Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Hanwag

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Scarpa

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Irish Setter

Votes: 10 4.6%

• Total voters
I have to pick Zams I have the 980s been wearing them for 5 years tied them up & walked close to 4 miles 1st hike . Never had any break in time, still have loads of tread, they get wore year round.

Oh man, this is a loaded question!
Whatever ones feel best on my feet at the moment. And that kept me dry.

Had a pair Asolo for about 4 years. The sole is somewhat lacking tread after about 100 miles in 2019 alone on them, but the boots are still in fantastic shape. They have been a very good boot for me. And will serve as a backup boot the next couple years.

I’m currently breaking in a pair of Scarpa. Impressed so far, but the real test is still yet to come.

I’ve ran many brands and the worst was BY FAR a pair of danners I had, they held up good but a few miles in on every hike and my feet were killing me! I recently invested in a pair of Zamberlans and after the break in (which was only a couple good hikes) my feet feel like I’m walking on clouds!

Have the 1012 Zams, love them but break in time was rough! Have crispis, love them like the Zams, but didn't have to deal with break in time.

I had a great pair of Danners for about 14 years if I remember correctly. Finally they wore out. Went right out and ordered a new pair of Danners. What a piece of garbage they had become.

Wore Redwing boots for workboots my whole life. Finally wore my last pair out a little less than a year ago. Went to the redwing store and bought a new pair. They told me they don't make the model anymore that I had always worn. Two days in I new they were garbage. China has dam near ruined everything that used to be quality.

Still looking for a good pair of workboots. I am trying Kenetrek for hunting boots. They seem to be doing Okay.

There’s no perfect answer to this when it comes to the top tier hunting boots. It comes down to a individuals foot and hunting style. Boots are a tough thing for me, I have broken all the metatarsals in my right foot twice and it is now completely flat and my right foot has very little arch to begin with. Thankfully I have goat tough feet and rarely if ever blister. Crispi and zamberlan have both worked extremely well for me. Kenetreks have always fit me well but they have never held up to the abuse because of how soft their soles are. My brother on the hand has wide feet and is a diabetic so his feet have always been a difficult thing for him too for other reasons. The only boot he’s been able to find that works for him is lowas with lathrop and sons custom insoles. Best advice for boots is to not listen to a single one individuals advice to what is the best boot. Go and try everything on you can get your hands on and buy what fits and works the best for you.

There’s no perfect answer to this when it comes to the top tier hunting boots. It comes down to a individuals foot and hunting style. Boots are a tough thing for me, I have broken all the metatarsals in my right foot twice and it is now completely flat and my right foot has very little arch to begin with. Thankfully I have goat tough feet and rarely if ever blister. Crispi and zamberlan have both worked extremely well for me. Kenetreks have always fit me well but they have never held up to the abuse because of how soft their soles are. My brother on the hand has wide feet and is a diabetic so his feet have always been a difficult thing for him too for other reasons. The only boot he’s been able to find that works for him is lowas with lathrop and sons custom insoles. Best advice for boots is to not listen to a single one individuals advice to what is the best boot. Go and try everything on you can get your hands on and buy what fits and works the best for you.
Great advice and I agree 100%. I've found boots that work for me, I'm more just curious to see who others like best.

Scarpa Rebels
Lowa Cevedale
Crispi Thor
Salomon GTX4

This is my current boots list, they all have their use and each has negatives as well as positives. Go try on as many boots as possible and hope for the best, it seems to be a gamble every time.

Whites last a very long time, even under the roughest conditions, and can be rebuilt as necessary. Unfortunately, they are not very comfortable, not water resistant, and even leak dirt when they start to wear out even though no holes are evident anywhere on the boot. But...they do outlast any other boot I have tried by a wide margin.

I am going through my second pair of Lowa Tibets now and I am reminded how much I love them. The first pair lasted several seasons on rough terrain before the sole was stripped clean of tread and the rubber began to wear from the leather upper.

I have owned one pair of Schnee's pacs. They are less bulky than Sorrels and have lasted nearly fifteen years with intermittent use where the rubber separated catastrophically from the leather upper in my Sorrels because the threat rotted out. I would buy the Schnees again.

I almost bought the same Meindels back when I got my Asolos. They are very comfortable boots for me. I just elected to go with a synthetic instead of a leather boot.

I've worn 4 different pairs on the list and a couple pair of what I would consider high quality boots that aren't on the list. For me and my feet the only boots I will buy now are Lowa Tibets high top. I've been wearing them for several years now in some pretty extreme mountain conditions and I've found them to be considerably better than any thing else I've tried.

You don’t have a other ? I best boot is the one that fits you best. I have a really wide foot. Try Kennetreks but they couldn’t get them wide enough for me. Had to give them to my son. That’s why I am say Lathrop and sons custom boot system.

-Crispi Colorado
-Lowa Mountain Experts GTX
-Scarpa (Kuiu Model)
-Kenetrek Mountain Extremes
-Kenetrek Hardscrabble

I would have to agree with Deepcolor. Different boots for different situations, kinda like backpacks. The Crispi and Lowa are probably my favorite out of the group and Scarpa are my least. I have owned Hanwags and Danners, but wouldn't waste my money again on either. Next boot purchase will be Crispi Thors.

Word of advice is to try different boots on and see what fits best. Buying boots off the internet and expecting a perfect fit rarely happens.

Last edited:
your handle says it all! plenty of danner fans out there, i guess... guys who don't want to pay real $ for a real boot!

I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns that I absolutely LOVED! One of the best pieces of footwear I ever owned. (Not just boots) All the reports of downward trend in quality scared me off though. My hunting style changed some as well. But if I could get another boot like that, I’d do it for sure.

You can Still Get You Some Niller!

The New Ones will say: MADE IN F'N CHINA!

I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns that I absolutely LOVED! One of the best pieces of footwear I ever owned. (Not just boots) All the reports of downward trend in quality scared me off though. My hunting style changed some as well. But if I could get another boot like that, I’d do it for sure.

C7032B8C-D339-433B-8A6A-F6AED45EDA6A.jpeg
Zamberlans, the best I’ve owned...

your handle says it all! plenty of danner fans out there, i guess... guys who don't want to pay real $ for a real boot!
There needs to be a fist mounted to a computer screen or to your smart phone and when you make a Jackwagon post like that the fist automatically punches you in the mouth.
Your handle should be!
Clueless_onlife

I just received got a pair of Hoffman boots yesterday. I wanted a second pair and my Kenetreks are being rebuilt for the 3rd time (over 12 years so not bad). They go for their first test drive today but in looking at them, they look bomb proof.

I had some kenetreks. Not even 100 miles on them and the soles were toast, very poor quality for a $500 dollar boot in my opinion. I’m trying lowa’s now. Can’t be any worse than kenetrek anyway.

Absolutely Coloradoboy nailed it.
I'm also of the wide tender foot camp so Lowas Renegades are the quickest easiest light weight to fit my feet. For my last serious mountain (sheep) hunt I bought a pair of Zamberlans with Lathrop insoles. But that's just my feet!

Asolo. Their quality and construction is hard to beat. Only question is if they fit your feet. If they do, there isn't a better boot on the market for the money. You can find last year's closeouts for 50% off which is a great deal especially when compared to the expensive boots in the hunting niche.

With whatever type of boot, you can also use an after-market insole to get the fit just right.

I run Lowa’s. I like that you can get them in wide sizes and the break in time is very fast. I have the Renegade for early season, Tibet for mid to late and Hunter for late.

Another vote for Meindl. I wore out a pair of light hikers and my heavy boots are splitting seams across the back. But for pure comfort, they can't be beat. I'm running Zamberlan light hikers now. I have no idea the name of them. Had them for several months and they are wearing out on the backs of the soles. I walk a lot. They seem okay but not as comfortable as those Meindls.

Hanwag's for me. These boots are just perfect for how I hunt. I have the Saponi GTX boots with the Gore-Tex liner. I liked them so much I bought a second pair.

Lots of quality boot choices out there and fit to your individual foot is critical as many have already said. I just bought a pair of Zamberlan's new 966 Saguaro GTX boot and have been very impressed with the quality and comfort of the boot. Can't wait to get them in the hills with a pack on!

First "high-dollar" boots were Lowa's on clearance at a backpacking store about 20 years years ago and they were comfortable as sh!t out of the box.

Til then, my feet would get their ass kicked in wilderness, high alpine backpacking trips with heavy loads. Blisters, arches hurting and leaky boots had been the norm.

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes were my next "big dollar" investments and they held up to some serious backpacking hunts for 6-7 years until they began to leak. Bought some Salomons to mix in but sole not stiff and they wiffed during a lava rock pronghorn hunt in California. Lucky I had my Kenetreks as back up....

Bought another pair of Kenetrek 3 years ago, but also added Lowa Tibet and Zamberlan 980's this Christmas so the year I'll have 3 high end boots to use and test, but they all look/feel similar: 10-11 inch high, heavy leather, waterproof, GTX-type stiff-soled boots.

These boot types seem to continually make my feet happy and hunts enjoyable in bad terrain with heavy loads in any conditions.

But as many have said, find what works for you.

The European model of Meindl Island Pro have always worked really well for me, they are the only boots I have had for the last 10 or 12 years

i recently got some scarpa brown all leather boots at used sporting goods store. they are a bit stiff but pretty comfortable and seem pretty solid. was looking at some new scarpas a few years ago then settled on hanwags. plenty of good boots out there ... would love to try Crispis one day. zamberlins felt very stiff but seems like they break in well = lots of recommendations for them. lots of opinions here = boot fit is very personal to your foot type and hunting style

I tried several brands and then stopped looking when I bought my first pair of Lowas. Been running them for decades now. Order 1/2 size larger than you wear and get the wides if you wear "D" or wider. Other brands failed early/often or during the season. The soles on one very expensive pair of boots failed before I could get them broke in. I finally filled them with gas and lit them off. It was the best experience I had with them.

Meindl Perfect hunters and Meindl Perfect hikers have been my go to hunting boots for years. I have never found better hunting boots. But Cabelas stopped carrying them so I not sure what I'll be wearing when my Meindl's where out.

I love my Meindls but it's about how much you got to spend. Back in the 1980's and 1990's I wore out a number of pairs of Danners and loved them but boot technology has come a long way. When I finally had the resources around 2012 I bought some Meninales from Cabelas Put my foot in and Ka thunk felt like a ski boot. Just love these boots... I'm older now so they won't get the mileage of my old Danners but for the money Meindls are hard to beat.

Crispi are garbage. They do a little better at advertising and they're a little less on price. Kinda like Vortex.

Meindl Perfect hunters and Meindl Perfect hikers have been my go to hunting boots for years. I have never found better hunting boots. But Cabelas stopped carrying them so I not sure what I'll be wearing when my Meindl's where out.

Here is their website to order direct-may not have the same boot, but you can call and see if they have something similar-

Go to Meindl USA and you can order them direct. The perfekt, I believe was a Cabelas exclusive because they no longer have them but they are making the Comfort Fit hiker which is the same platform as the perfekt, and they are the German made, not the China ones like their light hikers were, those are junk. I ordered some last December. They're pretty much a direct replacement but not as "out of box" comfortable as the perfekt was. Still the most solid feeling boot I've had though.

I have pretty narrow feet and I have loved my Crispi's. They have held up well for the last season, we will see how much longer they hold up. My last pair was the Crispi Lapponia boot, they are super lightweight and have been awesome.

Used to love the Danner pronghorns but once my first pair wore out I bought another pair and they were junk. Crazy how fast Danner's quality went down in just a matter of 3-5 years (this was around 2012).

My brothers have Lowa's and they love them as well.

Tri- I have tried a ton of different work boots and so far my Georgia boots have been the best for quality and comfort.

My narrow feet love my zamberlan's. They really held up good going through a lot of rock this year I am impressed. I have not heard a single good review, from a serious outdoors man or woman about kenetrek.

Just ordered a set of Irish Setter 880. They fit my 9EEEE feet. Are very comfortable for long days hunting. If they stayed waterproof more than one or two seasons they would be perfect for my use. I just degrade them to work boots once they start leaking and buy a new set.

My son got me boots for my birthday 2 years ago. He had me try a bunch of different makes and Lowas were the best for my feet. Good out of the box and no issues at all.
I think it's really important to try a lot of different makes and models. Everyone's feet are different. Try to sample the different boots at the same time if possible, it really highlights the differences in the boots.

I've had 2 Mendl which the soles fell apart (one on my way to the airport going on a hunt) When new both pairs were very comfortable and great boots. What happens is eventually the soles deteriorate Cabelas replaced the first boot with a brand new boot replacement. It seems like if you don't use the boots for a long time that happens. Next I went to Lowa and the same thing happened. I sent the boots back to Lowa and they replaced the soles and even put a brand new rand on. Guess what I never used the boots once and the same thing happened again. I'm debating rather to send it back again since I had to pay for shipping. My best boot since 2010 has been the Danner Raptor made in the USA. So far it's performed better than anything I have. I dont know if Danner makes that same model but I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

So?

There's few different Styles of Raptors?

Wondering which ones you Have/Like?

I've had 2 Mendl which the soles fell apart (one on my way to the airport going on a hunt) When new both pairs were very comfortable and great boots. What happens is eventually the soles deteriorate Cabelas replaced the first boot with a brand new boot replacement. It seems like if you don't use the boots for a long time that happens. Next I went to Lowa and the same thing happened. I sent the boots back to Lowa and they replaced the soles and even put a brand new rand on. Guess what I never used the boots once and the same thing happened again. I'm debating rather to send it back again since I had to pay for shipping. My best boot since 2010 has been the Danner Raptor made in the USA. So far it's performed better than anything I have. I dont know if Danner makes that same model but I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Heres a photo I took today of my Danner Raptors. I think I got it 2009. Also several photos of my Resoled Lowas that falling apart without any use whatsoever.

20200423_164851.jpg

20200423_164917.jpg

20200423_165124.jpg

20200423_165100.jpg

Man Kal!

You're Rough on Stuff!:D

Good Thing you had some Mule Tape with You!:D

That MADE IN THE USA Tag on the Danners Means Something!

I wear Salomon personally. I have 3 pairs that I alternate depending on where I’m hunting & the temperature.
So far I’m extremely pleased with how well they have held up. I take care of them after each season and so far so good.
As a few others have stated, I’m not a fan at all if Danner. I used to wear them years ago & they would either fall apart prematurely or hurt like hell to wear them. I won’t ever buy another pair from them.

What model did you have?
I have no idea what model they were. To be fair to Danner, it was over 20 years ago that I had them. So they may have gotten better since then.
I also bought a pair of Irish Setters about 5 years ago and they have been terrible to wear. Even at 5 years, I still haven't been able to break them in and they seem to be very "top heavy". Meaning, I have a very hard time keeping my balance while hiking in rocks with them. The last pair of boots I bought about three years ago were the Merrill light hikers. I don't know what model but they were very comfortable the first two year but now, not so much as they are wearing out. Time to look for another comfortable light hiker.

Does anyone here have experience with the Under Armour Bozeman speed freak 2.0? I just bought a pair at Sportsmans warehouse. They were on sale for $105 with free shipping. I haven't tried them yet but they look like they might be a decent lightweight, warm weather boot.

They're MADE IN CHINA bob!

(((RAZZIN YA!:D)))

Every-F'N-Thing is MADE IN CHINA!

Does anyone here have experience with the Under Armour Bozeman speed freak 2.0? I just bought a pair at Sportsmans warehouse. They were on sale for $105 with free shipping. I haven't tried them yet but they look like they might be a decent lightweight, warm weather boot.

I wear La Sportiva Glacier boots and have been for the past 18 years. They have the sole support amd ankle support that I need. More of a mild mountaineering boot, crampon compatible with compression lacing system and vibram soles. They work great for me.

however, boots are a touchy subject. It is hard to say one is better than the other because everyone is built different and uses them differently.

I have to pick Zams I have the 980s been wearing them for 5 years tied them up & walked close to 4 miles 1st hike . Never had any break in time, still have loads of tread, they get wore year round.
I got a pair of Zamberlans about a month ago. I thought my feet were broken before this new pair. Nope, just my ability to get proper boots at the right size was broken. My feet happen to be just fine these days, and I shed hunt in Nevada 3-5 times a week all year long. Wait, regulations though? Sure.

They're MADE IN CHINA bob!

(((RAZZIN YA!:D)))

Every-F'N-Thing is MADE IN CHINA!
Yeah everything is made in China but it sounds like things will be shifting away from there to more manufacturing in Vietnam, South Korea and Philippines.

I put some Dr. Scholes insoles in the boots and have only worn them for about five minutes but so far I think they are going to work well. They get good reviews, have good ankle support and are light. I'll never buy another pair of Danners I can tell you that much. I waited six months for a pair of Kennetreks that I ordered a few years ago, the toe pockets were too small, way smaller than the ones I tried when I ordered them so I sold them off.

I hate buying shoes and boots because it usually takes a few days of wearing them to know if they will fit or cause problems.

I haven’t worn all the boots mentioned so I’ll just speak to ones I have.

15 years ago I bought a pair of Danner pronghorns every year. Loved em. But chasing chukar on lava would wear the tread off in one season.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of uninsulated Kennetreks, Mountain Hunters. Still my favorite boot. Didn’t seem the same after I sent them in for resoleing after 3 years. Have had the insulated model as well, same boot.

this year I bought a couple pair of Crispis. A hiker and the Idaho model. This was to get me through my sending my Kennetreks back for resoling.

I like the Chrispi Idaho’s so much I think they’ll be my early season chukar boots and early season big game boots.

So, other than Cabelas Elk Hunters I wore for a couple of years, I haven’t had a bad experience with any of the more expensive boots I’ve bought but price seems to equal longevity.

The "best" boot is the one that fits your feet. Nobody can tell you what the best boot is for you. If you buy a boot because of an internet poll, you might be really disappointed. Try them on first. mtmuley
The boot that fits best isn't the best boot for you if it falls apart right away.

I’ve had kenetreks and crispi love them both. I do feel like kenetrek last a little longer and are more durable. That’s speaking for the kenetrek mountain hunter and crispi Nevada. But it depends on your feet some guys like lowa and zamberlan better. I want to try the crispi Thor and wouldn’t mind the kenetrek hard scrabble either.

I’ve had kenetreks and crispi love them both. I do feel like kenetrek last a little longer and are more durable. That’s speaking for the kenetrek mountain hunter and crispi Nevada. But it depends on your feet some guys like lowa and zamberlan better. I want to try the crispi Thor and wouldn’t mind the kenetrek hard scrabble either.
I want to try the hardscramble too but haven’t bring myself to pay $450 for hikers. I do have a pair of their “cheap” Bridger hikers. Very comfortable and my everyday shoe but the goretex on top of the left boot separated after about a year. I still hike with in warm/hot weather.

I want to try the hardscramble too but haven’t bring myself to pay $450 for hikers. I do have a pair of their “cheap” Bridger hikers. Very comfortable and my everyday shoe but the goretex on top of the left boot separated after about a year. I still hike with in warm/hot weather.

kalielkslayer sometimes scheels has them on sale. They are basically the same as the mtn hunter just not as tall or heavy. And I love my mtn hunters I just need to have them resoled. Those bridgers look like they’d be a great early season type boot. Maybe I’ll have to try them.

I usually wear what I’m comfortable in the mountains with but probably won’t find anyone to agree. If there is little to no snow I wear my Whites. One of my pairs I’ve had since 2004 and all they need is a new sole this year.

Any one running Hoffman Explorers?
Made in Idaho. That's pretty much as USA as it gets. Their Pack Boots are Out Standing.... my Russell's have seen their last sheep hunt...Thinking I'll try these.

Meindl Vakuum - the replacement for the Perfekt Hunter

My Meindl Perfekt boots are over 10 years old and have been used hard and a lot. Construction is still perfect.

That should be on the list.

Lowas and Crispis!

Had Kenetrek Mtn Extremes 1 day and returned them...super stiff, heavy, and felt like I was on stilts with the thick soles!

I wanted to circle back and report on some findings on the Scarpa R-Evolution boots I’ve been trying this year.

I have about eight to ten 2-5 mile hikes with them now. They are a reasonably comfortable boot. I’ve been pretty happy with that. I did just replace the insoles last week, as I think the factory insole they use is junk.

I do have one complaint with this boot. My feet sweat in these things. And I mean, they SWEAT! I’ve never had my feet sweat so much in a boot while hiking. That obviously brings along other issues with it. I’m trying to figure out what’s up with that. We’ll give it a little more time.

Hey Niller!

If the Boots Ain't Breathing And you're Feet are Sweating You're Screwin Yourself!

You'll be so F'N Lamed Up You won't be able to Hunt That PISSCUTTER Buck!

I wanted to circle back and report on some findings on the Scarpa R-Evolution boots I’ve been trying this year.

I have about eight to ten 2-5 mile hikes with them now. They are a reasonably comfortable boot. I’ve been pretty happy with that. I did just replace the insoles last week, as I think the factory insole they use is junk.

I do have one complaint with this boot. My feet sweat in these things. And I mean, they SWEAT! I’ve never had my feet sweat so much in a boot while hiking. That obviously brings along other issues with it. I’m trying to figure out what’s up with that. We’ll give it a little more time.

I think there is one answer missing here, namely Kanye West. It seems that his company, which makes Yeezy shoes, is simply magnificent in everything that it creates. First of all, the shoes are very comfortable, and secondly, this design is simply brilliant. I constantly buy adidas yeezy for myself and my husband because he is also a big fan. We have about 10 couples each, and this is the only gift we give each other for any holiday. It's cool that my husband supports my passion for shoes and does not condemn it, as you might think

Not a huge fan of their boots but the old Danner Elk Hunter soles had the best overall grip. Have a pair of Zamberlan's that were comfy right out of the box. Sort of a related issue, but feet always get cold regardless of boot when hunting above 10k and glassing, anyone have a solid solution for this? ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom