Powerbelt hollowpoints?

peez3006

I have a question for those who shoot powerbelt hollowpoints. What have your results been? I just returned from Utah. I shot a deer at about 150 yrds. I hit him a little far back. The bullet hit a rib and exploded. It didn't bust any of his guts or his paunch. Some fragments of bullet or bone put three lascerations in his liver. He bled out internally after he piled up in the bottom of the canyon. I was shooting 295 gr. HP powerbelts with 105 gr. of 777. Has anyone else had this type of performance with this bullet?

Don P.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-06 AT 01:38AM (MST)[p]
I've read 25-30 posts just like yours. The bullet that fragments most is the lead hollow-points - followed by the copper-clad HPs - then lastly the Aerotips.

The only trustworthy Powerbelt is going to be the new Platinums. Being they just came out this spring, there are no hunting reviews on this bullet yet.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

YES!!!! Ive shot a deer and an elk now with the copper clad Powerbelts and they turned to less than paper thin flakes. They are absolutely worthless in my book. The deer did go down only because of shot placement but the bullet barely penetrated before breaking up. My bull from this year luckily was already fatally hit with my first shot a 410 grain hornady great plains that retained over 95% of the bullet weight and the powerbelt was sent as a finisher when he was already down. The powerbelt again out of my .50 broke apart and turned to gold flakes before getting much penetration at all. Both shots where from the same distance. Im sticking with my 95grains of powder and 410 grain great plains hornady. The retention was nothing short of AMAZING. 75yards quartering away broke back rib went through vitals broke 2 opposite ribs and hit the shoulder bone on the off side went through the bone and muscle and the bullet was protruding out of the skin. And Yes it left a very serious blood trail the short 20 yards he stumbled.
bullelk1.jpg

We have killed 6 bucks with the copper hollow points. We had good luck with them but they all had good shot placement.

They do hold a decent group out of my Thompson Black Mountian Magnum.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom