Post your Shiras moose photos!!!!

A young bull, private land in Wyoming .
Had a little help from the rancher getting him out.

Good luck and have fun !
132922_176342619056195_2944293_o_176342619056195 copy.jpg

Hunter...nice bull it is like that when you are relishing one of the once in a lifetime hunts. I killed a pretty good one in Alaska 20 years ago but this is my home state and been seeing them for years and hands off with no tag. But now game on!!!

Hunter let me look for the Alaskan bull its stuck away in some file...I'll also post the bull I led my dad to when he was 82 and then the cow he got when he was 90...

Cool Bulls!!!!.... very unlike Colorado they got very liberal with the season length and method. It use to be you draw tag and then pick method and season. Now...this might be the first year you can use all the seasons....Muzzy Sept 12-20 Bow Sept 12-30 rifle Oct 1-15. I have a TC Triumph muzzy but thinking I want to start with the Lyman trade rifle I made as a kit when I was a kid. I have shot elk with it kicks like a mule big cloud of smoke and crash!!!

Hunter this is the Alaska moose...best picture it was the day of disposable cameras!!!

thumbnail (24).jpg

Adventurewriter,
I too drew my first ever Shiras tag in southwestern Montana this year and will be happy to share any moose hunting info I come across which may be of any help. I'll shoot you a PM later to get the conversation started.
Best of luck on your moose hunt!!!

Nice bulls!! How much of the meat was wrecked in the front shoulder of your moose Ralphie? Is that the preferred method to anchor them in the shoulder to get them down quick?

Cool Bulls!!!!.... very unlike Colorado they got very liberal with the season length and method. It use to be you draw tag and then pick method and season. Now...this might be the first year you can use all the seasons....Muzzy Sept 12-20 Bow Sept 12-30 rifle Oct 1-15. I have a TC Triumph muzzy but thinking I want to start with the Lyman trade rifle I made as a kit when I was a kid. I have shot elk with it kicks like a mule big cloud of smoke and crash!!!

Not so good for a bowhunter.

Great bulls on this thread!

LBH Great bull...ohhhh those killer spears would run you through...but as you mentioned the memories of the hunt are the best part...
Yeh, I love the look of long pointed bull moose and I still don't understand why point length doesn't contribute to the B&C profile. My bull doesn't score worth crap because his brows don't fork. But he was still the best looking bull I saw and I was plenty happy to take him home. I'm excited for you and I'm sure you will have another epic adventure to write about.

A friend had two buddies hunting elk in the Snowy Range last Oct. They found this bull and
Moose.png
posted on Facebook asking if anyone had a 38 tag. They took the hunter right to this bull. Never did hear a net. Heard gross was just over 200.

Last edited:
Been up and finding some moose I have seen six bulls so far and one that looks like he could end up good but was a few weeks ago and still had lots of growing to do....they are not all over the place but there...just take one the right one...saw one the other day so-so antlers but his body seems supergiant...I know tehy are all giant but this some seem particularly so.....he had a really angular face and barely a dew flap...I am thinking he is an older bull

Been up and finding some moose I have seen six bulls so far and one that looks like he could end up good but was a few weeks ago and still had lots of growing to do....they are not all over the place but there...just take one the right one...saw one the other day so-so antlers but his body seems supergiant...I know tehy are all giant but this some seem particularly so.....he had a really angular face and barely a dew flap...I am thinking he is an older bull

I see many guys on different sites claiming a 140 is a giant. Even worse than antelope, guys can't judge them, mainly because their rarely able to hunt them and put their hands on them. The first post I made in this thread is of a bull that grossed a little over 170, he netted 161 and change and was the best bow killed bull in the state that year. I see a lot of those 140 ish bulls on this thread. Take your time! You have 3 seasons to shoot a 140 class bull. When you see something bigger, like the first pic I posted, you'll know! The first thing my buddy and I said to each other when we saw that moose was, "we need to stick an arrow in him!" Good luck!

I'm envious of your position, sitting on 20pts myself!

Yeah DW I'm coming to start to think it is like pronghorns you know quickly its a big one if its a big one...

Tiny that one aint tiny!!! the symmetry on that one is fantastic Sheep looks like a good one too

Any body have idea what to use as a visual reference in regards to spread like how wide are alert looking at you ears....between the eyes and such I use the six inch ear for pronghorns and it is a helpful measuring reference

Alert, ears are about 20-22” ear tip to ear tip. Laid out flat you might get 28-30”. You want to find one at least 6-8” outside the ears. Look for forked brow tines if you want score. All Shiras will be 6 3/4” to 7 1/2” on the one circumference so don’t even worry about that. If you can find long and wide palms, you’ve got a shooter for sure.

A friend had two buddies hunting elk in the Snowy Range last Oct. They found this bull andView attachment 9645 posted on Facebook asking if anyone had a 38 tag. They took the hunter right to this bull. Never did hear a net. Heard gross was just over 200.
We've all been waiting on info for that bull. Heard the online post made his quest for getting it scored a pain in the azz. Pizzed off some outfitters from Utah we heard as well as they were looking for this bull for a paid hunter, governors tag or some such.
That's the first field pic I've seen of it.
Congrats to him !

Sept 27, 2019, WY Unit 34. Ravin crossbow, Muzzy Trocar Broadhead. I had cataracts at the time so using a Crossbow with a scope for the archery hunt was most helpful. 293 6/8 SCI, 39” wide! WYOGA First Place for Archery in 2019.
2BC2BEC8-DA8E-4D35-B3BF-C07B42729163.jpeg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom