Powder differences

R

rost495

I have not kept up with modern powder advances. Last powder I shot was Goex 2 and 3F, from lots in the 70s.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of all the powders(not pellets)??

Examples: Black is easy to ignite but corrosive. Pyrodex hard to ignite, not as corrosive(plus no explosives license to sell). Triple seven same as pyrodex but more speed.

Which powder ignites the best?
Which is moisture proof?
Which is faster?
Which provides least pressures?
Which is easiest to clean or allows most shots between cleanings? IE second shot is easy to load for follow up?

One last thought-- Why are max loads often mentioned around 150 grains, yet accuracy seems to suck after about 100 most times? Bad patches, sabots, bases, too much pressure to the base? Bad barrel harmonics? I can have extremely accurate max loads in centerfire guns- why not in MZ?

Wow-- I'm seriously curious, not intending to start flames. But what a can of worms. I know most of the answers for smokeless and know how friggin long it took me to learn them. Picking your brains for data.

Jeff

In my experience there is no doubt 777 is cleaner and easier to use than pyrodex or BP. I just shot 25 shots thru my apex with a spit patch between each shot and could have kept shooting. No way would I have been able to do that with pyro or BP unless I was maybe shooting lubed conicals. It takes me nearly an extra 20-30 minutes to cleanup after shooting a lot of pyrodex compared to the 777. The 209 primer or a musket primer is dirtier than a load of 777 IMO.

Accuracy - I have better groups with pyrodex in my older knight but I have spent more time working out the pyro loads in it. My new apex is shooting very good but I have not really found the sweet spot yet either with 777. I have never been confortable with sabots cause I have never been able to shoot really tight groups with them vs conicals. I'm looking though :)

IMO in a big bore MZ - a lot can go wrong that will affect where that bullet goes. Loading high powered rifle loads in your basement at home or from a factory is definitly easier and the gun is cleaner after each shot as well - trying to be as accurate as a high powered modern gun is about impossible unless you have a program and stick to it for each shot.

777 is much less corrosive than pyrodex in my experience. It can foul the breech end with carbon but the carbon “crud ring” is alleviated with right primers and load, dissolves with a spit patch. 777 is also significantly hotter than black powder by volume so you work up slowly. Putting heavy charges of 777 behind a conical can increase pressures fast, faster yet if you use 3F vs 2F. I have never loaded more than 100 grains with any projectile, accuracy seems to decline somewhat anyway at or above that point.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom