Post One Photo Per Day

Sometimes a wildlife shot is no further than your backyard.

_EDC6939-2.jpg

I’ve had to check out of this thread. Too big to load on a 1-bar cell signal- where I spend lots of time this time of year. I can still catch up from time to time. (y)

Does getting chased by one in your yard count as in the wild? The kids thought it was real funny…….

Hey fencer, I asked in the food court down below about wild mushroom pickers. It’s crazy this year.

I‘m scared of our bolete’s. They’re the orange caps I think (Mostly aspens).
97B1B3B1-1DDB-44D6-A039-F24F61732B32.jpeg

In all my years and over all my miles in the outdoors, I have yet to see a badger in the wild.
I spent quite a bit of time with the badger in the photo, all photos taken from the seat of my pickup. Obviously a young one, when encountered at daylight he ran to a burrow that was close to the road and backed in. I drove up fairly close where I had a good view of the burrow and waited. Soon his head poked out and shortly he started going about his business, seeming to ignore me while I sat in my truck, clicking away. After a bit he started moving away, so I started my truck to follow, as he was moving parallel to the road. As soon as he heard the truck engine start, he ran back and retreated into the burrow again. I shut off the engine and almost immediately his head poked out of the burrow. He came out and started posing again. After a few minutes he began to move away so, once again, I started the truck engine to follow him, and he, once again, retreated back to the burrow. We repeated that entire scenario one more time before he tired of the game and headed directly away from the road.

_AAM2795-2.jpg

The farmer whose 5,000 acres I lease in Kansas tells me you have not had your teeth rattled until you hit a badger hole while raking at 15 MPH ! I'll take his word on it....sounds like a good way to break an axle.

The farmer whose 5,000 acres I lease in Kansas tells me you have not had your teeth rattled until you hit a badger hole while raking at 15 MPH ! I'll take his word on it....sounds like a good way to break an axle.
well.....that is more than true..been there

Another youngster, this one poked his nose out of the tall roadside grass but retreated before I could get a photo. I could follow his progress by the waving grass caused by his passage. I idled along about 20 yards behind him, hoping he'd come back out and give me a shot. Each time he came out of the grass, I tried for a pic but he just wouldn't stay in the open long enough. After maybe 200 yards of this game, I think I annoyed him to the point I could see the grass shaking as he came back my direction, finally walking out right outside my window. This pic was taken at about five feet. Unlike the grouse situation at the bison range, I didn't step out of my truck with this guy.

08 12 07 157 copynx.jpg

Sunny Side Up.
A field near the house sure likes the summer rains this year.

View attachment 49980
My BIL has a 5bs tag and has been sending me pics. Been a long time since there was that much moisture down there.

He sent me a vid this morning of the Verde flooding like it used to when I was a kid. My apologies if any of you built too close to the river, but it makes me happy to see that river run again. Fishing will be kick azz in Horseshoe come spring. :)

ODW....... I sure appreciate you sharing all the art work you used to make a living with. We are all getting a pretty special treat. I’m sure Founder is sending a few checks your way. ???
I wish he was fattening my bank account, but alas he's a cheapskate worse than Scrooge. :ROFLMAO:

Problem is I'm about to run out of images that I have on this working computer. Although I literally have 10s of Ks of slides, the puter that my scanner works on is kaput right now. :mad:

Last edited:
Nothing like the quality of yours but I have hundreds too, stash away on a dozen different devices, I’m just too darn lazy to dig them out and sort through them. At one time I was going to print a book ( for a family history ) but I’m too lazy to do that too.

This guy cruised thru today while I was sitting on the porch. I believe it’s the same deer I’ve been posting in the scouting pic thread but I’m tired of competing with myself. :ROFLMAO:

He better not try that in 3 weeks when they drop the flag on muzzy season.:devilish:
95DBAE85-3A34-4F45-A5CD-E69D4EF403EF.jpeg

This image was taken on one of the earlier digital cams -- a Sony Mavica, circa late 1990s. It cost about $600 & recorded the pix on a 3.5" floppy disk. Each disk held between 15 and 40 low-res VGA-size pictures. As you can see, the quality left a bit to be desired. I have similar pix on unscanned 35MM Kodachome slides, tho.

Mount Rainier

Mtranier.jpg

Last edited:
Mt. Rainer and Mt. Hood are two of my favorite mountians to see, from every angle and elevation. Airial views are spectacular.

North America is a beautiful place, from the tundra to the limestone beaches of the Yucatán, including the grass plains and red rock canyons.

We are so fortune to be free to roam and look under ever rock and leaf.

I'm also surprised no one had a guess as to the gold-on-black artwork in reply #859. Maybe these in different colors will help.

cq5dam.web.835.835B.jpeg
PP47F-alt1.jpg

PP65-alt1.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I really misjudged them. With nothing to compare size, I thought they were crane sized. They're about the size of these willets I shot on the beach in Mazatlan, i.e. a bit larger than a pigeon. :ROFLMAO:

willets.jpg

Last edited:
I believe those are the critters that show up here in 100’s of small flocks twice a year. They only appear for a few days, and once in a great while they will land at my pond.

13a where? Az?
Yes AZ. About 1/3 of the dirt tanks seemed to have them.

Last edited:
I was going to try but I honestly had no ID.
So it appears no one is going to venture a guess about the etched elk image in reply #859 & #874.

This is where those images appear:

PP47F-alt1.jpg

This elk in the image below, originally published in the NRA's American Hunter magazine, was the 'model' used (in reverse) by noted artist Leon Parson to create the 'scratch' art for painting the safe. He obviously eliminated a lot of the background to cut down on his work load & the clutter that wouldn't show well in the 2-color art.

Reversed for the safe:

Bullelk6[1]b.jpg

Original:

Bullelk6[1].jpg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom