Precision Rife Dead Center bullets

3TOE

Very Active Member
Just curious if anyone has any recent experience or opinion on the Precision Rifle bullets. I read a few of the older posts & responses, but there isn’t much info.
4862B7CB-308C-43DA-A957-A388CA9D56B6.png

I used the 240 gr 40 cal in a 50 cal muzzleloader last year for antelope. With a fine tuned load, you can have pie plate consistency at 200 yds, maybe further.

I used the 240 gr 40 cal in a 50 cal muzzleloader last year for antelope. With a fine tuned load, you can have pie plate consistency at 200 yds, maybe further.
Geez... I don’t mean to sound harsh, but that isn’t very impressive. The way they tout their accuracy I would have thought it would be substantially better. I don’t plan to shoot over 200 personally, but hopefully I can dial in a grouping a little better.
What was your opinion of the bullet performance on the antelope? Did you get a full pass through?

Geez... I don’t mean to sound harsh, but that isn’t very impressive. The way they tout their accuracy I would have thought it would be substantially better. I don’t plan to shoot over 200 personally, but hopefully I can dial in a grouping a little better.
What was your opinion of the bullet performance on the antelope? Did you get a full pass through?
"Consistency" and "maybe further" are the two main words here. I have a friend who shoots a 2" groups at 200 yards. Usually they are three shot groups and he can't do it all of the time. With a lot of long range target shooters they shoot more than ten shots, then throw out a couple of the flyers. I think the point was constant killing groups at 200 yards on an antelope. What do you think.

Consistency and accuracy are worlds apart in black powder science.

Unless you match their test rifle and loading nuances, you will not get their same performance.

This is why I said the bullet will repeatedly (consistently) hit an 8" circle at 200 yds. Playing with the load in your gun will certainly tighten up your group. I was using a "generic" 100 grs by volume (70 by weight) and got the pie plate thing at 200. Gun is a Traditions Vortex and CCI magnum primers.

And Yes, I know that is very subjective with wind and other variables at 200 yards
Understood... maybe I’m just expecting slightly too much. I recently parted ways with a gun that I was convinced was just simply bad luck that I never was happy with performance on the range.

Consistency and accuracy are worlds apart in black powder science.

Unless you match their test rifle and loading nuances, you will not get their same performance.

This is why I said the bullet will repeatedly (consistently) hit an 8" circle at 200 yds. Playing with the load in your gun will certainly tighten up your group. I was using a "generic" 100 grs by volume (70 by weight) and got the pie plate thing at 200. Gun is a Traditions Vortex and CCI magnum primers.
To be honest 8” at 200 isn’t too bad for any muzzleloader at least in my own experiences I’ve had with the handful that I’ve had.
I bought a Paramount Pro in .50 cal. As you stated I plan to spend some time with it & find a good load for it. I bought the 300 gr Dead Centers & I’m waiting on some Pittman bullets that I ordered.
Just curious, did you have a pass through on your antelope?

To be honest 8” at 200 isn’t too bad for any muzzleloader at least in my own experiences I’ve had with the handful that I’ve had.
I bought a Paramount Pro in .50 cal. As you stated I plan to spend some time with it & find a good load for it. I bought the 300 gr Dead Centers & I’m waiting on some Pittman bullets that I ordered.
Just curious, did you have a pass through on your antelope?
Yes, complete pass through.

Been using them for years, very accurate bullet. Using the 240 gr 40cal in my Thompson center encore with mgm custom barrel with a muzzle brake. 86grains of blackthorn 209 weighted and I’m getting 2380 ft per sec. shooting a 1 1/2 group at 100 yrds

Thanks! That is pretty impressive. I hope I have that kind of success with them. Are you using the sabots that come with them or an alternate?

I shoot the bullet and weight as stated above.I don’t get to technical with muzzys groups but I’ve killed a few bucks with these bullets. One was at 160 the other was at 269.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom