Power Belt Loads for T/C Omega?

R

RandyWeaver

Finally broke down and bought a .50 cal. Omega (stainless, black stock) for an anticipated hunt in Colorado next year and I can't wait to shoot it. Has anyone worked up any loads for the Power Belt or Black Belt bullets with 777, Clear Shot, or Pyrodex (powder) in the Omega?

Are you shooting 240 use 110 gr ffg 777 300 use 120gr ffg 777 You can go up to 150 gr on each of these but these loads shoot best, in my omega SS Canmo, Try different loads to find what shoots best for your gun do it in 5 or 10 gr,
Copper ones shoot a little higher then the lead ones, copper is easier to clean up after then the lead. But the lead ones are cheaper to shoot. I also use 777 fffg Max is 100gr, You just got a nice gun now you will have to shoot it alot to break-in that SS barrel.

Thanks Gator, now I have a good place to start. Really appreciate the info. Have you tried Clean Shot powder?

Venado muy grande!

Here's a very good trick for making sure you have consistent charges for each load. **this is not recommended by any loading manual** I assume no liability if someone blows themself up...try at your own risk.

But, it makes sense. Measure your charge by volume. Then weigh it on a scale. Then weigh your other charges up to the same weight. You'll get a lot less variation in your charges that way.

When you increase your charge by 5 or 10 grains -- DO NOT use the scale for that. Use your volume measurer first, then weigh it, then weigh up a bunch of charges @ the same weight. I tightened my groups up a lot doing that.

Clean shot don't get the ft per sec that 777 does for the same gr of powder, it cleans up about the same. Another trick you can do is get a small 3/8 drive racket and a socket that fit your beechplug and use it makes thing a little faster and helps if your plug gets alittle tight, grease your plug each time you put in. Start out shooting one shot and cleaning to get your barrel to season up later on I shoot up to 5 rounds between cleaning. What Bill told you is the way to get great groups. I also use the round tubes you get some of your sabots in and I cut them in half and the I cap both end and pre-measure out 15 loads(powder) to take hunting, When I need to reload out in the field I just pull a tube and pour it in , work great.

Gator

I believe you will void your new Omega's warranty shooting 150 grains of 777. T/C does allow you to shoot (3) Pyrodex pellets (150 grains by volume) -- but the 777 loose powder equivalent to 3 Pyro pellets is 127.5 grains. In other words, when you shot 150 grains 777 -- you were actually shooting 172.5 grains

Honey!.. I swear I got that stainless rifle free from an elderly widow at work that recently lost her husband.. I would never lie to you babycakes!

The last sentence of my post listed above should of read:

In other words, when you shot 150 grains 777 -- you were actually shooting 172.5 grains (of Pyrodex).

Honey!.. I swear I got that stainless rifle free from an elderly widow at work that recently lost her husband.. I would never lie to you babycakes!

I got some of these loads from 777 FFG powder Company, we have been shooting up to 130 gr with no problems, have shot afew loads around the 150 but wasn't very accurate. I have gotten the best results around 110-120. Now Max Load for(3f) FFFG was 100.At that time was shooting the 295 powerbelts

Once again, the guys at MM come through with flying colors. This is my first foray into muzzleloading, and I'm really looking forward to it - especially now that I have some good, solid recommendations.

777 - Still haven't figured out what I "traded" to obtain this gun; I've run out of trading material. (Not that I'd ever stretch the truth, of course...)

Am ordering up some 245 and 295 grain powerbelt aerotips for my new Omega tonighyt, and some T/C Maxihunters at 350 grains. I lan to shoot them this weekend or a couple weeks from now, depending on some other stuff. Will post up my learnins and groupings as soon as I get em.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom