Post WW II perspective

feddoc

Long Time Member
Not mine; but from a gun board I frequent.

My dad fought in WW2, and was stationed at Sugamo prison after WW2 and was part of the crew that hanged the bad guys.
I think it affected him deeply, and he went on (as the story goes by my mother) to conduct additional executions by hanging as ordered by the military right up to 1961 at Fort Leavenworth, KS, where we were stationed at the time.
He eventually wound up drinking himself to death at age 43.
He was part of the security apparatus at Sugamo, holding the prisoners, so he had access to every prisoner.
My 93 year old mother has had a trove of memorabilia from my Dad's time there (I was born in Tokyo), including Tojo's arrest record with his mugshot and finger prints.
There is a manuscript that documents the "Last Will and Testament" of a number of those hanged, including Tojo. Apparently my Dad and his orderly interviewed them before they were hanged.
This document includes a portrait by A. Fujiki, the artist, and the thoughts of some of the War Criminals before they were led out and hanged.
There are also treatises on the War and the thoughts of the Japanese criminals.
I also have many water colors of daily life at Sugamo signed by another artist. Yoshitaka Ogawa.
We have the autographs of the top 12 that were hanged, photos of Tokyo Rose, her autograph, and many other items.
My mother is now 93 and is winding down her days.
I want to put some of this, or all of this, into some form that makes sense.
I have thought about a book, a screenplay, or something. There is a story here about a man that enlisted in the Army before WW2, found his place in the military, did his duty as commanded, and it cost him his life.
My Dad was a tortured soul that was a good soldier and followed orders. He was a Major and was RIF'd to a MSGT in the late 50's, and stayed a major in the reserves.
He had a choice to leave the military or take a RIF rank....he took the RIF rank because the military was all he know and loved.
I would like to honor his memory but I am not sure how.
Has anyone done something like this before?
I am open to talking with anyone that might be able to provide some thoughts on the matter, or if anyone can put me in touch with someone that could help it would be most welcomed.
Many thanks to all.

A lot of that stuff should be in a war museum or something. The criminal war trials are well documented.

I also feel they should find a good museum for the WW11 Pacific campaign and donate those items to the museum. Most of those items are one of a kind and should never be lost to time.

RELH

Not mine; but from a gun board I frequent.

My dad fought in WW2, and was stationed at Sugamo prison after WW2 and was part of the crew that hanged the bad guys.
I think it affected him deeply, and he went on (as the story goes by my mother) to conduct additional executions by hanging as ordered by the military right up to 1961 at Fort Leavenworth, KS, where we were stationed at the time.
He eventually wound up drinking himself to death at age 43.
He was part of the security apparatus at Sugamo, holding the prisoners, so he had access to every prisoner.
My 93 year old mother has had a trove of memorabilia from my Dad's time there (I was born in Tokyo), including Tojo's arrest record with his mugshot and finger prints.
There is a manuscript that documents the "Last Will and Testament" of a number of those hanged, including Tojo. Apparently my Dad and his orderly interviewed them before they were hanged.
This document includes a portrait by A. Fujiki, the artist, and the thoughts of some of the War Criminals before they were led out and hanged.
There are also treatises on the War and the thoughts of the Japanese criminals.
I also have many water colors of daily life at Sugamo signed by another artist. Yoshitaka Ogawa.
We have the autographs of the top 12 that were hanged, photos of Tokyo Rose, her autograph, and many other items.
My mother is now 93 and is winding down her days.
I want to put some of this, or all of this, into some form that makes sense.
I have thought about a book, a screenplay, or something. There is a story here about a man that enlisted in the Army before WW2, found his place in the military, did his duty as commanded, and it cost him his life.
My Dad was a tortured soul that was a good soldier and followed orders. He was a Major and was RIF'd to a MSGT in the late 50's, and stayed a major in the reserves.
He had a choice to leave the military or take a RIF rank....he took the RIF rank because the military was all he know and loved.
I would like to honor his memory but I am not sure how.
Has anyone done something like this before?
I am open to talking with anyone that might be able to provide some thoughts on the matter, or if anyone can put me in touch with someone that could help it would be most welcomed.
Many thanks to all.
Feddoc

I love this kind of stuff I am a WW2 history buff. I would love to read and view his life works.

We did something similar for my wife's dad who took video of everything in his kids lives. We took old 8mm and his video collection and my brother in law met with a video tech in Phoenix and together they put all of his films in one spot.
It is a blast to watch as it shows my wife when she was a kid growing up.
Go to a camera shop and ask them that is who lead us in the right direction. Good luck and I would love to see the finished film..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom