POLL: What's the ideal number of tags for non-residents?

What's the ideal number of tags for non-residents?

• I only hunt my home state and 25% is appropriate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only hunt my home state and 40% is appropriate

• I only hunt my home state and 50% is appropriate

• I hunt multiple states and 0% is appropriate

• Total voters

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Hunting tag allocation has been a bit of debate lately in the Wyoming Forum, with some saying 10% is correct, others believing 25% or 35% is more appropriate. A few radicals call for 0 tags for non-residents.

So the question in this poll is, what in your opinion is the ideal percentage that a state should allocated for non-resident sportsmen?
Take the poll above and then expand on your thoughts below.

I feel about 25% is about right for non residents. I have hunted out of my state for many years, but feel that residents in that state should get the vast majority of the tags. Also those non resident tags should go for a higher price then what a resident pays for his tags to help support conservation in that state. Just keep the price reasonable.
RELH

I think 15% is a fair number with revolving truncation or rounding so a rolling average keeps its within a point or so.

I would imagine, the % rate would need to calculate in the resource, and the State's resident hunter numbers. When talking to most people about Deer in Utah, its suprising, how few folks know how small the actual amount of the State is Deer Habitat, and huntable. But the Hunter population is huge. Id say 10% in Utah is about right, how does Wyoming compare for number of resident hunters, and huntible Deer habitat, Founder

It's time Utah sticks it to the non-resident. Wyoming and Idaho want to jack up the price more and more. And are always screaming to decrease non res tags. And I get it it's their state. But Utah needs to follow suit. Some tags need to decrease for deer. Antlerless hunts need to really decrease.

Last edited:
It's time Utah sticks it to the non-resident. Wyoming and Idaho want to jack up the price more and more. And are always screaming to decrease non res tags. And I get it it's their state. But Utah needs to follow suit.

As long as it's a smaller portion allocated to NR's, whatever. You raise the price too high on OTC for NR's, now you're losing an ally base and dismantling the hunting community.

If people can't hunt, they'll soon lose interest altogether...

2013 Idaho, wyoming and I believe Montana have had huge increases on elk. Your also missing nevada not cheap to hunt. And ID and wyo are talking about more price increases. Utah has sat back and done nothing.

I didn’t see the choice I wanted to make so I chose 25% and I hunt multiple states, but I would say whatever % gives everyone equal odds for premium tags.

2013 Idaho, wyoming and I believe Montana have had huge increases on elk. Your also missing nevada not cheap to hunt. And ID and wyo are talking about more price increases. Utah has sat back and done nothing.
I live in NV. A general season NV deer tag is $240 for anywhere in the state. UT is $268 for the general tag & $468 for LE.
IMO it’s expensive to hunt out of state anywhere. My last 2 DIY out of state hunts costed me over $1,500 each by the time you factor in all of the costs.

Your elk tags ain't cheap. You guys have some great prices on resident tags. Granted Nevada isn't very liberal with it's tags.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom