Possey Hunting

scopenstalk

Am I the only one that busts up laughing when I see a pic of a kill on the Henrys or the Pauns and there are 15 people behind one deer? Hunting with family and what not is great but really? For one deer? haha maybe Im just weird but thats just funny as hell to me. But hell if it keeps those tards off the other deer units then sweet!!! stack em up!

I think the pictures with lots of family and friends are great. Making memories is what it is all about. The Henry's tags are so few and far between that when someone in the family gets one in may be a once in a lifetime tag for not just the hunter, but for the family.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-16 AT 10:15PM (MST)[p]I guess it all depends on the person......

Hunting with family is one of the great things about hunting for me. Having said that, I am also somewhat selective as to who I hunt with, and prefer spending that valuable time with valuable people.

>I think the pictures with lots
>of family and friends are
>great. Making memories is what
>it is all about.
>The Henry's tags are so
>few and far between that
>when someone in the family
>gets one in may be
>a once in a lifetime
>tag for not just the
>hunter, but for the family.
>

I'm not going to argue those points. I guess at the end of the day I want a trophy buck as much as the next guy, I just don't see the sense in that many people on one tag. I would tell my family to go hunt their own buck and fill their freezer! Different view points I suppose

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-16 AT 11:45AM (MST)[p]Hahaha!!! I joked about this a month ago on another post, and then that pic comes out! C'mon, we all know maybe three of those guys are related. The rest are paid "friends."

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-16 AT 12:19PM (MST)[p]Personally I don't care if it's the next world record. If I didn't play a major part in finding and carrying out my own animal, than what's the point, but to each his/her own. Like you said, keep em in the trophy units, and let the rest of us do our thing. When I see an outfitter pic, I usually cruise right along. Doesn't even register to me as a trophy.

It's totally cool and awesome when it is family/friends, when it is an outfitter and his crew than not so cool.

My only regret about my Book Cliffs Hunt this year is that I happened to kill my buck on Opening Day, a Saturday, when I could have very well had my wife and kids with me... Unfortunately, I was planning on staying longer, and with kids in school, they couldn't be there. I wish I had field photos and video of my wife and kids with my buck.

I do agree that the outfitter photos are sometimes quite ridiculous...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Sorry, but I see it differently. When my wife drew her OIL moose tag, I had a crap load of friends and family, and friends of family that wanted to go and help. I was excited as heck, and willing to share the experience with anyone willing. My wife and I had already found thne bull she wanted. All that was left was the shot, and packout. There were 9 of us, and I regret not get a pic with everyone that came to help. I sure appreciated everyones help.

9 years later, when she drew her sheep tag, same thing. 9 of us and it was awesome sitting around camp BS'ing, and again, I appreciated the help. And I got my group pic.

This year, my wife drew her LE elk. The 1st 4 days of hunting, it was just me, her, and the operater. Boring as heck. Last 2 day, Me, her, my brother, and a guide. Better, but not as fun as a group.

In the picture referenced, there may have been 4,5, 8 guys not related, or even guides, paid or not. So freakin what. They all played a part in getting that trophy on the ground, and if it was me, I'd want then in that pic so I could remember who was there.

Everybody is different, but I don't see a guy hunting alone and say "What a looser, he don't have no friends. Must be an A hole." some people like hunting alone, and high fiving a tree. Good for you. But you got a complex if you need to critisize others group photos.

Yelum

YBU

7019yelumlogosig2.jpg

Posse hunting pretty well sucks if you are hunting a unit and another hunter has 12 guys out scouting/glassing for him. It can RUIN your hunt. I get why people do it...but I don't think too many stop and think about how their actions can affect other hunters.

Or they just don't care.

I witnessed posse hunting in Wyoming this year for the first time. Guess what? Virtually ALL of the license plates were from Utah!! You can imagine how surprised I was!!

NOT impressed.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-16 AT 04:57PM (MST)[p]"Good for you. But you got a complex if you need to critisize others group photos."

No, no complex here. I just am not afraid to criticize what I see as a total bastardization of hunting. Also, your so self righteous you went out of your way to insult the guys who hunt alone even though you claim not to ? How is your "high five a tree" comment not an insult? Pot calling the kettle black. Quite frankly I think possey hunting is ruining the sport in a lot of ways. Us average guys who care more about the meat than the antlers and do hunt alone or with their dad or brother get tired of seeing this. I honestly don't care if this offends anyone. Its my opinion and I stand by it. Quite frankly the best ammunition you can give an anti-hunter is a group photo of a bunch of tards in front of a massive deer. It just turns people away from it. Guess what the antis out number hunters about 10 to 1 sooooo if you want to lose the right to hunt then hunters should just continue to make it look like all we care about are antlers.

Someone draws a tag in one of the most sought after mule deer units in the world and it's a crime if friends and family want to be a part of it. I'd be pissed if I wasn't invited. I also worked in the trona mines behind Little America for a number of years and I can tell you that Wyoming has it's share of slob hunters. I also found out that there was a huge rivalry between Wyoming and Utah. Problem was that Utah didn't know about it.

scopenstalk,
How am I being self rightous? You and I both went out of our way to come on this site and give our opinions. I didn't say you or anyone else was wrong, I just stated that I see it differently. It was my opinion. I didn't criticize solo hunters, and I seriously doubt my slappin tree comment offended anyone. It meant no one to share the joy with. Some hunters like to be alone. I have a friend that drew a good LE elk tag. He scouted alone, hunted alone, with dad in camp, killed his bull alone, took pics by himself, took care of the meat, and called a horse guy to pack it out. I felt bad for him, but he didn't want it any other way. Its his hunt, he has that right. Are you gonna criticize him for not packing it out himself like you would have.

"Quite frankly the best ammunition you can give an anti-hunter is a photo group of tards in front of a massive deer."

Really, thats the best? I guess I've seen worse.

Guess what? We mostly care about the antlers on this site. Thats 95% of the reason why I come here. The other 5 is entertainment. I don't get on here to read about how much you enjoyed your meat buck. If that offends you, then sorry, but it is what it is.

nontypical,
I agree with what you're saying, and the reason for it. Big groups with one hunter can, and do create problems for solo guys. Sometimes messy problems. We've all heard stories, and some of us have experienced them. But solo hunters can and do mess up someones hunt too. Its hunting.
Yelum

YBU

7019yelumlogosig2.jpg

I see both sides, my view is if you are doing everything within the law then have at it.
I personally don't mind sitting on a rock with a couple of friends or family, glassing up some beautiful country. There is a difference between pointing out a buck to the guy next to you and making a phone call telling somebody you found them a buck.
If 10 tags are given for a unit and all tag holders bring 12 helpers, quickly turns into 120 folks roaming around. So gotta see it from both sides.

I ran up against this very thing this year for the first time! My dad drew a coveted Utah LE elk tag after applying for 22 years. We done our do diligence of scouting all year with a friend. We had family in camp wives , kids, etc. Then come opening of the hunt and started running into outfitters and other locals with 20 to 30 guys in each group. One group had 25+ guys on every ridge up one canyon. The other had 6 of the Trademark Jacked-up, full led light bar across the roof, white Toyota trucks run up into one canyon and 15 guys jump out and start bugling there guts out. That one was comical sat back and watched them push every bull out of the canyon. The other run in was My dad and I were on an overlook glassing thinking we were the only ones there and look over my shoulder and there's one of the dude's from the local group setting in our back pocket. Come to find out what they had done was loaded up a bunch of them standing in the back of a side by side and drove down the road dropping guys off one at a time to glass that canyon. At what point does helping and spotting become hunting? Now I don't have a problem with friends and family sharing the experience and all. What I do take issue with is this posse hunting. They may not be able to shoot but by all rights they are hunting.

Fish and wildlife departments issue the number of tags that they believe the game population can support and which will not interfere with the quality of the hunt from the perspective of the tag holders. Many of them accept that too many people in the same place are capable of ruining the hunt for everyone. Partly as a result of the need to manage people, rather than deer, state wildlife departments reduce tag numbers when a unit becomes too crowded. For this simple reason alone it should be considered poor form to invite along a posse. Not only does this increase the chances of interfering with other's hunts, it may also impact the number of legitimate hunters to receive the tag in the future. It may be legal to invite a large group, but it is undeniably selfish.

The outfitter guide posses pics are a joke with their lame water marks. The only thing more amusing is their devoted disciples.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I see why friends/family like to join in and help, it is great to see however it can be excessive (do not know what that number is).
I have never had that many people on a hunt nor would I, most I ever had was one.
I feel it does negatively affect other hunters experience when there are large groups for one tag. I feel they are all "hunters" and the work put in by the tag holder is greatly reduced because of so many people. I like to earn my punched tag, scouting myself, learning the units etc.. sure I have taken tips and honestly I often go 180 degrees just so I do not take help.

After an animal is down and they are there to help pack, great! Not everyone can pack out an entire animal themselves. The effect that group has at this point is minimal.

If I drew a tag and only a small number were issued yet it seemed like there were quadruple the tag numbers due to all of the "helpers" I'd be pissed. Part of the reason for drawing a unit with low tag numbers is to see fewer hunters. That is negated with large groups.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Posts 16-21 are all spot on. Big difference between a friend or family member tagging along and a whole entire group of spotters with cell phones; two-way radios; etc. Especially when they block roads with their foot on the brakes-essentially telling anyone behind them that they have laid claim to the area ahead and you're NOT welcome.
If I see someone has already beat me to a hunting spot, I go elsewhere. But it's quite infuriating if those vehicles blocking the road are not even the hunter...but the spotter/helper/guide( whatever!)! It's my opinion that this type of hunting is basically RUINING hunting. It's not about the hunt anymore. It's all about inches. At all costs. Everyone else be damned. I need 12 guys to help me kill the biggest buck/bull/ram so I can hurry up and post it on the WWW so the whole wide world can see how special I am.

Hornsrus- Plenty of slob hunters anywhere you go. We have our share here in Wyoming. This year was my first experience with the posse hunting mentality here in Wyoming. Quite frankly, I was appalled that people even hunted that way. Keep your Utah style of hunting in Utah, please.

Just my opinion.

....and I thought hunting with my brother and 2 sons-in-law that I had a posse! I'm a light-weight!

I did see some of that big posse stuff on my deer hunt. It's amazing how much country one guy can cover when he's got a gaggle of guys doing it for him!

We had a little interaction with guides and outfitters and they were quite pleasant and actually a little informative so I have nothing bad to say about them personally.

To each their own but it's not my cup of tea.

Zeke

This is the last thing I'm going to say on this thread.
1. Every buck is and should be a meat buck regardless of antler size. Hunting for mature bucks is fine but if the meat isn't the main reason you're shooting a deer then that's really messed up.
2. I'm from Utah and I disdain posse hunting (glad I finally learned how to spell the word).
3. I do hunt alone quite a bit but don't frown on those who hunt with family. I do think it can be excessive and just down right unethical when someone employs a huge group of people to hunt one deer.
4. Guided posse hunts really are what will end hunting. That and idiots who don't care about hunting for meat.

"I also found out that there was a huge rivalry between Wyoming and Utah. Problem was that Utah didn't know about it."

There's also a huge rivalry between Utards and Idaho, Colorado, and Montana. Believe me, the Tards know all about it.

Man puffy, you have some valuable inside track info.
I'll bet you know the secret hand shake too.
Zeke

To each his own. I personally would not want 20 people finding my buck and then calling me in. I have a short list of people I would hunt with and about half my hunts I am alone. I guess I don't understand the 20-30 people groups looking for a deer and calling in the shooter. I do think I understand that some of these tags are once in a lifetime and folks don't want to go home empty handed. But if hunting just becomes killing the future of hunting is in jeopardy.

Rich

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-16 AT 08:03AM (MST)[p]I don't think it is hunting if someone that is in your party calls you on the radio and says they are on such and such ridge and that there's a big buck here. For the one who has the tag, what fun is that? I hunt with my Dad and my 15 year old son. We hunt TOGETHER because that's why were out there...to be together and share the experience. The only time my Dad and I would split up is if we were running out of time to fill both of our tags. I do think its somewhat unethical to have tons of guys set up on every ridge for one tag. This will be debated til were all blue in the face so I'll leave it at that. I would never bring spotters on any of my hunts...neither would my son or my Dad because that's the way we've been taught. I'd never go spot for anyone else either. The purpose of the hunt is to share the experience, not fill tags with the highest grossing score possible. That's just my opinion of course.

I'll be high fiving trees in CO in a couple days hopefully. Going solo...just me. I've done this one other time on my Vernon hunt and it was a very gratifying hunt knowing I did everything myself.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

This year we had 11 family members along for the Utah bow hunt on a not very good general hunt unit. Sadly, we only had one person with a tag. The other 10 were wondering what happened to the good old days when we would have all had tags, and wondering why are we here anyway.

There are plenty of better places to vacation and view wildlife, and you can go on vacation anytime, not just on the date dictated by the state.

Hunting in Utah will soon be going the way of the dodo bird I'm afraid.

>The outfitter guide posses pics are
>a joke with their lame
>water marks. The only
>thing more amusing is their
>devoted disciples.
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I've hunted for 40yrs and guided for almost half that and never had more than 1 person in the photo, the person that shot the animal, so havin the family and friend dipshit photo is NO better than any outfitter photo ever took!

15 powder blue shirts in a pic looks ridiculous!

To each is own until that interferes with another hunter's right to hunt. I see no difference between inviting 15 family members to "enjoy the experience" and an outfitter setting out 15 spotters on every knob for his client. If the family members are all out there glassing- they are taking away locations another deserving hunter coulb be glassing from.
The only excepton I could see is if there is only 1 tag for the unit.
If people would just use common courtesy!

I do find it funny that every time a big buck is posted on the internet the picture suddenly looks like a NASCAR stock car. Mossback, Wade Lemon, etc all attach their logo and hashtags.

Outfitters should be limited to Private Land Only. Would solve almost all the problem, among others, and I don't think our public lands should help line their pockets. Period. Every hunt I've ever been on with the presence of an outfitter in the area has sucked for numerous reasons.

Don't give one shitz how personable or nice an outfitter is. They shouldn't be guiding on public land for profit. Countless problems solved!!!

When I first glanced at the title of this thread I thought it was about Trump and should have been in the Political forum. Man was I disappointed when I started reading.

The thing I don't get, is everyone loves to say " its about spending time as a family". It used to be " family tradition to fill the freezer". If you have 15 guys and you have a bunch of tags in my opinion that's really what hunting is about. Filling the freezer creating memories etc. It ceases to be about family when you require 3 guides 10 family members a camp chef and an autobiographer to record the hunt of one single deer. That's when it becomes a " My deer is bigger than your deer" contest and that's a terrible image to show the people who don't hunt. Hunters don't get that you're right to hunt truly hinges on how the people who don't hunt view our sport. I've never met a non hunter that thought trophy hunting is ok or ethical.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-16
>AT 10:00?PM (MST)

>
>Done arguing. Stated my opinion.

Must suck to not have any family or friends that want to hunt with you!

I got invited to go with a friend who drew a Utah Henry's tag this year. (He had 20 points) One hunter and five friends to share the experience. It was my first time there and it was amazing. I think all places should be managed like that. For all the bad I have heard about Utah. Way to go Utah. I saw more mature Bucks in 4 days than I have seen all year in WY. That includes the winter range. (And no one looks more than me) Most Trophy hunters are very selective and are more than happy to go with an unfilled tag, if they don't find what they are looking for. Some will have a streak of luck for a few years, But usually go several years between kills. The so called fill your freezer guys think they have to fill their tag no matter what. Usually taking 1 to 3 year olds. No one enjoys Deer meat more than I do. But I enjoy having live ones around to. "Possey hunting" or not I'm glad I got to go.

Do you really know this? Nope cuz you are far from correct. That is my daughter and those in that photo are family and yes, life long friends. I was there also but not on mtn, I was at camp with even more family. This was a once in a lifetime hunt, my daughter, son in law, her dad, in laws, myself and our friends who we've known for as long as I can remember was there. So joke all you want but your far from the truth. You do not know us or anything about us to say anything. My daughter and son in law worked very hard preparing for this hunt & that work paid off. My daughters has a saying "the harder you work, the luckier you are". She's a damn hard worker & successful in all she does.

>Sounds to me the OP doesn't
>have much for friends and
>seems jealous.

Ya, I've had to deal with that type of mentality the last few years.
What I don't understand is, guys say the group hunters are ruining their solo hunting experience and want the group hunter to conform to their way of hunting or hunt somewhere else. Even if it's an undesirable way of hunting for the group hunter to do so.

Proud member of the Wolfpack!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-16 AT 09:25PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-16 AT 09:25?PM (MST)

"Sounds to me the OP doesn't have much for friends and seems jealous."

hah yeah I'm gonna just leave that pissing contest alone right there. Nice try though

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-16 AT 09:06PM (MST)[p]>I got invited to go with
>a friend who drew a
>Utah Henry's tag this year.
>(He had 20 points) One
>hunter and five friends to
>share the experience. It was
>my first time there and
>it was amazing. I think
>all places should be managed
>like that."

Guess what buddy, If all places were managed like the Henrys you may never get to go hunting again. Ever.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-16 AT 10:09PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-16 AT 09:27?PM (MST)

Personally I've never ran into this mainly because I've never had a great tag. I think if I ran into multiple people spotting for 1 tag holder I would be ok with it as long as they are polite. What I wouldn't be ok with is any kind of co<K blocking so to speak. Folks blocking roads or acting like they have sole authority on a mountain or area are getting to close to inner city gang mentality. Not what's needed in the woods!

I am OK with that. (Not Hunting again, ever.) I would rather not Hunt than see our Deer Herds get pounded. Just to see Big Bucks like that is enough for me. I thought you were against crowds. So I thought you would be for Hunting with less people. This is going to be the way it is everywhere. When there are more Hunters than Deer. Limit Hunters or wipe out the Deer herd. Those who need meat that bad can help their kids raise a 4H Pig.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-16
>AT 10:09?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-16
>AT 09:27?PM (MST)

>
> Folks blocking
>roads or acting like they
>have sole authority on a
>mountain or area are getting
>to close to inner city
>gang mentality. Not what's needed
>in the woods!

Is there any truth to blocking roads or just rumors on the internet?

>I am OK with that. (Not
>Hunting again, ever.) I would
>rather not Hunt than see
>our Deer Herds get pounded.
>Just to see Big Bucks
>like that is enough for
>me. I thought you were
>against crowds. So I thought
>you would be for Hunting
>with less people. This is
>going to be the way
>it is everywhere. When there
>are more Hunters than Deer.
>Limit Hunters or wipe out
>the Deer herd. Those who
>need meat that bad can
>help their kids raise a
>4H Pig.
In Colorado hunter numbers are down and so are deer. Units, like 10 have never returned to the glory years (over the counter tags) even after a couple decades of very limited tags. I can remember seeing over 1000 deer in less than 1/2 hour driving. During season hundreds of hunting camps.

You can have both. There are other factors besides the number of hunters.

Also, if want to see bucks go before or after season.

In this citation who knows. I have been stuck behind a train load of hound hunters going slow and not letting anyone pass because they want to be the first ones down the road. Nothing against hound hunters, just those guys were d!cks.

Yes, it's true. I've seen it. And it's too bad. I told the Game Warden they should set up a drive-through coffee hut and draw numbers to see who gets which road at daylight every day. He laughed, but I was serious. And maybe a porta potty too. Someone was not even decent enough to get 2 feet off the road to take a poop. Heckuva note to have to drive around that big pile, but it was something to be proud of; a real keeper.

To each their own. I'm more a lone wolf when it comes to hunting. I get family/friends pissed at me all the time because I don't invite them on my hunts. I just get more satisfaction out of the hunt when I do it by myself and I've yet to feel the need to high five a tree, a bush or even a rock.

The biggest problem I have with posse hunting is when the posse splits up to cover more ground. If you want to have a bunch of family and friends on your hunt great more power to you as long as you keep your posse all together with the tag holder. I mean if posse hunting is really about spending time in the woods with friends and family then shouldn't the posse members be doing just that instead of splitting up. How can you spend time with your posse when they're all in a different spots.

I've been running into more and more problems with posse hunting now days. I was on a coues hunt a few weeks ago in AZ. On opening morning I found myself driving down a dead end two track to one of my favorite glassing spots only to find another hunter was already there. No big deal it was still early so I drove 15 mins to another spot across the canyon only to find another hunter already there as well. So once again I drove to another spot and once again I ran into another truck parked at the spot I wanted to glass from. By now the sun was starting to rise and I'm wasting valuable glassing time so I back down the road a bit to give the other hunter some space and tried to make the best out of the situation. A couple hours later the hunters start heading back down my way. I ended up talking to the guys and I come to find out they were with the same other two groups that had beat me to the other two spots earlier that morning. They had a total of 6 guys in their group and only one tag. Needless to say this info was a bit frustrating to hear but what could I do other than smiled and wished them luck as they went on their way.

Yep I'm not a big fan of the divide and conquer posses.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom