Premium Rifle?

It might be, they only had a 70% success rate in the early rifle on that unit last year. Having all the hunts may be an advantage on that unit or other units like that, if you have max points.

Basic economic principle states that a good or service is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Look at the draw odds for the premium tag for those units, and you will see that there are lots of folks who think it is worth it.

Personally, I think the premium tag would be worth it if;
1) you can't get large blocks of time off work
2) you live close to the unit
3) you want to give it a shot with your bow, but still want to have some backup insurance in case you can't get an arrow into a bull

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-11 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]Daxter you hit the nail square on the head. I live close and with school at work time is tight, I want to try with a bow, but want to have big insurance policy behind me with the ability to do the rifle and muzzle loader hunts. My odds of drawing are not the best, somewhere in the 1/30 or so area with my 9 points give or take lot. I have the money and would do a euro mount after the kill anyway because I think they look sweet, so I would not have to flip a big taxidermy bill in the end.

There is only one Premium for max points and two for everyone else. I highly doubt I would be the max point holder. If I don't draw I still get a point and am that much more sure I can pull a killer archery tag a few more years down the road.

+ 1 to what Daxter stated. It also sounds like you had it pretty much somed up that way already. Be lucky and draw a great tag or build points for a great hunt down the road if you don't draw. Win - win!!!!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom