Prairie Dogs??

BrianID

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-18 AT 06:18AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-18 AT 06:17?AM (MST)

I've seen a number of these mounds in Southern NM and can't figure out what made them. For the last 3 years I've thought they were prairie dog mounds. However, I have not seen a prairie dog yet. Most of these mounds I've seen around Deming. What made these mounds?
D3_C2_BC28_7_A46_4_C30_A403_DACCA761_ABFC.jpg

10_C680_C8_8_CDF_49_B3_95_C2_49_A9_DDEF8655.jpg

Too funny. My brother-in-law and me were talking about it two weeks ago when we were down there around Deming. My boy did some internet research and they seem to be some sort of kangaroo rat that is native to that area.

Thank you everyone for answering my question. I was hoping they were prairie dog towns that needed population control. The kangaroo rats make sense. In some areas there are a bunch of these mounds concentrated in a small area which made me think they were prairie dog towns.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom