POLL: What binoculars are you using?

What power and diameter binocular optics are you all primarily using?

• Total voters

Founder

Founder Since 1999
I just got an email from Vortex about their NEW Diamondback HD 15x56 optics. Thought I'd do a poll asking, "what power and diameter binocular optics are you all primarily using?"

10x42, 10x50, 15x56, ....... share in the poll above, expand below.

Also, just curious, how many of you use a 15x56 binocular? And do you all use them with a tripod?

1591301005405.png

I currently use the 10 x 42 Swarovski, however I seem to find more deer with my spotting scope set at 20 power.....I have wondered if I should move to the 15 power or 18 power and use a tripod?

I like to use my 10x42 Geovid, and go to the spotter to get a closer look at what I find. I have 12x geovid and 15 Zeiss too but more comfortable using the 10"s

I use 10 x 42 Lieca Govids. Love them and have never had a problem. It fun to play guess the distance! Since I am the only one in our group always looking through a range finder ! I have tried 12’s but without leaning on tree while hiking I can’t keep them still. 10’s are a great all around power.

I switched to Maven 15x56's on a tripod last season from my vortex spotter. Wish I would have done it years ago. Still carry 10x42's for non tripod glassing.

I have 8.5 x 42 ELs, but like Stilltrying, tend to find more deer with my spotting scope; an ED50 with wide angle 16x and 27x eye pieces.

10 vortex fury range on chest.
Saworo 15's on tripod all day long.
Break out the Saworo 95 for final decision....and yes I take the 95 sheep hunting...

I use Nikon Monarch 10X42s for most of my glassing.

I'm lucky enough to have some buddies with Swaro 15X56s for more in depth glassing. If I can save up the money, those are what I would get in the future. Already have decent spotter but the 15s seem to fit a great niche when you really want to pick apart areas that aren't far away enough to warrant the spotter.

10x42 Geovids. I would like to find another Leopold Gold Ring Compact spotter as 15-20 power is all want. The Geovids will be my last binos.

I've used only 10x42s along with a spotting scope for years now but I picked up a pair of 15x56 with a tripod adapter a couple months ago. I'm excited to try out the 15s this summer for long distance glassing.

Ridge you are going to luv them. I got 10x42 on my neck 15x56 on tripod and a Swaro 80 on tripod . I carry a lot of glass but take a lot less steps up the hill. LOL

10x42 vortex vipers. About as much as my cheap a$$ is willing to spend for binos lol. In reality I looked at everything and I know the upper end binos are better I couldn't justify the price difference when there wasn't all that much difference looking through them. If I was guiding and on glass all day for weeks on end then I would have upgraded.

I'm in the same crowd as several others, 10x42 Leica Geovids around my neck and Swarovski 15x56s on the tripod.

I currently use the 10 x 42 Swarovski, however I seem to find more deer with my spotting scope set at 20 power.....I have wondered if I should move to the 15 power or 18 power and use a tripod?
10x are plenty good put them on a tripod and they are excellent. A tripod is all the difference

It seems a lot of you are using 10 x 42 on the neck and 15 x 56 on the tripod, but it seemed most are using something other than Swaro on the neck and most using Swaro on the tri pod. Any reason? Cost only?

If money wasn't necessarily the main concern, what would you guys run, both on the neck, on the tripod and spotter. Size and Brand.

Last question. Considering the EL 10 x 42, but does anyone have the EL Range 10 x 42?? Worth the 700 bucks? Any other issues comparing the 2?

Thanks in advance.

It seems a lot of you are using 10 x 42 on the neck and 15 x 56 on the tripod, but it seemed most are using something other than Swaro on the neck and most using Swaro on the tri pod. Any reason? Cost only?

If money wasn't necessarily the main concern, what would you guys run, both on the neck, on the tripod and spotter. Size and Brand.

Last question. Considering the EL 10 x 42, but does anyone have the EL Range 10 x 42?? Worth the 700 bucks? Any other issues comparing the 2?

Thanks in advance.
I bought the Vortex Razors 10x42 and 65mm spotter due to the price. I got my spotter and bino's new from a guy that bought them on impulse. I was planning on getting Leica or Zeiss but the Vortex deal was too good to pass up.

The eye strain - eye fatigue of long time use with the 15s is less with high-quality glass like Swaro. Shorter distance and use with 10s. Get a hunting buddy with an ego that has to have the best and can out hike everyone to bring the spotter.
Then work on getting him to shoot first and you got him to glass and pack for you for free.

I use multiple different binoculars. I keep 10X Swarovski strapped to my chest most of the time. On a tripod I'll use 15X56 or the BTX adapter. Sometimes I'll pick apart a distant hillside with just the spotting scope but looking through a spotting scope for extended periods of time isn't as comfortable. All of them have their place. On occasion, I'll be packing all of them but they do make for a heavy pack.

I won't waste my money on Vortex, especially the Diamondbacks. There are much better options than Vortex at every price point.

Like Tommy Boy said: "Why do they put a guarantee on the box?" "because they know all they sold you was a guaranteed piece of ****." "Hey if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed I will. I got spare time". "Put that little box under your pillow and the guarantee fairy might come by and leave a quarter." The point is how do you know the little fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer?" :LOL:

10x42 Swaro SLC binos and a Swaro spotter. We also have an older Leupold spotter that gets some use as well.

10x42 Leica's, 15x56 Meopta's and a vortex spotter. The Leica's are the best binoculars I've ever used. I can look through them all day with zero eye fatigue.

Well it looks like the 10 x 42's take it. Not surprised there ! But a little that so many are using Leica Govids!

My Leica's are the 10x42 ultravid HD model. I've never looked through geovids. Are they a step up from the Ultravid?
The Geovids are the ones with the range finders in them. I think they are the first quality glass to come out with a range finder.

I use a radically different setup than most folks. I always have my Leica 10x50's and my Panasonic GH5 with 100-400mm lens. I can film epic images from 1000 yards or more and then punch in on the screen to 20x to see the vains in their ears. There's no spotting scope or bino set up that even comes close for really seeing what you have in front of you.

I have a couple images attached that show the 4K screen capture from 1150 yards vs the zoom in on the screen from my cell phone of only 6x. The new panasonic camera's and lenses are completely epic for doing it all these days. My total setup including tripod is only 7 lbs !!!

Here's a video from scouting wyoming last year with all the elk at 350 to 2500 yards with this setup. The first couple bulls are at aboutr 2250 yards out. These are some of the bulls I drew to hunt this year !!!

Cheers,
Pete

P1199404.MP4_snapshot_00.32_[2020.06.17_12.03.34].jpg

V__0C81.JPG

WP_20191215_07_40_18_Pro__highres.jpg

P1199404.MP4_snapshot_00.32_[2020.06.17_12.03.34].jpg

The Geovids are the ones with the range finders in them. I think they are the first quality glass to come out with a range finder.

John I would bet a good portion of us got these Geovids in the late 2000’s . It’s hard to justify change with the glass and range capability.
Great combo.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom