Post up what you drew

Bill. Although I have never hunted your hunt. I wouldn’t declare that a horrible tag to have. Ive applied but never drawn it in the past. I know the Burros hold some large mulies and cannot imagine that they never end up off. Also along the Arizona border all the way to reserve could hold some big bucks. I’d scout it hard and you should be able to turn up something decent. Just my 2 cents. Good luck! Merek
Thanks, Sickie. I'll do a bit more research and maybe turn this lemon into lemonade. I don't need to be hunting for just trophies, as anytime in the field is not bad.
Thanks again.
Bill

My son, 10 years old, drew 16C youth rifle elk on literally the first hunting application I have ever submitted for him. I am going on nine years of not drawing a tag in New Mexico and he pulls his first tag. I had a hard time getting him to sleep last night as he wanted to watch more and more videos of elk hunts from the Gila. Not sure if he or his old man is more excited. I wish every youth could draw a tag, what an unreal feeling for a son and his father.
Fun tag. My son had it a couple years ago killed a nice bull and we helped another kid get a nice bull the second day. Enjoy!

Youth unit 10 deer tag. Nov. 21-29
Any thoughts? Know it is a tougher hunt, but drew it as a 3rd choice as any hunt is better then no hunt. Son is ok going home empty as he has hunted a bunch. Will it be impossible to find a 160" plus buck with those late dates?

Fun tag. My son had it a couple years ago killed a nice bull and we helped another kid get a nice bull the second day. Enjoy!
Thank you Whompum, he is excited. It will obviously be his first out of state tag. We will make the best out of it and I am sure enjoy it. Do you mind me asking what type of bulls we should be looking for? I am sure he will be happy with anything but driving 13-14 hours I am hoping to get him a good representative of the area.

PC...……..I DREW UNIT 12 BULL AS WELL. ARE YOU HUNTING PRIVATE GROUND OR PUBLIC ??? IS THERE MUCH PUBLIC GROUND IN UNIT 12, I HAVE NOT HUNTED ELK IN NEW MEXICO BEFORE. HOPE YOU DO WELL...………….YD.

Thank you Whompum, he is excited. It will obviously be his first out of state tag. We will make the best out of it and I am sure enjoy it. Do you mind me asking what type of bulls we should be looking for? I am sure he will be happy with anything but driving 13-14 hours I am hoping to get him a good representative of the area.
We killed two 6x6 bulls between 260-300 Day one and two. Saw one 330ish bull day one and another scouting that was in the wilderness that was 340. I had hoped to see something larger when scouting but just didn't see one. My 12 year old could have cared less. He just wanted to shoot a bull the second he got the chance.

Youth unit 10 deer tag. Nov. 21-29
Any thoughts? Know it is a tougher hunt, but drew it as a 3rd choice as any hunt is better then no hunt. Son is ok going home empty as he has hunted a bunch. Will it be impossible to find a 160" plus buck with those late dates?
No not impossible. Very doable especially with those Later few days. Could kill a giant

Brother got the OIL Oryx on the small missile range and
Father in law got mobility impaired MB elk in 16D and mobility impaired deer in 6A/6C.

got 16a first archery 2b deer jan and fiance has 16a first rifle son didnt draw but we will be out and about for the holidays like usualy for him

Bill. Although I have never hunted your hunt. I wouldn’t declare that a horrible tag to have. Ive applied but never drawn it in the past. I know the Burros hold some large mulies and cannot imagine that they never end up off. Also along the Arizona border all the way to reserve could hold some big bucks. I’d scout it hard and you should be able to turn up something decent. Just my 2 cents. Good luck! Merek
is that unit 23. if its unit 23 theres nice mule deer in there for sure.

51 3rd rifle MB and 38 2nd rifle mule deer. I’m good on 51. If there was only one unit I could draw every year, it’s 51. The combined (elk) 51a/51b is just shy of 1,000 sq mi so competition is light. Never yet set foot in 38 and I’m thinking that I’ll stay in the NF area West of Corona. Also, my only experience deer hunting is WT/Coues.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom