Pre-1990 Photo Contest ... Let's See 'Um!

Photo contest

Founder

Founder Since 1999
I think this should be a good contest if we can get some good participation. It may require some of you to dig into old photo albums and snap photos of old photos, but it'll be worth it.

In this photo contest, let's see some Pre-1990 Success Photos. Any wild game species. The older the better!! Maybe grandpa or dad with a trophy buck hanging out the back of the truck, or dad's uncle with a giant bull. You get the point.

We'll run the photo contest for a month or so and then I'll draw a winner from all of you who share photos. Each photo shared will count as one entry in the drawing. It'll be fun, just share some neat pics!

The contest prizes for the winner will be a Large European Skull Hanger and a Medium angle European Skull Hanger from Dead On Display. So you'll have one to hang a big bull elk rack from and one for your big buck. These skull hanging kits are real cool, so even if you don't win, jump over to their site (https://www.deadondisplay.com) and check them out.
Thanks to the folks at Dead On Display for the hangers! They're helping to keep Monster Muleys a fun site to visit, so please support them.

Visit Dead On Display!!
The hangers are 100% American made and locally sourced and the company is based in Logan, Utah.
large-dead-on-display-hanger-699644_1024x1024.jpg

My dad and his buddies used to clean house on the coyotes. It was a whole operation after they’d get home with skinning, cleaning, stretching, sewing holes, etc. so he could sell them. Always fun to see how many they’d bring home.
2D8E0B79-2304-4789-A4E5-06A43A2D3644.jpeg

Here’s my dad and grandpa from most likely the 70’s or early 80’s.
DA780AAB-572F-411D-8574-2F53971C03FE.jpeg

I don't want any of these in the contest but thought I'd contribute a few...

BC bears circa 1985

I13929[1].jpg

Randy Epperson with my AZ lion circa mid 1980s

lion.jpg

Me with a FL Osceola turkey circa mid-1980s

METURK2.JPG

Jim Varney (Earnest) and I with my AL whitetail
ji,V&me.jpg

Me with North Kaibab buck circa mid-1960s

MyKaibabmulie.jpg

Last edited:
First deer tag, 1987 Mancos CO. Mowed lawns all summer to buy an out of state tag. Utah was still 16, I was 14 that that was good in CO, I wanted to go so dad took me. It was a rodeo that morning but we killed 3 buck. Up to my elbow in blood and I was a happy boy for sure!

IMG_6587.jpeg
IMG_5731.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more not to be included as entries...

The meat pole on the North Kaibab
post-82-1189631603.jpg

Roger Beagle with my 1965 Kaibab buck I posted earlier and his...

post-82-1189631592.jpg

A friend and I (right) skinning the day's catch circa 1966-67

post-82-1189639840.jpg

A good day in the field circa 1966-67

post-82-1189639852.jpg

Roger Beagle and my oldest son Keith with his first big game kill circa 1972-73. Keith is now 58 yrs. old. Note the effective camo.

post-82-1189627924.jpg

Last edited:
eel, can you post a current photo of that Marlin? Its not important I just like looking at old rifles and wishing they could talk...
Tikka, I would be happy to. It's a Marlin 336-A. 30-30 caliber. I kept it all original. I enjoyed getting it out of the safe. Thanks for asking. I took my first blacktail with it and my best blacktail with it. It's a great brush gun for deer.
P1010207.JPG
P1010208.JPG

Thanks eel, those old guns are priceless...

My Granma had a Winchester 30-30 octagon barrel she received from my Grandpa as a Christmas gift in the late 1940's... I always wanted that rifle, it was always promised to my uncle... Well when she passed he did get that rifle and its long gone now from the family... Very sad...

I'll post a picture of her the rifle and a big ole buck she killed draped over her horse...

It will be later this week because I'm out of town...

Last edited:
Tikka, I would be happy to. It's a Marlin 336-A. 30-30 caliber. I kept it all original. I enjoyed getting it out of the safe. Thanks for asking. I took my first blacktail with it and my best blacktail with it. It's a great brush gun for deer.
Neat rifle, eel.

I bought my first centerfire in Phoenix on a vacation trip from NJ in 1960 and flew home with it in two pieces packed in my suitcase. It was a 336 T in 30-30. Two months later I used it to kill my very first deer -- a farm-fed, NY state white-tailed buck with 13" spikes and a huge body about like the mule deer Legacy posted above. I killed two mule deer in AZ after moving here in 1962 and kept the gun for about 20 years. Then in 1965, I bought my M70 .264 and rarely used any other rifle after that. So I wound up selling the 336 and have regretted it ever since. ?

Neat rifle, eel.

I bought my first centerfire in Phoenix on a vacation trip from NJ in 1960 and flew home with it in two pieces packed in my suitcase. It was a 336 T in 30-30. Two months later I used it to kill my very first deer -- a farm-fed, NY state white-tailed buck with 13" spikes and a huge body about like the mule deer Legacy posted above. I killed two mule deer in AZ after moving here in 1962 and kept the gun for about 20 years. Then in 1965, I bought my M70 .264 and rarely used any other rifle after that. So I wound up selling the 336 and have regretted it ever since. ?
You've had a long wonderful career and have seen and done a lot more than most of us, in a lot of cool places.

The hunting around here is more or less over. Can you swing a golf club, maybe that’s what we need to start doing.
And ya grandma was a badass..

Wow that is some buck Horsecorn. And the three spare tires, pillar spotlight and open sight rifle hanging on the gun rack in the back window was truly a “Back to the future” moment for me.
also, the hole in the right main beam is only the second one I’ve ever seen, my dad has one just like that. Any idea what causes that.

Ok let’s hear the story on how old yeller ended up in the river. Wow. ya shadow them were some good times. Back then I was told you can’t see big bucks without a light.

Ok let’s hear the story on how old yeller ended up in the river. Wow. ya shadow them were some good times. Back then I was told you can’t see big bucks without a light.

So, my dad and his buddy Dell were deer hunting... They had a tendency to get pretty liquored up. They decided at one point that they needed to go over to Dutch John. They figured the quickest way was to fjord the river. So my dad got behind the wheel and Dell on the roof. Dells job was to wave my dad off if it looked like the river was going to get too deep. Well, Dells reflexes were a little slow and he didn’t relay the message to my dad quick enough and down went the truck. My dad was pushed to the back of the truck when it was fully submerged. He said it looked like a washing machine in there with all of their gear whirling around. He somehow managed to slide open a small sliding window in the back and snaked himself out. He’s lucky to be alive. The truck sunk pretty deep and then eventually broke loose, went down river a ways until the axle caught a rock where it stayed. After the word got out, several people in rafts floated down the river breaking out the windows in an attempt to steal what was inside the truck but the current was too strong for anyone to hang onto the truck. After several attempts to remove the truck and threats from government agencies, the bureau of reclamation agreed to temporarily shut down the water flow at flaming gorge dam in order for them to get the truck out - and after a week in the river the truck was finally on dry ground.

So, at the time, my dad worked for Salt Lake Transportation. This was actually a customers truck. When my dads work got wind of what happened, they told him he needed to figure out what he was going to do about the situation. My dad told them that he would just purchase the truck outright. Little did they know, he had already had the truck running and drove it home. He ended up driving the truck for years after.

Another group of hunters was there and took the picture of truck in the river. YEARS later certain events brought my dad and the hunter that took the picture together (a story in and of itself). Eventually the hunter/photographer presented my dad with the blown up framed picture. My dad and the man who took the picture became very close friends. After my dad sold his shop and “retired” (in about 1998) he actually went to work for this man. My dad is still employed by this person and so am I.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom