to be there not for those that accept them, but for those that do not (I feel like I’m teaching a kindergarten class right now).
So that we have a disciplinary action to use/fall back on when technology is used inappropriately or abused according to what the law states.

Example:
If we do not regulate technology, you and your buddies may be tempted to do that which is offensive to law abiding sportsman and introduce a culture that hurts, more than helps the survivability of our wildlife that sportsman have committed to help through funding and wildlife management projects.

With laws and regulations in place to combat this behavior, we now have a disciplinary path to follow to help our fellow ignorant sportsman correct and stay the course of wildlife preservation.

Kindergarten class is over. I hope you will take a moment and write in your journal about what you learned today. And remember, It’s okay to tell mom you didn’t learn anything today because of your pride.

I shed hunt. Its a good excuse to burn boot leather in the spring and stay in shape. But shed hunting with a drone? Come on. Thats pretty gay.
I'm just playin'. As long as guys are staying off winter range and not harassing the herds, I've got no issues with shed hunting ??

Founder what about your Outfitter friend using drones up in region G, it did not go over well with a lot of people. Shed hunting, scouting, droning the day before the season starts. When does it start and stop, most of you want to get rid of trail cameras and apple piles, I do to. I don’t mind people with dogs shed hunting as long as their not driving game in three feet of snow. I like hound dogs and good hound dogs chase cats and bears. Man has always used dogs and horses. I’d rather see Wolves scattered all over the west than drones buzzing all over. Than there are the guys who are going to tell us they are FFA certified and watching me and my family not really looking for that shed.

Founder what about your Outfitter friend using drones up in region G, it did not go over well with a lot of people. Shed hunting, scouting, droning the day before the season starts. When does it start and stop, most of you want to get rid of trail cameras and apple piles, I do to. I don’t mind people with dogs shed hunting as long as their not driving game in three feet of snow. I like hound dogs and good hound dogs chase cats and bears. Man has always used dogs and horses. I’d rather see Wolves scattered all over the west than drones buzzing all over. Than there are the guys who are going to tell us they are FFA certified and watching me and my family not really looking for that shed.
He must not be much of a friend cause I have no clue who you’re talking about. ??? Who’s my friend that I’m not aware of?

Bloodtracker, You’ve struck no nerve with me. I made a comment, you asked a question. I responded to your question. You asked some questions. I answered some of those questions the best I could with a few follow up questions of my own. This is called conversation. Only you failed to answer any of my questions. You tried to be rude and condescending, which is usually a good indication that you have no good answers to proposed question. I actually like discussing things with people with whom I disagree. You just so happened to be the one to pose the first question. Again I’ll ask...Should drones be illegal because everyone can’t afford one? Should they be illegal because it will harass wildlife? Should they be illegal because only lazy pieces of sh!t would use them. (Whom by the way would still have to hike their big lazy a@@ over to pick up said shed). Should they be illegal because it’s just too much technology? Serious question. Then say there was a law banning them. Do you ban them all together. Do you ban them for shed hunting only? If people want them to be banned, it needs to be enforceable or it’s pointless. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want. But It would be nice to hear someone articulate, why and how. If you can’t answer both it’s pointless. And just for the record, I don’t have a drone. Nor would I use one for shed hunting. Just tired of everyone wanting every aspect of life regulated to death. ?‍♂️✌️

When the intelligence isn’t there, you treat it as such.
I hope you learn to appreciate the city life when it lands in your favorite hunting spot.

They’re *

You're going to have to be pretty dang talented to find sheds with a drone. I have a pretty nice drone and 1 your going to have to fly so low to see the shed that you'll probably end up hitting brush cause youre either looking at the ground or infront of you, you cant do both.. 2 even a I pad or a tablet isn't very big so again seeing a shed in a 4 ft area (what your camera is going to see because you're so low. Unless you have a 55" floating around in your truck which who doesn't?) isn't very good odds either. I can guarantee I can find way more sheds with my binoculars than I ever would with a drone. So ban it sure don't ban it sure.
An*

She'd hunting just around the corner? Here in tardville they have been at it since the first week of January.
I know, I love this time of year. The rush is on to see who can get that first brown posted up.

But somethings wrong with my deer. They don’t shed until April? :(

A few years ago I was bow hunting for pronghorn in WY. I had this guy circling the area I was hunting in a gas powered solo glider of some sort. It seriously pissed me off!!! It was sort of cool to watch, but not after taking vacation time, traveling 13 hours & the money spent to get there.

Using a drone to shed hunt is pure laziness and takes away from experiencing the outdoors for what they are. I remember hiking with my Dad when I was in middle school and finding more sheds then we could carry! The best part was that we weren't even looking for them, we just happened upon that spot. Fast forward 30+ years and I take my boys back to the same spot and we found nothing :ROFLMAO: but the memories will never be forgotten.

Why should we allow low flying noisy drones spook wildlife while looking for sheds. A lot of shed hunting is done when our deer and elk have new born on the ground and they do not need to be harassed by low flying drones.
RELH
So do you think your presence isn't harassing the wildlife. I actually think a drone is much less invasive than folks walking around. I don't/won't use a drone, but I think your argument is weak.

Why should we allow low flying noisy drones spook wildlife while looking for sheds. A lot of shed hunting is done when our deer and elk have new born on the ground and they do not need to be harassed by low flying drones.
RELH
I wouldn't use a drone, but I think your argument is actually quit wrong. Drones are much less invasive than a person walking around.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom