POLL: What’s your preferred hunting method for bucks?

What’s your favorite method of buck hunting?

• Total voters

Founder

Founder Since 1999
When it comes to hunting mule deer bucks, what’s your favorite method? Are you a long range rifle hunter, muzzy, traditional archer or just content with helping others?

Share in the poll and expand below on why? Is your choice just more fun, or a greater challenge?

My favorite is just a regular old rifle deer hunt. I’ve shot em with a bow, a rifle at 495, and never with a muzzle loader. But nothing beats a regular rifle hunt for me.

Learning behaviors with archery gear, putting yourself in a spot to be successful with the ol stick flipper...

If that don’t work... which is a crap shoot. Gained knowledge for the rifle hunt and try to smoke him.

I think modern open sight muzzy is my favorite season. Deer are usually out more than in rifle seasons and you get to stalk them like in an archery hunt but you have a bit more range than a bow

I voted something else. I am prepared to shoot out past 400, but will try to get closer whenever possible and will pass long shots that I am not comfortable with for a variety of reasons.

I like them all. The hard part anymore doesn’t seem like it’s the hunt, I have taken some good bucks with all weapon types, the hard part is drawing a tag to hunt. With mule deer declining in all western states drawing a tag is the biggest challenge these days.

Generally always have a LR capable rifle on me, but I've taken far more bucks under 200 yards than beyond 300.

I like to put out bait and then back off to 500+ yards for the challenge with a rifle.:)

eelgrass you wouldn’t be stirring the ol’ pot of bad apples would you? LMAO... that was some funny azz shat right there!!! ???

I enjoy all hunting methods myself. I think I prefer rifle overall.
Muzzleloader s are fun...
It’s hard to beat the rush that I get from archery hunting. I just don’t get that same adrenaline rush from hunting with a rifle or muzzleloader.

Go at night with a spotlight... Bro.... They just stand right there.... Actually had some northern NM "Bro's" tell me this. That's how they get the mature Bucks in Dec. and Jan. and the sad part is they teach their kids this.

I was so bummed out when we lost the Utah Nov. muzzy hunt in the early 90s but I have really learned to like the current late
Sept. muzzy hunt. Being a lefty shooter, I really like using a 3x9 power scope to offset my bad left eye.

For a general season Buck Tag in Utah My favorite method will be partnering up with ridgetops next year and doing whatever he suggests.

Deep,
I agree also question Butts successful techniques since he commented.
Too much info out there.
Spot light?
Rifle during archery season?
Pictures and statements don't even come close to adding up.
Well just leave it at that. Unless he cares to expound.

My second choice is to buy an auction tag, hire a guide, and sit in my motel room until he calls me. Any weapon.

Last edited:
Number 11 primers for me as stated above archery hunts are very exciting but I like the extra distance black powder gives me.

Thanks for the concern deep and 50, but I’m still hunting and had a great fall with my dad in 2019 and will have another in 2020 god willing.

Hope your opinion’s of me change one day.. if they don’t I DO NOT GIVE A FLYING ****.

Thanks for the concern deep and 50, but I’m still hunting and had a great fall with my dad in 2019 and will have another in 2020 god willing.

Hope your opinion’s of me change one day.. if they don’t I DO NOT GIVE A FLYING ****.
I must be missing a post on this topic...

I see the most bucks during the archery, but they always run away when I get close.
Muzzy is my favorite time to be in the mountains.
I've had the most success with a rifle in Oct. and Nov.
I enjoy all 3.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom