Possibly building a rifle

Bigperk66

I would like everyone's input. Please be gracious and kind....I know there are plenty of remington haters on here, but trying to build a custom on the cheap (2K ish).

Thinking about a custom on a remington SA. Would like to go with a carbon barrel, custom trigger and mcmillan stock. I think it can be done, but will be close in price. 2K does not include scope of course.

My biggest question is what caliber? Primarily for Mule deer, speed goats and white tails, but If I get lucky enough for an elk hunt, maybe strong enough for that.

I already own a remington 5R tactical in 308. Don't want to mess with that, as it's a shooter, and worth more when left alone. I also own a kimber mtn. ascent in .270, which is a fine rifle, but have alway's wanted a custom rifle. Not willing to spend 5 grand on one. I was actually thinking about a .270 WSM, but don't know anything about that round. I hand load, so if the rifle is built properly, just about anything should shoot 1/2 MOA.

I appreciate your input. Not sure what barrel or trigger to go with...again, trying to do this on a budget.

BigPerk

I hate to even say it, bandwagon and all, but if it is 95 percent deer/pronghorn go 6.5 PRC. Ammo situation is getting better and more loads are coming out.
Thanks for the response.

So, just confirming, 6.5 PRC is a short action?

I know I can do the research...which i'm in the middle of now, just confirming.

Here is a way to keep costs down........skip the smith....

Here is a way to keep costs down........skip the smith....

Thanks Homer....really appreciate it!

Short action and hand loads? Mag or standard bolt face?

I’m in love with the .257 stuff right now. If you run the numbers on the 133 or 135 Berger’s, you end up with a lot of punch at distance without extra recoil.

I am almost exclusively shooting a 25 creedmoor. 135 Berger at 2940fps. The BC is very high and it bucks the wind and holds velocity way out there. Barrel life is good and the round is very easy to tune, and stays in tune unlike other barrel burners. Components have been easy to find. Recoil is mild and I shoot it without a brake, can spot impacts under my 9.5lb rifle just fine. These bullets have been excellent on game from 25 yards to 670 (not that I condone long range shots without some serious practice/training).

I’d look hard at a fast twist .257 for those species. A well placed bullet will kill well, 135gr is plenty. IMO .257 fast twist superior to the 6.5 cal if you’re into handloading.

6.5 PRC with 147 eldm will add about 100 yards of “effective” killing distance with enough velocity to kill at 1000 yards for sea level.

25 creedmoor maxes out at 900 yards at sea level, but it burns much less powder to do it. My kills have been clean with excellent wound channels, if you like how Berger’s perform on game.

I’d highly recommend buying a tikka rifle and selling the barrel and stock and building off of that. In that case I’d say 300 wsm, 7 saum, 7 wsm, or 7 rm (I do like the 25 creedmoor also). I’ve done a bunch of these types of builds, pm me if you’d like my number to talk more about some specifics.

So many ways to go. You're in for some fun regardless of the cartridge you settle on.

Personally, if I was forced to use it on elk, I'd want at least a heavy, well constructed 6.5 bore at the minimum (but that's because I hunt elk with big 30 cal and 338 cal).

6.5 Creedmoor (std bolt face) is a marginal elk rifle, tp me, although my grandsons have used it on elk, deer and moose with great results.

I'd lean toward the 6.5 PRC (short, mag bolt face) or the 6.5 x 284 (Medium action or long) or the 6.5 x 280AI in (long action, std bolt face).

Have fun and keep us posted!

Zeke

PS: I have a few build on those crappy Rem actions. haha

I’ve built up a few on some of the higher end 700 clone actions. Your 2k number will be kinda hard to achieve, but possible.

I like the route of a semi custom action(stiller, bighorn, defiance) prefit proof barrel (limits your caliber selection tho)
Also need action wrench and barre vice but could be used for later builds
I like the manners stocks, but McMillan are same ballpark. I use trigger tech triggers feel great to me and are adjustable and not crazy spendy. Then that leaves bottom metal, BDL or mags are the main choices I’d go with. I like the Hawkins hunter flush bottom metal if you run mags.
Breakdown
action(500-1500)
Barrel(880 on sale)
Stock(560ish)
Trigger(160ish)
Bottom metal(200-300)

Total 2300 on the low end

The wife’s antelope/deer rig is a bighorn tl3 with a proof prefit 6.5 prc mess precision stock trigger tech trigger hunter flush mag bottom metal
Shoots the 143 eldx great!

My deer/antelope is a 28 nosler carbon six remage on a stiller manners stock trigger tech trigger Hawkins bdl with a Wyatt’s extended box

All awesome responses. Never owned a Tikka, but hear nothing but good things about their actions...

Thanks Again. Great start!

6.5 PRC is a popular choice at the moment. I think the 7 PRC will be pretty popular soon. I'm working on a 270 WSM with a 1-8 twist now. It will shoot LR high BC bullets better than the regular 1-10 twist factory 270 WSM.

All the calibers mentioned can efficiently kill games. Pick a cartridge with lots of available components.
Thanks. I have plenty of primers (thank goodness) for large rifle. Bullet's and brass don't seem to be a problem right now. I would like someone to give a first hand account of 270 WSM....and also, does that require a magnum bolt face or action?

6.5 PRC is a popular choice at the moment. I think the 7 PRC will be pretty popular soon. I'm working on a 270 WSM with a 1-8 twist now. It will shoot LR high BC bullets better than the regular 1-10 twist factory 270 WSM.
Very interested in how this rifle shoots...also, are you building this, or having someone build it for you?

Thanks

I’ve built up a few on some of the higher end 700 clone actions. Your 2k number will be kinda hard to achieve, but possible.

I like the route of a semi custom action(stiller, bighorn, defiance) prefit proof barrel (limits your caliber selection tho)
Also need action wrench and barre vice but could be used for later builds
I like the manners stocks, but McMillan are same ballpark. I use trigger tech triggers feel great to me and are adjustable and not crazy spendy. Then that leaves bottom metal, BDL or mags are the main choices I’d go with. I like the Hawkins hunter flush bottom metal if you run mags.
Breakdown
action(500-1500)
Barrel(880 on sale)
Stock(560ish)
Trigger(160ish)
Bottom metal(200-300)

Total 2300 on the low end

The wife’s antelope/deer rig is a bighorn tl3 with a proof prefit 6.5 prc mess precision stock trigger tech trigger hunter flush mag bottom metal
Shoots the 143 eldx great!

My deer/antelope is a 28 nosler carbon six remage on a stiller manners stock trigger tech trigger Hawkins bdl with a Wyatt’s extended box
Thanks for this awesome response. A guy on here is selling a remington SA, and I would love a 28 Nosler, but believe that is a LA?? I could be wrong.

I'm very blesssed being in the military, and get a pretty good discount through a few suppliers, so should be able to knock about 20% off of your estimate above (which I really appreciate).

My big question now is what caliber....again, would like it to be an option for elk as well. No plans on ever shooting over 400 yards....

Thanks again-

Bigperk

Short action and hand loads? Mag or standard bolt face?

I’m in love with the .257 stuff right now. If you run the numbers on the 133 or 135 Berger’s, you end up with a lot of punch at distance without extra recoil.

I am almost exclusively shooting a 25 creedmoor. 135 Berger at 2940fps. The BC is very high and it bucks the wind and holds velocity way out there. Barrel life is good and the round is very easy to tune, and stays in tune unlike other barrel burners. Components have been easy to find. Recoil is mild and I shoot it without a brake, can spot impacts under my 9.5lb rifle just fine. These bullets have been excellent on game from 25 yards to 670 (not that I condone long range shots without some serious practice/training).

I’d look hard at a fast twist .257 for those species. A well placed bullet will kill well, 135gr is plenty. IMO .257 fast twist superior to the 6.5 cal if you’re into handloading.

6.5 PRC with 147 eldm will add about 100 yards of “effective” killing distance with enough velocity to kill at 1000 yards for sea level.

25 creedmoor maxes out at 900 yards at sea level, but it burns much less powder to do it. My kills have been clean with excellent wound channels, if you like how Berger’s perform on game.
Yes, SA and hand loads....no bolt yet, so will have to order that.

I use to have a 257 AI, but sold it, as it wasn't the most accurate gun i've ever owned.

Thanks for this response. Everyone is helping me narrow it down.

Yes, SA and hand loads....no bolt yet, so will have to order that.

I use to have a 257 AI, but sold it, as it wasn't the most accurate gun i've ever owned.

Thanks for this response. Everyone is helping me narrow it down.
I didn’t see that you maybe had an elk hunt in mind. In that case .257 is probably not the best choice. But for deer and smaller critters I love mine.

Seems like based on what you want why not go 7MM-08?? IMHO would be hard to not like for anything deer/antelope and up to elk at a reasonable distance which you said would never exceed 400 yards.

I've done a bunch including 4-5 on 700 actions, all turned out great. Current favorites are Defiance Rebel/Bart CF/Proof stocked/TriggerTech triggers, but that likely wouldn't make your 2k budget:)

I
Seems like based on what you want why not go 7MM-08?? IMHO would be hard to not like for anything deer/antelope and up to elk at a reasonable distance which you said would never exceed 400 yards.

I've done a bunch including 4-5 on 700 actions, all turned out great. Current favorites are Defiance Rebel/Bart CF/Proof stocked/TriggerTech triggers, but that likely wouldn't make your 2k budget:)
've owned one...long, long time ago. Deer killing son of a gun! Great round. I've alway's trusted the 700 action, especially the older ones. There was a time period in the 80s-90s that it was a little suspect, but the action is solid.

Thanks for your input.

Bigperk

Nothing wrong with a 700 based 7MM-08 (y)

Qj3qh0.png

MG6wW3.png

Thanks. I have plenty of primers (thank goodness) for large rifle. Bullet's and brass don't seem to be a problem right now. I would like someone to give a first hand account of 270 WSM....and also, does that require a magnum bolt face or action?
I’m a big fan of the 270wsm… I built one for the 170 Berger’s on a Tikka action… I’ve been extremely busy so unfortunately no load development at this point… The 270wsm is underrated in my opinion…

I’m a big fan of the 270wsm… I built one for the 170 Berger’s on a Tikka action… I’ve been extremely busy so unfortunately no load development at this point… The 270wsm is underrated in my opinion…
Excited to learn what it can do

Nothing wrong with a 270WSM. I foolishly sold my custom 270WSM a while back and still sometimes think of building another.
A 150gr Berger or 170gr if you want to load that heavy is wicked medicine on game.
Do you already have an action or are you purchasing one?
There are plenty of prefit barrels available now but you do need to purchase some tools as stated above.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom