POLL: What's your favorite style of hunting?

What's your favorite style of hunting?

• Total voters

Founder

Founder Since 1999
What style of hunting do you enjoy the most? Not necessarily what you do the most, but what you've enjoyed the most in your past. Share your vote and then expand in a post. If what you like the most isn't listed, tell us about it. Share a pic or two too.

For me, I think it's got to be the backpacking in for a few days when the weather is nice. I know that I'll not always be able to do it, so I think I appreciate it more than other styles of hunts, which ends up making it more fun.
This was a really fun adventure.......
DSCN3738.JPG

I don't like the way my answer sounds. It makes me sound like a road hunter. A better way to phrase it would be "I prefer day hikes"

Walking out my back door, bow in hand. Huntin all day. Trudging through the snow back to the house, wore out and hungry. Clear that last ridge and see the smoke coming out the chimney and knowing my family is inside. Man, that's a good feeling! Life is good!

I like staying in a bunk house with a kitchen setup of some type. I love camping except the cooking part of camping. I like to have a kitchen with a sink and a stove and a fridge is nice if possible. But I'm okay just using a cooler if need be. I don't like jet boil cooking. I like open fire cooking when camping. Did a turkey hunt/ camping trip 2 weeks ago. Cooked everything on open fire. Food turned out great and I could cook for everyone all at once. You need big heavy pots and pans and a metal grate for that though and that tends to be hard to get into a lot of campsites way back.

I like staying at a KOA. Comfortable, not too far of a drive to get out and hike, glass, etc. Plus, most of the KOA is filled with other hunting groups, so we get to compare notes, share each other's success. Does that make me a flat-brimmed road hunter??

Camping in a tent or the rear of my Rodeo next to a "road" about 400 or 500 yards from my blind. And then all day in the blind. OR sleep at home and drive 20 min/1 hr to the blind a couple of days a week, depending on what tag I get.

It's amazing how many people claim to hike in 4 miles when most areas if you walk 2 your in sight of another road or already crossed a couple.
Your right. I voted for backpacking in but I rarely go 4+ miles. I garrentee you, if you hike two miles with a 3k vertical climb, you'll feel like you just hiked 8+ miles.

I don’t mind either hiking or horsing it but I do prefer the camper these days over a tent, so much more comfortable!!! Do love the horses for packing though especially the Bugling Big Boys!!

I'm just a day hunter now...kill something I'll come back the next day and pack it out with the horses..

Founder ask what you enjoyed most, not what did most. My time in Little Creek, especial with my family, it doesn’t get any better for me. Great country horseback with plenty of solitude and enough game for me with my family, it doesn’t get any better. My most memorable hunts were cow elk hunts so it isn’t always about the horns, but the adventure.

Founder ask what you enjoyed most, not what did most. My time in Little Creek, especial with my family, it doesn’t get any better for me. Great country horseback with plenty of solitude and enough game for me with my family, it doesn’t get any better. My most memorable hunts were cow elk hunts so it isn’t always about the horns, but the adventure.
By the way, much more than 4 miles in and no roads

My favorite way to hunt is to backpack in and set up a spike camp, but not 4+ miles. . I’ve done the 4+ mile thing & it was awesome until we went 3 for 3 on elk. It about killed me & my hunting buddies packing them out back to base camp. One of my buddies had a heart attack a week after that hunt. Thank God it didn’t happen while we were on the mountain.

My favorite way to hunt is to backpack in and set up a spike camp, but not 4+ miles. . I’ve done the 4+ mile thing & it was awesome until we went 3 for 3 on elk. It about killed me & my hunting buddies packing them out back to base camp. One of my buddies had a heart attack a week after that hunt. Thank God it didn’t happen while we were on the mountain.
Packing in that far and killing 3 builds would tough. Lots of loads out.

Roughest hunt I ever did was a mountain goat. We packed in for a spike with the entire camp on our backs. A little over 2 miles. stripped our packs but did not set up camp. Immediately started to climb. Went up about 2500 feet. Killed a goat. He rolled off back side of mountain about 500 feet. We descended and chopped up the goat. Climbed back to top. Spent the night just below the knife edge. Descended the next morning to our pile of gear. Packed it all back up and hiked straight back out the 2 miles. Did it all in a little over 30 hours.

That is not my favorite way to hunt and I doubt I will ever be mad at a mountain goat ever again.

Packing in that far and killing 3 builds would tough. Lots of loads out.
I will never forget that trip... No doubt it was extremely tough, but I have so many great memories from that hunt.
I think we were out there around 11 days. My stomach hurt for 2 days or so after I got home from laughing so much. My 2 hunting buddies are some really great guys & that hunt stands as one of my all time favorites.

For elk we camp then hike in about a mile.

For deer our camp is about 5 miles from where we hike in

Warm shower , comfy bed ,hardy meal,saloon close by to have a cold one with the fellas, hike in 1-3 miles huntin Muley bucks in October/Nov, not saying that’s wat works but in a perfect world ?

The further away from the crowd the better. Fewer hunters bigger deer. Backpacking in works best for me.

It all depends on how much time off of work I have. I am physically prepared to do any one of those options (except horses. I don't own any of those hay burners).

I enjoy getting off of the beaten path and seeing new country though.

So, I know Founder asked for favorite. I went with camp trailer but a little closer to the roads (it changed with me when I hit 55+) But one of the reasons I dig hunting is the variety that you can find depending on the animal your hunting and area/state you may be in. I have had awesome adventures/ hunts cramming into a small-town Wyoming one room hotel (for crashing purposes) with my kids and grandkids. Then cruising the back roads a few days in the jeep hunting antelope.

Other times seriously packing in back country and making it a several day adventure with a muley tag. Elk are so awesome to hunt in Sep/Oct. Camper pulled up into the hills and hiking in a couple miles or taking a two track on a ATV hopefully getting into screaming bulls (It makes for packing one out a little easier too). To each their own but honestly that is why I have loved hunting my entire life. Mixing it up and experiencing what the outdoors offers!

The choices were limited in the survey. My answer is actually whatever the hunt requires. And when I’m not freezing my behind and feet. I don’t mind cold but there are some days where it penetrates the bones. Then I got to make sounds walking off the freeze.

Pretty nice to hit the camper after a day's hunting. Heat, bed, stove, and Crown. Have one while supper's cooking. Maybe another after dinner. Get out the poker chips and deal 'em. My days of busting my butt are long over. Seems I do pretty good hunting and glassing from the truck these days. Use my eyes lots more than I did when I was younger and badder. Window mounts are nice! You can see a long ways! It's all about fun! And maybe a nice critter will show up and you can kill him!

I love hunting out of wall tents. Whether it is getting up and hiking in to areas sitting somewhere and glassing, or cruising roads and covering ground and glassing. I love it all but I love staying in the wall tent. Love the wood burning stove, the smells, the crackling of the fire at night, and you can hear the sounds of the wilds going on at night. Honestly, I think I sleep better when I'm on a cot in a wall tent than when I am in my own bed.

My favorite is my elk camp. Been wall tent camping for almost 25 years. We have spiked out a couple times and it’s ok. As said, I love it all too - the fire, the friendship , meat poles, camp dinners and breakfasts, the serenity of the stars in October is magic baby! A cooler with good craft beer or a bloody is damn sweet after quarters are hanging.

Last edited:
My camp is usually set up down a two track wear I hike in about 4-5 miles a every day. Sometimes spike camping when I get in there depending on what I see.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom